Luggage Tag Question

tubeamps

do you typically wait until you arrive at the cruise departure city airport to attach your cruise tags?

I mean the ones with your name and room number on them, not the red leathers.

Thanks for any input.

Yes, those tags are for Viking to use to get your luggage to your stateroom. Put them on your bags after you arrive. The red stickers are to put on your lapel to assist Viking staff to identify you. Viking staff are easy to spot because they wear red jackets.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

Yes. We only put them on just before we board, as the airlines aren't interested in them and being paper would highly likely not survive the flight. As previously mentioned they are only so that staff can get your bags to your cabin.

We cruise on Celebrity and attach the luggage tags BEFORE we leave home. The Celebrity tags are as "tough" as the airline tags. They also help in getting your luggage a high priority. When our initial flight wa delayed/ canceled, the agent noted the tags and booked us on alternative flights so we would not miss our cruise.

We always attach them once we get to the port city, however we usually go in at least one night early so we are coming from a hotel and not from an airport. We also use the plastic sleeves that you can get very inexpensively on Cruise Critic or Amazon. They are very tough and work well. Be sure to get the correct size depending on what size tags your cruise line uses.

do you typically wait until you arrive at the cruise departure city airport to attach your cruise tags?

Thanks for any input.

We don't put the tags on our luggage until we arrive at the cruise departure city for security reasons. We don't want strangers (such as airline employees, porters, someone just hanging around the airport, or even a taxi driver) to be able to see our name/address/phone number on our regular luggage tags and to also see that we might be going away on a cruise.

We have done 30+ cruises, and always put the tags on at home. We took a South America cruise this year, and Delta left 150 bags in Atlanta :confused: . The cruise tags made it easy for them to identify our luggage as part of the delayed cruise bags. We received the luggage the next day in Buenos Aires, delivered to our cabin. If we had waited until we reached the departure city, there would have been a problem for the cruise line, and the airline.

Harvey :)

We don't put the tags on our luggage until we arrive at the cruise departure city for security reasons. We don't want strangers (such as airline employees, porters, someone just hanging around the airport, or even a taxi driver) to be able to see our name/address/phone number on our regular luggage tags and to also see that we might be going away on a cruise.

I'm with you! Too much information. In fact, even on our red luggage tags, the only thing that you can see when you lift the flap is our BaggageTrak information -- our ID# and a phone number to call.

Thanks for any input.

Definitely just before boarding. We carry a small stapler with us to attach them easily. Have found them very strong but not when they get wet! We recently found this out on a terrible day in Yokohama, when one went missing altogether. Case had also lost its normal tag, too, but somehow Volendam staff found me! You need a sturdy normal tag too.

We put them on in the port city / too much info on them. I do purchase plastic holders but those break too. I always put a copy of our travel itinerary on top of my clothes in the suitcase before flying to make sure they know where to find me. My friend had her tag ripped off from the hotel to the port one time.she had to go locate the luggage on the ship so we are very careful now.

Definitely just before boarding. We carry a small stapler with us to attach them easily. Have found them very strong but not when they get wet! We recently found this out on a terrible day in Yokohama, when one went missing altogether. Case had also lost its normal tag, too, but somehow Volendam staff found me! You need a sturdy normal tag too.

Not so much a problem with the Viking luggage tags since they are plastic on the Ocean cruises and not paper (as you may see in some older pictures of doc pakages).

We attach the red Viking luggage tag at home and add the plastic ship tag when we arrive at the final airport either just before or after locating the Viking reps. The latter depends on the need to go thru customs. Distinctive red tag made it easy to identify and, if need be, offer assistance to others on the flight with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We attach the red Viking luggage tag at home and add the plastic ship tag when we arrive at the final airport either just before or after locating the Viking reps. The latter depends on the need to go thru customs. Distinctive red tag made it easy to identify and, if need be, offer assistance to others on the flight with us.

Those red tags are conversation starters. Since airplane dinners are so abominable, we eat before we board and at dinner we were seated next to a couple with red tags and so the conversation began. Then on the plane, the woman in the window seat has one of those red tags; we went to a concert with them just the other night.

Those red tags are conversation starters. Since airplane dinners are so abominable, we eat before we board and at dinner we were seated next to a couple with red tags and so the conversation began. Then on the plane, the woman in the window seat has one of those red tags; we went to a concert with them just the other night.

Agree. Quite useful in the gate area or on the jet way if you have and can use an extra one on a carry on (we always check our bags but each carry a backpack and/or camera bag). Good way to stike up a conversation and start getting to know folks.

I also purposely wore my Viking River cap when did Viking Homelands last year. (Hubby still had his VR luggage tag; couldn't find mine - sigh...)

Yes. We only put them on just before we board, as the airlines aren't interested in them and being paper would highly likely not survive the flight. As previously mentioned they are only so that staff can get your bags to your cabin.

What info do you put on your luggage tags? City of embarkation, ship name and cruise line? I put my itinerary in both bags but I always have my destination on the suitcase tag.

Thank you!

What info do you put on your luggage tags? City of embarkation, ship name and cruise line? I put my itinerary in both bags but I always have my destination on the suitcase tag.

Thank you!

The luggage tags - the leather ones - the ones you put on the bags you checkin with the airline - just put your usual info on them. Name, home address etc. The OTHER tags you get - the ones Viking uses to deliver your bags to your cabin - you don't have to do anything but put them on your bags when you arrive at the destination airport. They are printed with everything Viking needs. They give each passenger about 5 of them. (If memory serves). This way you can tag not only the bag you checked in for your flight but anything else you want delivered to your cabin.

Edited by CharTrav

Thank you! But I usually put a destination info - hotel name, city, etc or the address I will be staying at. My question is about suitcase tags and what destination I will have now. Will it be ship name? Cruise line? I'm not going to put red tags.

Thank you! But I usually put a destination info - hotel name, city, etc or the address I will be staying at. My question is about suitcase tags and what destination I will have now. Will it be ship name? Cruise line? I'm not going to put red tags.

Hmmm. Let me try again. Viking sends you two red leather suitcase/luggage tags and a number of preprinted plastic tags containing all the ship related info - what the Viking crew uses to deliver your bags to your cabin. They give you quite few of these so that you can add them to both your carryon and checked luggage. What you choose to write on the tags for your checked luggage is up to you. If you want to splurge and do more than name, home address, mobile phone # that's up to you. You might add the ship name, eg Viking Star, and starting port city (in case your bags don't arrive with you). The plastic tag - what we add to our bags after we arrive at the airport to ensure that peerless airline baggage folks don't somehow tear them off - says things like the ship name, your name, and cabin number.

Does this help? I guess I've never worried about our bags not arriving with us. In all the business flying I've done over the years, that's only happened to me twice. And never (knock on wood) on any of the flights I've done outside the US.

Hmmm. Let me try again. Viking sends you two red leather suitcase/luggage tags and a number of preprinted plastic tags containing all the ship related info - what the Viking crew uses to deliver your bags to your cabin. They give you quite few of these so that you can add them to both your carryon and checked luggage. What you choose to write on the tags for your checked luggage is up to you. If you want to splurge and do more than name, home address, mobile phone # that's up to you. You might add the ship name, eg Viking Star, and starting port city (in case your bags don't arrive with you). The plastic tag - what we add to our bags after we arrive at the airport to ensure that peerless airline baggage folks don't somehow tear them off - says things like the ship name, your name, and cabin number.

Does this help? I guess I've never worried about our bags not arriving with us. In all the business flying I've done over the years, that's only happened to me twice. And never (knock on wood) on any of the flights I've done outside the US.

We didn't have a chance to put plastic tags on our luggage because

we arrived to Stockholm without our luggage. We almost didn't make it to our second flight. "Fortunately" there were 30 people on our first flight whose final destination was Stockholm so lufthansa delayed a bit our second flight. Still according to Viking rep we were missing 12 people. Thank you to Viking rep Natalya who helped us and other guests to file a claim! We met with Customer Services on the ship to do the same. They gave us a kit with toothbrush, toothpaste, Deodorant, shaver and shaving cream, comb and earplugs. They also offered us free laundry and dry cleaning of our clothes.

Thank you Viking!

Hopefully they will let us in to restaurant in jeans ;)

The ship is beautiful and people are nice.

Woohoo!! While writing all this I got a text from lufthansa that our bags are in Stockholm and prepared for delivery :)

We didn't have a chance to put plastic tags on our luggage because

we arrived to Stockholm without our luggage. We almost didn't make it to our second flight. "Fortunately" there were 30 people on our first flight whose final destination was Stockholm so lufthansa delayed a bit our second flight. Still according to Viking rep we were missing 12 people. Thank you to Viking rep Natalya who helped us and other guests to file a claim! We met with Customer Services on the ship to do the same. They gave us a kit with toothbrush, toothpaste, Deodorant, shaver and shaving cream, comb and earplugs. They also offered us free laundry and dry cleaning of our clothes.

Thank you Viking!

Hopefully they will let us in to restaurant in jeans ;)

The ship is beautiful and people are nice.

Woohoo!! While writing all this I got a text from lufthansa that our bags are in Stockholm and prepared for delivery :)

Sorry about your experience and glad to know that Viking came through for you. There was a couple on our Viking Homelands trip who had flown into Oslo on British Air connecting thru Heathrow who arrived sans luggage.They too had a similar experience with Viking in the clothing & toiletry dept and also helped make sure their lost bags were delivered to them shortly after we arrived in Bergen. Actually they weren't alone. Quite a few who had flown BA into Bergen were in the same state. All were helped by Viking and all as far as I know got their luggage before we sailed off.

Have a great time on the rest of your trip!