What is your favorite book/author to read?

Who is your favorite author to read on vacation/cruise? I bought and saved John Sandford's newest Lucas Davenport Novel 'Golden Prey'. But I need more titles/authors. Sandford only puts out 1 Lucas Davenport novel a year. IF I had my way, he'd be (Sandford, that is) chained to a desk crunching out the life of Lucas and Letty and his Criminal Apprehension lackeys. LOVE these characters. ;p

Do you bring books/nooks/kindles on your cruise or are you too busy?

You probably already know this, but just in case....John Sandford has two series spun off from the Prey novels, one featuring Virgil Flowers and the other Kidd. The Flowers ones come out on the off times of the Prey novels and sync up nicely.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

James A. Michener for his rambling stories, the whole Harry Potter series (again and again ); Ken Follett's "Pillars of the Earth" and "World without end" (again); Thomas Mann "Der Zauberberg" (magic mountain); most works by Stefan Zweig; Alfred Kubin, "Die andere Seite"; Gregory David Roberts, "Shantaram"; almost anything by Bill Bryson; Jonas Jonasson, "The Hundred Year-old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared" (FABULOUS book, turned into a turd of a movie); Donna Tarry, "The Goldfinch".....

Thank God for Kindle@

ALWAYS have my iPad mini with the Kindle app on the ship. One of my favorite ways to relax is to find a quiet corner and read for a while, either with a glass of wine or a special coffee drink.

Have you read David Baldacci's new series featuring Amos Decker? There are two so far, Memory Man and The Last Mile. Also, how about Faye Kellerman? Although quite a few years old now, her Rina Lazarus and Peter Decker series is fantastic. My latest favorite is "Robert Galbraith's" (J.K. Rowling) series - it starts with Cuckoo's Calling, then The Silkworm; the latest is Career of Evil. Each book is better than the last. I hope (s)he continues it!

I prefer lighter reading on a cruise. Fiction of course. Favorite authors are James Patterson, David Baldacci, Daniel Silva, and similar styled authors. I am old school and still like to read an actual book. On sea days I usually do at least two books a day.

James A. Michener for his rambling stories, the whole Harry Potter series (again and again ); Ken Follett's "Pillars of the Earth" and "World without end" (again); Thomas Mann "Der Zauberberg" (magic mountain); most works by Stefan Zweig; Alfred Kubin, "Die andere Seite"; Gregory David Roberts, "Shantaram"; almost anything by Bill Bryson; Jonas Jonasson, "The Hundred Year-old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared" (FABULOUS book, turned into a turd of a movie); Donna Tarry, "The Goldfinch".....

Thank God for Kindle@

In case you are not aware, Follett is finishing a third book in the Kingsbridge series. It is due out in September and will be called Column of Fire.

Michael Connelly.

Good stories and they're based in Los Angeles. I enjoy imagining that I am in the neighborhoods where the action is taking place. I also get a kick when I find a mistake--e.g., there is no Runway 19R at LAX. I've heard that the Bosch TV series is pretty good, but I've never seen it.

I've read most Michael Chrichton books. I enjoyed them because they show that he'd done a lot of research into his topic. What I did not particularly care for was the easy wrapping up of even the most convoluted storyline. It seemed like he just decided, "OK, I'm tired of writing this. So, let's end it in this chapter." Sphere was the stupidest.

Michael Connelly.

Good stories and they're based in Los Angeles. I enjoy imagining that I am in the neighborhoods where the action is taking place. I also get a kick when I find a mistake--e.g., there is no Runway 19R at LAX. I've heard that the Bosch TV series is pretty good, but I've never seen it.

I've read most Michael Chrichton books. I enjoyed them because they show that he'd done a lot of research into his topic. What I did not particularly care for was the easy wrapping up of even the most convoluted storyline. It seemed like he just decided, "OK, I'm tired of writing this. So, let's end it in this chapter." Sphere was the stupidest.

I agree, I like Michael Connelly very much. I have MANY of the Bosch books. I've never seen the TV show. I'll have to look it up.

Again, I have to agree. I have read SO many books where the story is going and going and I'm on the ride and then .... someone called the author to dinner and in a few paragraphs we're slammed into an ending.

Thanks for the info. and help. I appreciate it. I can't go anywhere without my Nook books. I guess it's my security blanket. It's not so much the authors that I don't like, I just want to find a character that I can get into and follow their life like I have with Davenport. Although I have to laugh at the names Sandford uses. Del Capslock? Delete key and Capslock key? LOL. Davenport .... sofa/couch?

I have read some of the Virgil Flowers books and they're OK .... not a sereies I want to buy all of. I had every Prey book in paper (some paperback some hardcover) and now I have ALL of them on my Nook. Yes, quite the investment. I haven't read any of the Kidd novels. That might be interesting. He's the genius hacker, right?

Michael Connelly.

This is why I love Kellerman's books; they are based in LA. His are pretty accurate, but I did find an "error" in one of Dean Koontz's books. One of the characters drove right through where I lived and he added an AM/PM to a location where there isn't one. Made me laugh.

So many authors, so little time & money! We load up our Kindles before every cruise, especially ones including lots of sea days. The James Michener books are perfect for getting a real feel for the cultural and natural history of different areas of the world, with a good story line thrown in to keep you interested. Bill Bryson's travel books are funny and informative. For mysteries, we love Michael Connelly, Jeffrey Deaver, Michael Prescott, Robert Crais, Marcia Muller, Lincoln Child, Ed McBain....could go on and on. For some really funny (though very weird & dark humor!) books read anything by Christopher Moore. For a really different take on Sherlock Holmes, try the Laurie King series featuring his wife Mary Russell. The latest book I've fallen in love with is "The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto: A Novel" - if you love music, it's a very moving and fascinating read.

When you're heading to a new part of the world, try Googling "Novels set in ....." - you'll get a list of many to explore.

I like Elin Hildebrandt (might not be the right spelling)..her books are light reading...just tells a story. No big drama or mysteries. I also enjoy guidebooks on places I'm visiting.

Robert B Parker's "Spenser series" are fast, fun reading! (Make sure they are by HIM...after his passing , other's started writing under his name and they aren't as good)

That said, I find I do more talking to my lounger neighbors at the pool, than I do reading!

I agree, I like Michael Connelly very much. I have MANY of the Bosch books. I've never seen the TV show. I'll have to look it up.

I think the Bosch TV series is on Amazon Prime.

Unfortunately Diana Gabaldon has been really slow with a continuation of the Outlander series. :( Even the fiction collection "Seven Stones to Stand or Fall" is not out until after we cruise or it would be on my Nook. Ditto with next book in the S.M. Sterling "Emberverse/Dies the Fire" series.:( Or "Armistice" in Harry Turtledove's "The Hot War" alternative history series.:(:(

Guess I'll settle for the recently loaded "Blood in the Water" from Taylor Anderson's "Destroyermen" series because "Devil's Due" isn't out until 2 DAYS after we sail. :mad::mad:

My kindle is loaded with entire works of Dickens, Austen, F Scott Fitzgerald, and so on... I return to E.F. Benson's Mapp and Lucia series every couple of years... I also have many of Victoria Hislop's novels, along with Elizabeth Howard's works. For lazy days, I have Milly Johnson,Cathy Kelly and Maeve Binchy.

I always loved anything by the late Dick Francis and I'm thrilled when I find one in a charity shop- the sort of book where you're gripped by the 2nd page.

Someone borrowed my Centennial by Michener, and hasn't returned it, so that will be a kindle buy- loved that book. A similar author is Edward Rutherfurd... His London, and his New York are favourites, and it's about time I re-read Sarum.

Edited by jocap
addition

In case you are not aware, Follett is finishing a third book in the Kingsbridge series. It is due out in September and will be called Column of Fire.

Oh yes! Its on order, of course.

I read somewhere that "Pillars" is the third most purchased book in Germany.

After the Bible and Mein Kampf....

Who is your favorite author to read on vacation/cruise? I bought and saved John Sandford's newest Lucas Davenport Novel 'Golden Prey'. But I need more titles/authors. Sandford only puts out 1 Lucas Davenport novel a year. IF I had my way, he'd be (Sandford, that is) chained to a desk crunching out the life of Lucas and Letty and his Criminal Apprehension lackeys. LOVE these characters. ;p

Do you bring books/nooks/kindles on your cruise or are you too busy?

Normally I bring novels by numerous authors. On my next cruise I plan to bring non fiction books ,primarily political.

"Someone borrowed my Centennial by Michener, and hasn't returned it, so that will be a kindle buy- loved that book. A similar author is Edward Rutherfurd... His London, and his New York are favourites, and it's about time I re-read Sarum."

.... don't you just HATE it, when that happens? My wife is under strict "no nookies for a month" instructions NEVER to lend any of my books to anyone!

Unfortunately I think there is no Kindle version of any James A. Michener books available. At least not for downloads with an Amazon UK or Australia account.

My wife taught singing to a niece (or was it grand daughter) of James Michener. She said that he was not happy with all that computerized stuff and wanted people to read "real" books.

I fully agree with that, however it is just so convenient to have 500 books in your jacket pocket.