Disney Wonder Alaska - Best non-excursion town?

salsanacho

We're doing the 8/14 Disney Wonder Alaska cruise and are trying to figure out our excursions. We'd like to do one day just around town, out of the three stops (Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan) which one is the best just for milling around town?

Conversely, any of them not have much of anything, where an excursion is a must?

We're doing the 8/14 Disney Wonder Alaska cruise and are trying to figure out our excursions. We'd like to do one day just around town, out of the three stops (Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan) which one is the best just for milling around town?

Conversely, any of them not have much of anything, where an excursion is a must?

Well, sadly, all three have things to see/do in town, as well as good out of town excursions.

You'll have to be more specific as to what you're looking to do/see while "just around town". And for excursions on the whole.

I like Skagway (small town) for walking around, but the White Pass Railroad was a must do for us.

Juneau, like Ketchikan has many things you can do in town, as well as sights further away.

While we did excursions in Juneau and Skagway (and I agree with Shmoo, White Pass Railway is a must do), we chose to walk around Ketchikan. We did walk over to the Alaska Heritage Museum, but everything we did was on our own.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Our goal for the non-excursion day is to just walk around town and maybe just do some shopping/browsing and generally let our older child lead where she wants to explore. We will have a 1.5yo with us, so we're actually leaning away from the WPR since I've heard small kids get bored of it really quickly. For Ketchikan, we were thinking of doing a short excursion (lumber jack show) which leaves us time for dawdling around town.

Our time in Vancouver is actually packed, we have a goal of eating our way through Richmond which will stretch our stomachs for the feasts of the boat.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Our goal for the non-excursion day is to just walk around town and maybe just do some shopping/browsing and generally let our older child lead where she wants to explore. We will have a 1.5yo with us, so we're actually leaning away from the WPR since I've heard small kids get bored of it really quickly. For Ketchikan, we were thinking of doing a short excursion (lumber jack show) which leaves us time for dawdling around town.

Our time in Vancouver is actually packed, we have a goal of eating our way through Richmond which will stretch our stomachs for the feasts of the boat.

Yeah, it's probably a good choice to skip the train with a little one. There's lots to see/do in Ketchikan. You can find good information for a walking tour here: http://www.experienceketchikan.com/ketchikan-walking-tour.html

we have a goal of eating our way through Richmond which will stretch our stomachs for the feasts of the boat.
I recommend "Dim Sum" for brunch as you can experience a variety of foods.

• 3 weeks later...

We did Ketchikan on our own. Totem Bite State Park is a $1 each way public bus ride, there are volunteer guides or you can do a self guided tour there. The only difference I could see between our tour and the paid excursion tour was that they got a cup of hot chocolate in the gift shop. After that, we spent time walking around town. There is a nice visitor's center with plenty of literature, suggested walking tours, etc.