Excursions in Hawaii

trrn2016

Hi,

We are planning a Hawaii cruise in February,2018. I would like to hear opinions on Marylou excursions and Roberts tours. Which do you prefer and why. Thanks so much.

We have used Mary Lou's twice, in Hilo and Kona. Have used Robert's in Honolulu for Pearl Harbor, but that was basically just a transfer to and from PH and a brief city tour on the way back. Roberts is a very large tour company who hires tour guides, and the tour groups may be very large. They operate on all the islands. They have a good reputation and have been in business for many years.

Mary Lou's is a family owned and family operated company operating in Hilo and Kona only. They do not hire outside guides. In Hilo, I believe they are the only private tour company which is allowed to come inside the port gate to pick up passengers. All the tours are small, usually @ 6 people, and somewhat customizable. They are very personable people, and it is a much more intimate experience. You can read the great reviews on Trip Advisor. We used them in Hilo for Volcanoes National Park, the waterfalls, black sand beach and many other stops. In Kona, we did their land tour, the National Park, coffee plantation and others. Much better in our opinion to tour with a small group than a huge bus load.

If you book through Robert's you will basically get a ship excursion for a little cheaper (big bus- more people). I know for us this is not something we are really in to.

HOWEVER- I do highly recommend Robert's if you are looking for transportation needs. We used them pre-cruise for our airport to hotel ride and day of cruise for transportation to the ship. We were really pleased with the service and price for the transportation.

• 2 weeks later...

We used Roberts Tours for excursions in Kona on the Big Island, Maui (Lahaina), and Kauai (Kaanapali). All of these were smaller tours with only 4-8 people. We rode in small vans or buses, except for one tour. There was some kind of mix up and they sent a regular sized bus for about 6-8 people. We sure had plenty of room to spread out! We enjoyed all of our Roberts tours and would recommend them. They had fantastic customer service as well. We were there in September several years ago, so I don't know if the timing impacted the size of the tours.

We also used them for transportation to our hotel in Honolulu, and were very satisfied with the service, as they accommodated us on an earlier transport since we got off the ship earlier than expected. That was a regular sized bus, but I don't think it was full.

Edited by Cruisen Elf
Additional info

We used Roberts Tours for excursions in Kona on the Big Island, Maui (Lahaina), and Kauai (Kaanapali). All of these were smaller tours with only 4-8 people. We rode in small vans or buses, except for one tour. There was some kind of mix up and they sent a regular sized bus for about 6-8 people. We sure had plenty of room to spread out! We enjoyed all of our Roberts tours and would recommend them. They had fantastic customer service as well. We were there in September several years ago, so I don't know if the timing impacted the size of the tours.

We also used them for transportation to our hotel in Honolulu, and were very satisfied with the service, as they accommodated us on an earlier transport since we got off the ship earlier than expected. That was a regular sized bus, but I don't think it was full.

OOPS! Our port stop in Kauai was Nawiliwili, NOT Kaanapali. Don't know how I came up with that! :confused: