Seabourn Quest to Antarctica

Verdecruiser

Signed up for the November cruise in 2017. First trip to Antarctica and so welcome any advice on (a) what to pack for the trip, and (b) what special measures to take against the freezing cold. Thanks

1. Rent rubber boots from Seabourn

2. Pack a pair of waterproof over-pants

3. I wore padded ski pants under my waterproof

4. Seabourn provides a parka and shell jacket

5. Seabourn also provides a woolly hat

6. Dress in layers. I would wear my heavy ski undershirt, my fleece and then the Seabourn parka.

7. Do take waterproof gloves

8. I took long, thermal underwear but didn't require them. Nevertheless, they don't take up much space so best to have.

9. Evenings are typical Seabourn attire. The days tended to be pretty casual.

10. Remember that you are going from warm weather ports, to cold weather (Antarctic) back to warm weather so you need to pack lighter stuff too.

Hope this helps.

Please let me know what you mean by typical Seabourn evening wear for gentlemen.

Thank you.

For elegant casual evenings, a jacket, proper trousers (i.e. not jeans) and a shirt. For formal, either a dark suit or a tux.

For formal, either a dark suit or a tux.

This only applies to the main dining room. Other restaurants won't bother if you don't have a tie or a jacket. I never took a jacket with me on the Quest and it appeared that several other passengers were like me, totally indifferent to formal nights. I think there are enough penguins in Antarctica without cruise passengers dressing like them!

Further to Roxburgh's excellent list I've been reading earlier threads and other things that could be useful are

1. Heavy duty ziplock bags for electronics in seabourn rucksack

2. Crocs or similar for walking to boot room pre zodiacs

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Verdecruiser, My husband & I were on the Quest's January Antarctica voyage, and it was truly one of our greatest travel experiences! We followed Ship to Shore Travel's recommendations (Seabourn gear provider) for clothing, which were quite helpful. Here are a few thoughts:

• The two-piece Seabourn parka is terrific. We also brought our own lighter puffy jackets for warmer days, but you could easily use the Seabourn liner on its own.
  • Boot rental was a breeze. We also rented poles, but didn't feel they were critical.
  • Pack a neck gaiter, hat, waterproof gloves, glove liners (a must for taking photos), heavy socks & sock liners.
  • Base layer and fleece layer on top & bottom; waterproof pants & the two-piece parka.
  • Waterproof bags, sunscreen & sunglasses; I brought hand warmers, but didn't need them.

Also be comforted to know that Seabourn stocks everything in its on-board shop, so you'll have a back-up if you've forgotten or lose something.

I have blog posts on all of the trip ports, which you might find helpful. The "Antarctica Day 1" blog includes some info & photos on clothing.

Happy Planning & Happy Travels!

Mary

Travel Blog: http://www.themodernpostcard.com

This only applies to the main dining room. Other restaurants won't bother if you don't have a tie or a jacket. I never took a jacket with me on the Quest and it appeared that several other passengers were like me, totally indifferent to formal nights. I think there are enough penguins in Antarctica without cruise passengers dressing like them!

Hahaha, thanks for the tips! ;)

Verdecruiser, My husband & I were on the Quest's January Antarctica voyage, and it was truly one of our greatest travel experiences! We followed Ship to Shore Travel's recommendations (Seabourn gear provider) for clothing, which were quite helpful. Here are a few thoughts:

• The two-piece Seabourn parka is terrific. We also brought our own lighter puffy jackets for warmer days, but you could easily use the Seabourn liner on its own.
  • Boot rental was a breeze. We also rented poles, but didn't feel they were critical.
  • Pack a neck gaiter, hat, waterproof gloves, glove liners (a must for taking photos), heavy socks & sock liners.
  • Base layer and fleece layer on top & bottom; waterproof pants & the two-piece parka.
  • Waterproof bags, sunscreen & sunglasses; I brought hand warmers, but didn't need them.

Also be comforted to know that Seabourn stocks everything in its on-board shop, so you'll have a back-up if you've forgotten or lose something.

I have blog posts on all of the trip ports, which you might find helpful. The "Antarctica Day 1" blog includes some info & photos on clothing.

Happy Planning & Happy Travels!

Mary

Travel Blog: www.themodernpostcard.com

Thanks Mary for the useful advice. We are looking forward to our trip in November!

The most important thing to pack for an Antarctica cruise is a flexible attitude. Those who are rigid and wanting everything set in stone will be frustrated and miss out appreciating the beauty and awe of this amazing place.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

81Zoomie, We booked our January 2017 cruise in September 2016 on a guarantee. I remember that the 2018 schedule had recently been posted when we booked, so I'm guessing the 2019 sailings will be up at the end of summer or early fall. Also for what it's worth, keep an eye on pricing once you book. Fares fluctuated on our cruise, and if you're not in the penalty phase, you should be able to get an adjustment. Also for what it's worth, Antarctica on Seabourn was a phenomenal adventure! Good luck!

Mary

Travel Blog: http://www.themodernpostcard.com

• 1 month later...
My wife and I took that cruise last year and purchased the Ship to Shore package.

It was perfect.

We are booked on Quest 2/3/18 to South America & Antartica 45 days and cannot find a roll call for that cruise. Would like to chat with you about your experience on the 2017 sailing.

Pat Davis

Summerlin NV

pat@patdavis.com

Ship to Shore is the company that Seabourn uses to supply gear needed for Antarctica and Alaska. You can rent waterproof boots from them, and they'll deliver them to your suite. I highly recommend renting the boots: it avoids the need to pack these heavy and bulky items in your luggage.

They also rent/sell additional items, and sell complete packages of recommended clothing for Antarctica and Alaska. And finally, they supply the jackets Seabourn provides for passengers heading to these destinations.

About 6 to 8 weeks before your cruise, you'll be asked to order the jacket size you want, and given the option or renting or buying other gear from Ship to Shore.

We are booked on Quest 2/3/18 to South America & Antartica 45 days and cannot find a roll call for that cruise. Would like to chat with you about your experience on the 2017 sailing.

Pat Davis

Summerlin NV

pat@patdavis.com

There is a roll call for the leg starting 2/3

There is a roll call for the leg starting 2/3

Thanks! I found the thread, but not much activity yet. Also, I misquoted and the cruise is 42 not 45 days. Get on ship Santiago - Feb 3rd and depart Manaus - March 17th, 2018. We are sailing on Crystal Northwest Passage August 14th and have been focused on that voyage but need to start getting airline, hotel and tour arrangements in place for the 2/3/18 trip. First time to this part of the world, so any tips, info appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
Signed up for the November cruise in 2017. First trip to Antarctica and so welcome any advice on (a) what to pack for the trip, and (b) what special measures to take against the freezing cold. Thanks

Hello. We are on for 42 days. What shore trips are you planning? Do you think they are a trifle expensive? Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

Glyn

We must be naive but we expected Seabourn to provide necessary equipment :')!

Go on the website

Seabourn provides jackets gratis and boots u can rent. At some point we order They also have a store where u can purchase other gear but cheaper to buy yourself