Luxury Cruise Basics: The 6 Types of Upscale Sailings

LauraS

I would once again like to speak to the "opinion" that you can have a luxury experience on a mainstream cruise line. First it is important to understand how strongly I feel about the "class" system. This is very old school. My DH cruised from his home in England to the U.S. a long time ago (on the Queen Elizabeth) where he sailed in the lowest possible category. It was so bad that no one that has not experienced it can imagine what it is like to be there. However, it was interesting that the "upper class" passengers were so bored that they went down into the "lower class" to party.

Now back to this century! If I want luxury, I sail on a "true" luxury cruise line (those delineated by Cruise Critic in the article). Oceania is not luxury ....... Viking Ocean is not luxury nor is Azamara. When you sail on a mainstream cruise line, the majority of the ship is mainstream. Only a tiny part of the ship is supposedly luxury. If everyone on the ship is not treated equally once they step outside of their suite (not cabin or stateroom) I do to want to sail on that ship.

I have no opinions on river cruises however the requirements would be the same!

Crystal and Sea Dream fall into the luxury category as well. The others do not, no matter how often CC tries to pass them off as such.

They absolutely do fall into that category. When the cruise industry starts to set some standards there will always be different opinions on luxury cruise lines 51/1 stars and the ultra luxury cruise lines 6 stars.

Oceania, Viking, Azamara, Crystal, Sea Dream are luxury cruise lines but are 5 1/2 stars. While Regent, Seabourn, Siliversea are ultra luxury cruise lines that are 6 star.

I have to disagree with you. Sea Dream is at the top of the luxury list and definitely rates 6 stars. Regent and Silversea are sailing ships that are too large to be luxury and thus have to only get 5 1/2 stars. Any ship with more than 300 passengers can never, IMO, be classified as 6 star luxury.

I have to disagree with you. Sea Dream is at the top of the luxury list and definitely rates 6 stars. Regent and Silversea are sailing ships that are too large to be luxury and thus have to only get 5 1/2 stars. Any ship with more than 300 passengers can never, IMO, be classified as 6 star luxury.

That 300 passenger cutoff for luxury is just your opinion and no one else's that I know of. It's totally unrealistic in today;s economic world. Other than Sea Dream and the Scenic Eclipse when it debuts noting else fits. Le Ponant has fewer than 300 but it's certainly not luxury and even Windstar with its former Seabourn triplets does not qualify. But to each his own. I hear sometimes the Staten Island Ferry carries fewer than 300 passengers.

I would once again like to speak to the "opinion" that you can have a luxury experience on a mainstream cruise line. First it is important to understand how strongly I feel about the "class" system. This is very old school. My DH cruised from his home in England to the U.S. a long time ago (on the Queen Elizabeth) where he sailed in the lowest possible category. It was so bad that no one that has not experienced it can imagine what it is like to be there. However, it was interesting that the "upper class" passengers were so bored that they went down into the "lower class" to party.

Now back to this century! If I want luxury, I sail on a "true" luxury cruise line (those delineated by Cruise Critic in the article). Oceania is not luxury ....... Viking Ocean is not luxury nor is Azamara. When you sail on a mainstream cruise line, the majority of the ship is mainstream. Only a tiny part of the ship is supposedly luxury. If everyone on the ship is not treated equally once they step outside of their suite (not cabin or stateroom) I do to want to sail on that ship.

I have no opinions on river cruises however the requirements would be the same!

As someone who has chosen to go the big ship route in a "luxury" suite I can offer a different point of view. We're a family with 3 kids, aged 1 to 15. I want to sail in a luxury ship and can afford to do so, however these lines are not super friendly to toddlers (in fact some ships have a minimum age of 8 or higher). I'm on vacation and enjoy cruising, and I want to cruise with my kids but I also want a chance to rest and relax. So NCL's Haven is a nice hybrid until my daughter is older. We can enjoy butler service and avoid having to wait in lines with a toddler swinging from my arms. It's not that I'm looking for a class system, but that the true "luxury" lines offer very little for the younger kids. If I hold off on this type of travel until she's older, than my oldest misses opportunities to travel with us while he's still a kid.

As someone who has chosen to go the big ship route in a "luxury" suite I can offer a different point of view. We're a family with 3 kids, aged 1 to 15. I want to sail in a luxury ship and can afford to do so, however these lines are not super friendly to toddlers (in fact some ships have a minimum age of 8 or higher). I'm on vacation and enjoy cruising, and I want to cruise with my kids but I also want a chance to rest and relax. So NCL's Haven is a nice hybrid until my daughter is older. We can enjoy butler service and avoid having to wait in lines with a toddler swinging from my arms. It's not that I'm looking for a class system, but that the true "luxury" lines offer very little for the younger kids. If I hold off on this type of travel until she's older, than my oldest misses opportunities to travel with us while he's still a kid.

Thank God you have the good sense to recognize that smaller luxury ships are no place for children. You seem to have found a good compromise the works for your entire family.

Thank God you have the good sense to recognize that smaller luxury ships are no place for children. You seem to have found a good compromise the works for your entire family.

Yup, my older two would be just fine - as teens they have traveled a ton and are well mannered. The toddler is an entirely different ball of energy that isn't quite ready for the luxury ships yet. And I'm not quite ready to leave her behind. So compromise it is.

Yup, my older two would be just fine - as teens they have traveled a ton and are well mannered. The toddler is an entirely different ball of energy that isn't quite ready for the luxury ships yet. And I'm not quite ready to leave her behind. So compromise it is.

What a refreshing point of view. So many parents put their own needs ahead of their kids' when choosing a cruise line and then completely ignore the to be expected behavior of they energetic children to the detriment of fellow passengers. Thank you.

What a refreshing point of view. So many parents put their own needs ahead of their kids' when choosing a cruise line and then completely ignore the to be expected behavior of they energetic children to the detriment of fellow passengers. Thank you.

You're welcome. Although I hope that there are actually many more out there like us, you just don't hear from them because they're also not on the ship. :)

I would like to add my sincere "thank you" for not taking your children on a luxury cruise line. IMO, you have made the best "argument" for doing a luxury suite on a mainstream cruise line. Hope that you and your children have many more happy cruises:D

I would like to add my sincere "thank you" for not taking your children on a luxury cruise line. IMO, you have made the best "argument" for doing a luxury suite on a mainstream cruise line. Hope that you and your children have many more happy cruises:D

This is how we teach them the basics so they can truly enjoy the real luxury when they're older. Gotta start somewhere. [emoji3]

This is how we teach them the basics so they can truly enjoy the real luxury when they're older. Gotta start somewhere. [emoji3]

Agree with you. And, if they are fortunate, they will be able to afford a luxury cruise when they become adults. At the rate luxury cruise fares are going, it is not unreasonable to think that fares for a 2 week luxury cruise will top $30K/person when your children are older.

Thanks again for your refreshing posts!

I think that the purpose of the article was to show "different" types of luxury cruising. When they stated that "The luxury stalwarts -- Silversea, Seabourn, Crystal, Regent Seven Seas -- that staunchly maintained their moneyed ambience and pricy fares, are diversifying and trying to create more casual onboard vibes", I realized that they do recognize that there are four major luxury cruise lines (that are pretty much in competition with each other.

It isn't that Windstar or Sea Dream are not luxury, they simply appeal to a different market. You don't hear someone on Seabourn deciding to leave Seabourn for Windstar but they may try it. Luxury sections within a mainstream cruise line also appeals to some as do luxury river cruises. While we are not interested in the small yacht experience or river cruises, I do see them as nice alternatives for cruisers that sail on the "*big four".

One other area is luxury cruise lines such as Europa I which, although luxury, has most non-English speakers and caters to families (something that some passengers of the "big four" may find disconcerting.

*I am using the term "big four" to differentiate it from luxury yachts, luxury river cruises and luxury lines that cater and advertise to people outside of the U.S. and Canada and may have fewer English speaking passengers.

I don't agree with the big four. I agree the with big three not Crystal. Most cruise reviewers are going with the star ratings. On the big three there suites start around 250 -300 sq ft. without a balcony. Crystal starts with 206 sq ft. and Sea Dream start at 195 sq ft. This is one example the difference in 5 1/2 or 6 star cruise line. I don't understand the difference between big four vs yachting. Scenic Eclipse is coming out in Aug 2018 and it's in direct competition with the big four or three for example suite size starting with suite size 345 sq ft. with balcony.

I don't agree with the big four. I agree the with big three not Crystal. Most cruise reviewers are going with the star ratings. On the big three there suites start around 250 -300 sq ft. without a balcony. Crystal starts with 206 sq ft. and Sea Dream start at 195 sq ft. This is one example the difference in 5 1/2 or 6 star cruise line. I don't understand the difference between big four vs yachting. Scenic Eclipse is coming out in Aug 2018 and it's in direct competition with the big four or three for example suite size starting with suite size 345 sq ft. with balcony.

I didn't realize that Scenic Eclipse was a yacht (haven't received information on the boat and now that I know that it only holds 228 guests, I am not interested).

One could argue that luxury is luxury - whether it is a yacht, river boat or ocean liner. However, in terms of pricing and amenities, it is easier to make comparisons with "like products". Obviously, this is just my opinion.

In terms of Crystal, I have never sailed on a Crystal ship and won't be - ever! However, people insist that Crystal is a luxury cruise line and it accepted by travel writers, travel agents and others in the travel industry. In terms of suite size, Regent's Explorer has a few tiny suites (which I think was a horrible idea to include on "the most luxurious ship ever built" unless they were added for solo travelers. I doubt if anyone that has sailed on Explorer would not call it a luxury ship.

IMO, Explorer has the best laid out "regular" suites of the Regent fleet and is definitely better than the suites we have stayed in on Silversea. Most Regent regulars would not stay in one of their small suites and I'm guessing that people that have sailed on Regent, Seabourn or Silversea would not be happy with Crystal's suites unless. you go to the expensive Crystal PH level. It is only fair to mention that some suites on the two Crystal ships will be made larger during their extensive refurbishment this year and next year.

I'm interested in how people define "luxury". I've seen lots of examples but examples aren't definitions.

For instance, if a new cruise line burst into the scene, how will you decide if it's a luxury line or not? Is it based on 300 pax or fewer, all-inclusive, no kids allowed?

I suspect that some will back into a definition based on the examples, but I'm truly interested in finding out since there seems to be disagreement over what lines are luxury.