St Thomas - Go out or stay on the ship

Justjayce

Hello,

My eastern Caribbean cruise is coming up in September. My S/O and I are not big time beach people. So we were thinking about staying on board to enjoy the Aqua Duck and the other amenities onboard while the crowd is away from the boat. Wanted to ask y'all if that makes sense or if there is something on St. Thomas I just can't miss.

Thank you very much!

others will no doubt disagree, but we really hated st thomas...

if i ever visit there again, i would either head over to st john for some light hiking or stay on the ship..

so if you're not beach people, and aren't into visiting st john for some natural beauty, i would definitely consider staying on the ship....it will be blessedly quiet that day, since most people will get off to visit st thomas...

others will no doubt disagree, but we really hated st thomas...

if i ever visit there again, i would either head over to st john for some light hiking or stay on the ship..

so if you're not beach people, and aren't into visiting st john for some natural beauty, i would definitely consider staying on the ship....it will be blessedly quiet that day, since most people will get off to visit st thomas...

I'll respectfully disagree. We love St. Thomas and head over to St. John as soon as we are allowed ashore. St. John has some of the most beautiful beaches in the Caribbean. I'd be more likely to stay onboard for Tortola, since we've already experienced the Baths.

Since you have never been there before, I would at least spend some time on the Island. We just hired a driver to take us around for a few hours and show us the highlights? I can't say we saw anything spectacular but we did get a good feel for the island. Our driver provided a taste of local produce he bought right off a stand, and since we also were not beach people but did want to see the ocean, he took us to a beach at the university just to walk around and get a photo. We were surprised how much we liked it, and while I can't say we'd book a trip just to go there, I wouldn't mind going back just to soak up the vibe again.

NCLEscapeSony-141-X3.jpg

Since you have never been there before, I would at least spend some time on the Island. ...

I agree with this. We always get off an take some sort of "get acquainted tour" (many times it's called the "See and Sea tour") the first time we visit any port. Then, when we call there again, we have a better idea whether we want to explore anything further, or remaining on the ship.

While many of the Caribbean islands are similar, St. Thomas is one of the cleaner, nicer, safer of the bunch. There are things you can do within walking distance of the dock area. I'm with the others--I wouldn't choose a cruise just to go to St. Thomas, but it isn't an island that gives me the "Not this again..." reaction. There are some decent things to do and see.

I will be on the eastern caribbean Fantasy cruise starting July15th. Does anybody know if all activities on the ship are available at port stops - movies, games etc - in case we decide not to go ashore? I have a three year old grandson and don't know which port adventures would be suitable for him.

I will be on the eastern caribbean Fantasy cruise starting July15th. Does anybody know if all activities on the ship are available at port stops - movies, games etc - in case we decide not to go ashore? I have a three year old grandson and don't know which port adventures would be suitable for him.

While not all onboard activities are available during port days, there are some. Movies, as well as the kid's clubs are available.

The Oceaneer's Club will be open all day. There is relatively little scheduled on board on port days--movies, relatively empty pools are about it. In St. Thomas, my best suggestion for little people is Coral World. This has built up over the years...but there is a walk in underwater viewing area, a small aquarium, hiking trails, touch tanks (supervised by "educators"), rest rooms, a gift shop, etc. AND there is a free, family friendly beach right across the parking lot. No, Coki Beach does not have vendors and such, but if you do Coral World, you get an all day wrist band, so you can go in and out of their facility to use rest rooms, get food, etc. There are typically taxis waiting in the parking lot. If not, they are happy to call one for you. Also at St. Thomas, within walking distance of Havensight (where the ships dock) is a butterfly farm--the butterflies are much more active when you go on your own rather than with a large group.

At St. Maarten, he might enjoy the water taxis, Maki beach (where the big planes fly over very low...warn him and cover him up, the sand blows).

I highly recommend coral world if you don't like the beach or have children too small for water activities. It's a small aquarium where the kids can pet starfish and feed stingrays among other fun things.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did St. John on our own on our last cruise. For three of us, it cost $140.00 total. It was $100.00 cheaper than what the ship was chàrging. Cinnamon beach is less crowded and beautiful. Have a great cruise.

For what excursion? St. John On Your Own is only $27 a person. We've actually decided to do that instead of doing it on our own, since the ferry picks you up right next to the ship instead of first having to take a cab over to Red Hook.

I do not recall the exact name but it was the St. John Beach excursion. If I had seen the $27.00 option, I would have jumped on it. It may not have been available by the time we decided what we were going to do.

:)

Different excursion and I agree with you, the beach excursion is no bargain. The one I was referring to just gets you to St. John and back. Other than that, you're on your own.