Do You Alternate Your Walking Shoes (for port intensive cruises)?

Lois R

Good morning girls:).......I am sailing next month:D...sailing from Barcelona to Rome and it is quite a port intensive

cruise. I have my VIONICS (I wear them to walk here at home). And was wondering for those of you who do walk,

do you take multiple pairs? I got a pair of sandals, a fisherman's style but tried them and think I will have to return

them *rubs in the back and I certainly don't want issues on the trip. Maybe I should just stick with my Vionic's....

Just curious if any of your bring an alternate pair from shoe/shoe or shoe/sandal for walking.........I don't bring

alot of shoes with me on any of my trips but an extra pair for walking would be in a different category (for me anyway).

Thoughts?

Thank you:)

Hi Lois :)

Walking is such a significant part of my plans for trips like yours that I do bring two pairs of walking shoes. Generally, that means one pair of "heavy duty" lace-up walking shoes with Powerstep insoles and one other pair depending on the season and itinerary -- if it's hot weather or more beachy/sandy destinations I will take a pair of Ecco Yucatan sandals and if it's cooler weather or more city destinations I'll bring some sturdy loafers in black with a thick sole like these to pair with my black pants: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BNF0ODI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't strictly alternate them -- I probably wear the heavy duty walking shoes about 2/3 of the time, but try to switch off and use the others on days when I might be walking a bit less. It gives my other shoes and my feet a little break. ;)

I'd never go with just one pair, because if something happened to them, I'd be sunk without an alternative....

Ditto - most of my trips are walking intensive and I want at least 2 pairs that can take me miles and miles. What I actually bring varies on where & when I'm going - fall/winter in Europe I'll bring boots that are waterproof, and probably a goretex walking shoe. Summer (like our recent trip to NYC, where we put 23,000 steps on husband's fitbit one afternoon...) I brought dansko walking sandals and a chaco sneakery shoe. My 3rd shoe will be one I can walk in - but maybe only 2 miles instead of 10 - Privo mary jane or a birkenstock.... (haven't done a cruise that has formal nights since 2011 so my silver birki Gizehs tend to be fine for dinner for summer cruises, or the knee leather boots or mary jane in the winter....)

Hi girls, I had a feeling you both might reply and glad you did:D.......I have a DSW right near me (that is where I got

the Fisherman's sandals)......I am going to return them and look for something else.

Thank you for your thoughts..they are always kind and spot on:)

Wishing you and everyone a Very Happy 4th:)

I take a pair of walking shoes, and I also take a pair of keen sandals that I have worn when I walked ten miles in a day. I carry them based on where we are walking. Keen are for walks that might include a beach. :)

I also have several pairs of Merrell sandals that I wear and love.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hi again:).......well, I bought my first pair of Skecher's.......they are a walking shoe, lightweight, VERY CUSHIONY:D

and the minute I put them on, well......it was a moment:)...one of those..........AHHHHH moments. I thought Sckecher's

might not have a lot of support but these feel FABULOUS:D

Hey Lois!

I always have my trusty pair of Jambu shoes/sandals (now not being made) with me. They are my go-tos for most of my walks and travels and work well day-to-night. BUT, if I'm going to be doing some more intense activity or something that is not on pavement/cobblestones, I have either chosen my trail runners (Solomons for now, Hoka very soon when the Solomons die), my trail approach shoes (Keen Voyageurs or Merrell Sirens). For even more intense, it's my trail boots (Merrell Moabs or Keen Targhees).

Example: For the last visit to Italy, it was the Jambu/Solomon combination. For Egypt/Jordan, it was Jambu/Merrell Siren. For Kenya it was Jambu/Keen Voyageurs. For Puerto Rico, it was Jambu/Solomon.. I don't alternate, but choose daily depending on where I am going and what I'm doing.

Can you tell I spend a lot of time out on trails???

Hi girls, I will bring my sandals but they will be more for the ship/evenings and possibly if I am just strolling in one of

the ports......but for "true walking excursions" I will wear my closed toed shoes.....I have been to Europe twice in the

past 5 years and I have a big memory of the first cruise....I wore what I thought would be comfy sandals around

Rome.....little did I know, the back would rub near my heel:(:eek:...........the rest of the cruise I wore shoes and socks

for touring....they saved my feet:).

Not to mention that walking in the great cities of Europe means walking in the sometimes none-too-clean streets. That's one reason I don't wear sandals in Rome. (The locals have a name for those tourists who walk around in flip flops or bare sandals -- they are the "piedi neri" or "the black feet"!! :')

Always alternate your shoes. It makes them last longer. Alternating gives them a chance to air out (& sometimes dry out). I love my Merrills & my Chacos. Also enjoy my Sketchers (but not for distances), but they're SO light & cute. Have a great trip Lois!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Always alternate your shoes. It makes them last longer. Alternating gives them a chance to air out (& sometimes dry out). I love my Merrills & my Chacos. Also enjoy my Sketchers (but not for distances), but they're SO light & cute. Have a great trip Lois!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks:) these particular Sketcher's look like a "a walker"........all black, lace up's...inside the heel it says

"Relaxed Fit Memory Foam" and they are very lightweight, but quite supportive.:)

Lois, May I suggest trying out your Skechers before you travel? I have a pair that initially felt wonderful but rub my heels to the point of blisters. I only wear them at home for short times. As others have mentioned, I bring 2-3 pairs of shoes to rotate. I find that although my shoes fit well, they wear differently, and at the end of a long day walking I have somewhat different "aches" from different shoes. I would prefer to use luggage space for shoes than extra clothes. I can do laundry on a cruise, but having sore feet makes for a miserable and long day.

I can do laundry on a cruise, but having sore feet makes for a miserable and long day.

How true!

Once in Japan I had a pair of shoes that turned out to be a bad choice. Even though my size in the US is commonly available, it was not in Japan, where most women must have small feet. :mad: It took far too much time to find replacement shoes.

Lois, May I suggest trying out your Skechers before you travel? I have a pair that initially felt wonderful but rub my heels to the point of blisters. I only wear them at home for short times. As others have mentioned, I bring 2-3 pairs of shoes to rotate. I find that although my shoes fit well, they wear differently, and at the end of a long day walking I have somewhat different "aches" from different shoes. I would prefer to use luggage space for shoes than extra clothes. I can do laundry on a cruise, but having sore feet makes for a miserable and long day.

I will take your suggestion:)......I try to walk every day after work. I wore them yesterday (we were off for the holiday).

And I will wear them for next few days for my walks. Will see how it goes.:)

Thanks!

At the suggestion from these boards, I wore Keene Rose sandals for our Med cruise and Rome pre cruise. They were great for walking on cobblestones, uneven surfaces, etc.. Closed toe, comfy and supportive.

Have a great cruise.

I always pack (actually wear on the plane) my Saucony runners - so at least I have something sturdy and supportive to wear for touring if required.

I do have a couple pairs of the memory foam type runners but while comfy, I do not find them supportive enuf to walk for miles and miles LOL.

The runners are of course a bit warm for 'warm weather' touring and I know many women wear cute sport sandals but I have yet to find a pair/brand that fit properly and feel comfortable.

I just found these the other day: https://www.macys.com/shop/product/skechers-womens-on-the-go-jazzy-sandals-from-finish-line?ID=4427166&PartnerID=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc=LINKSHARE-_-91-_-67-_-MP9167&LinkshareID=p.E2XVDQFnI-lXDlPB7H1gGTtd5dQ83cog (read the very good reviews!)

(they only had the navy/hot pink in my size but that works for me - may consider getting another pair (black?) if I find I love them!)

They are Skechers brand and don't look like much - but very very comfy and I am wearing them around the house now to make sure there is no rubbing/chafing/problems. I am hoping to wear these out and about on my next cruise - possibly for touring - not sure how much walking? Something like perhaps a bus tour that stops in various areas? LOL - hoping my feet stay cool and comfy! (for any longer 'hiking' type tours I would still probably wear my runners!)

Edited by Froufie

At the suggestion from these boards, I wore Keene Rose sandals for our Med cruise and Rome pre cruise. They were great for walking on cobblestones, uneven surfaces, etc.. Closed toe, comfy and supportive.

Have a great cruise.

Lois doesn't like the look of the Keen Rose sandals, even though that's what I wear to work as my dressy shoes, lol.

I live in Keens - I have 11 pair of the regular sporty sandals in different colors, and 2 pair of the Rose sandals for dressy times.

But not everybody is a Keens fan so whatever works for you is what you should stick with, i.e. Vionics for Lois.

Lois, I have heard that the memory foam in Sketchers does wear down quickly but check the reviews on Amazon or somewhere and you'll get a better idea.

Have an amazing cruise and take care of your feet :p.

Not to mention that walking in the great cities of Europe means walking in the sometimes none-too-clean streets. That's one reason I don't wear sandals in Rome. (The locals have a name for those tourists who walk around in flip flops or bare sandals -- they are the "piedi neri" or "the black feet"!! :')

I'm going to be dirty at the end of a summer's day touring - no matter what I wear on my feet - and I'm going to shower before bed. So if my feet are dirty, meh, I don't care.

On the other hand, how people can walk for more than a block on cobblestones in flip flops blows my mind. But then -I have a photo of me climbing ruins in Turkey when I was 20 wearing patent leather slides with a HEEL (wedge, but still). I recall those being very comfortable walking shoes. Ha! My feet are older and far more particular now;p

Every time a friend tells me how comfortable her skechers are, I try a new style on in the store, and none work for me. Sad :-( (even my husband has a pair!) But that's just another example of how no comfort shoe is going to be comfortable for all!

(also- I think I mentioned this to Lois in the past - I have a couple pairs of Vionics that I like - but in the last year and a half I also tried on a few styles that didn't fit me the same at all - so even when a brand "works" for you - doesn't mean all the styles will. Same is true for me with Ecco)

Unless I'm planning on some HOURS long hike in rough terrain, my everyday shoes work just fine.

My every day shoes will not work........that is why I was asking about it:eek:.....my every day shoes are either

clogs/mules in the winter time or sandals in the summertime.

I have never found a pair of Sketchers that fit me. I also am not fond of companies who do nothing but rip off other brands and make a cheaper product (in price and quality). They had a weave that was a rip off of Bernie Mev, their Bobs are a rip off of Toms, etc.

I have never found a pair of Sketchers that fit me. I also am not fond of companies who do nothing but rip off other brands and make a cheaper product (in price and quality). They had a weave that was a rip off of Bernie Mev, their Bobs are a rip off of Toms, etc.

I didn't know that is what they do.......I know originally they were a family owned company....don't lots of brands make the same style of shoes?

Edited by Lois R

There are a lot of choices in the marketplace.......we all have the ones we like:).......plenty of shoes to choose from:)