Getting around SF - Public Transit Questions

Hello –

We will be doing an overnight port stop in San Francisco this coming mid-October. I am hoping to get some transit advice. This is our second time in SF, the first time we did the HOHO thing. This trip we are looking forward to seeing a few places we missed. Our plan for the first day is to head to the Castro and then walk over to Haight Ashbury late morning/afternoon then back to the Pier (not sure how yet) and go to Alcatraz early evening.

I did some searching and saw that we can take the F streetcar line from near Pier 23 to the Castro. I’ve read that it isn’t the most efficient way to go but it is simple and you get the classic streetcar experience.

We’re OK with walking long distances and are experienced public transit riders (at least a home). I’ve been on the SFMTA site but I am hoping someone can clarify a couple of things. To purchase a ticket for the F we need to have exact change and pay cash on the car? Silly question, but does it take bills and coins?

Any tips on a more direct route (bus, train or otherwise) if time becomes an issue?

Thanks!

J

and go to Alcatraz early evening.

Any tips on a more direct route (bus, train or otherwise) if time becomes an issue?

One other thing to check..... how early do you need to buy your Alcatraz tickets.... they say tickets are sold out weeks and months in advance.

BTW... I hear there are two ticket types.... one that allows you to explore the prison and another which just sails around it.

We’re OK with walking long distances and are experienced public transit riders (at least a home).

San Francisco is a wonderful walking city. HOWEVER! It is not recommended for visitors, some areas in between where you want to go are very sketchy. Even as a local, there is a stretch of Market St that I would not walk at noon on a sunny day. That area is changing (slowly) especially with the HQs for Twitter and Uber being there.

I’ve been on the SFMTA site but I am hoping someone can clarify a couple of things. To purchase a ticket for the F we need to have exact change and pay cash on the car? Silly question, but does it take bills and coins?

Exact change only, bills and coins are accepted. Be sure to ask the driver for a "transfer"; it's good for 90 minutes on any other line and act as proof of payment. Or do what a lot of locals do and board through the back door and don't pay ;p

Taxi or ride share. MUNI (bus & train) should not be used if you need to get somewhere in a short period of time.

One thing I discovered is when getting a daypass on the cable cars, they also work on public buses.

Is the cable cars the only place I can get a transit daypass for the buses?

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Forums mobile app

At the turn around (end of the line) for the cable cars there's a manned kiosk that you can buy passes from. YMMV but they seem to be closed more than they are opened :mad:

If you visit their website, http://www.sfmta.com, it will show you all the different prices and places to buy a daily pass. I've purchased one at Walgreen's down by Fisherman's Wharf. Depending on how much you think you might use mass transit, it might be less expensive to pay by the ride. The Cable Car is $7 each way and bus and street car $2.75. (Less for seniors). The day pass is $21. But on the other hand you don't have to worry about exact change.

About Alcatraz, I believe you can buy them up to 3 months in advance, and be sure you're getting one that actually goes to the island, not just sailing around it. I would try for the 1st tour of the day as it is less crowded. http://www.alcatrazcruises.com is the recommended site. Hope you have a great time!

I use the cable cars like a Hop On service. So after a few stops.... the day pass offers better value. When the cable cars are busy..... buses are a great backup.

Thanks all for the replies.

As far as Alcatraz goes, we're wanting to go on the island I'm counting down the days for our date to open and will book ASAP. We want to do the night tour and I would imagine the go fast.

I've looked into the day passes, just do not think we'll use it enough to justify especially since we aren't too interested in the cable cars.

Good to know about the bills and coins, and transfers. Our system is set up similarly minus the bills, we're in the land of loonies ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To get to the Castro, the fastest thing is to take the F line above ground rail to the underground light rail station at Embarcadero station. Then take the outbound light rail (the K, L, or M lines) to Castro station. This trip takes less than 20 minutes, I think. The above ground F-line is quite slow; the underground light rail is significantly faster. From Castro, you can take Bus #6 that runs up Divisadero to Haight Ashbury. I think it's more efficient to Uber this trip though. I would then Uber back to the ship.

To get to the Castro, the fastest thing is to take the F line above ground rail to the underground light rail station at Embarcadero station. Then take the outbound light rail (the K, L, or M lines) to Castro station. This trip takes less than 20 minutes, I think. The above ground F-line is quite slow; the underground light rail is significantly faster. From Castro, you can take Bus #6 that runs up Divisadero to Haight Ashbury. I think it's more efficient to Uber this trip though. I would then Uber back to the ship.

Thanks, I had seen a really old post that vaguely outlined this route. Good to know!

I read that Castro to Haight Ashbury is walk-able but with one heck of a hill to climb. I'll need to look into Uber, we do not have it on this side of the border but I may get an account for just for this trip. Thanks again.

Thanks, I had seen a really old post that vaguely outlined this route. Good to know!

I read that Castro to Haight Ashbury is walk-able but with one heck of a hill to climb. I'll need to look into Uber, we do not have it on this side of the border but I may get an account for just for this trip. Thanks again.

It is walkable, but it is long and uphill. I don't think Uber would cost much and would save you alot of time.

I can't imagine what Philob is talking about. There is no place on Market Street from the Embarcadero to The Castro that I would be hesitant to walk during daylight hours. There are some I might avoid at 2AM, but not any during the day.

You can download the MuniMobile app to your smartphone and use it to buy and use tickets on SFMTA vehicles. That way there is zero concern about correct change, is a kiosk open etc. You can delete the app when the trip is over.

I can't imagine what Philob is talking about. There is no place on Market Street from the Embarcadero to The Castro that I would be hesitant to walk during daylight hours. There are some I might avoid at 2AM, but not any during the day.

You can download the MuniMobile app to your smartphone and use it to buy and use tickets on SFMTA vehicles. That way there is zero concern about correct change, is a kiosk open etc. You can delete the app when the trip is over.

For visitors to that are unfamiliar with the sights, sounds, and smells and look lost, I would avoid the area on Market St. between 5th and 8th Streets. Unless of course you need a slightly used cell phone, laptop, and/or some pharmaceuticals.

Put it another way, we locals nickname (un-PC of course) the area around 6th & of Market Streets as Zombie Central.

For visitors to that are unfamiliar with the sights, sounds, and smells and look lost, I would avoid the area on Market St. between 5th and 8th Streets. Unless of course you need a slightly used cell phone, laptop, and/or some pharmaceuticals.

Put it another way, we locals nickname (un-PC of course) the area around 6th & of Market Streets as Zombie Central.

Avoid it at 12AM or 2AM, sure, but not in daylight hours, it is very busy and some of my favorite restaurants are in the Tenderloin (Market St being the southern edge).

Lived in the bay Area and SF for over 30 years. I agree with Philob. The area of market street between 5 & 8th street is sketchy. The stench of urine can be overwhelming. If you want to get the real SF experience, go ahead and walk it. I'd take either the under ground Metro or the F street streetcar from Embarcadero to the castro and then uber from the Castro to the Haight Ashbury.