Price Assurance Policy not really true

marinaro44

A few months ago we booked three back-to-back Star Pride cruises sailing in August and September 2018. Windstar gave us a back-to-back discount on the three cruises.

One of the cruises appeared in the recent July 4th sale at a price lower than what we paid originally for that cruise. Our cruise agent called to have our fare adjusted according to Windstar's Price Assurance Policy, and was told that if we were to be given the reduced price from the July 4th sale on that one cruise that we would then have to forgo the back-to-back discount across all three cruises.

This makes no sense to me. We are still back-to-back on three cruises. The fare on one of them was reduced. The Price Assurance Policy says an adjustment should be made for that cruise.

What they are effectively saying is that if you book back-to-back cruises and one of them has a sale or promotion fare that you can't get a back-to-back savings on your back-to-back cruises. And also saying that the Price Assurance Policy cannot be applied to your benefit if you have booked back-to-back cruises as you will lose as much or more in back-to-back discounts than you would gain by the fare reduction in one of the cruises. Seems like a shabby way to treat people looking to book more than one cruise in a row.

I am trying to decide whether this is just brain-dead or disreputable on Windstar's part. Has anyone else experienced this? Has anyone been given a fare adjustment on a cruise that's part of a back-to-back and still retained their back-to-back discount?

Edited by marinaro44

There were no perqs and no promotion with the original booking. Back to back discounts are not a perq, and, in any case, our first two cruises are unchanged price-wise so should not lose back to back discount on those because of a price reduction on the third.

We just booked a July sale cruise and we're told that back to back does not apply, crazy. You would think that the line would do everything possible to encourage and promote b2b bookings, I guess not. Sometimes Windstar policies are mystifying. Customer loyalty does not seem to be a priority.

We just booked a July sale cruise and we're told that back to back does not apply, crazy. You would think that the line would do everything possible to encourage and promote b2b bookings, I guess not. Sometimes Windstar policies are mystifying. Customer loyalty does not seem to be a priority.

That is just terminally stupid on Windstar's part. Azamara certainly gives a b2b discount if a cruise is booked with a sale. I rarely book without a sale of some kind and always get a b2b discount.

Ask again. Call Windstar. I just did a b2b and had my fares adjusted. My TA was excellent at getting me lower fares. The price assurance policy worked for me.

TA and I both wrote to Delaney. We'll see what happens. A no answer would be bush league.

What I have found is that they (Windstar) lack any consistency in execution of their pricing policies. We travel with another couple and for a cruise we are about to embark on we went through two separate price adjustments, significant adjustments. I would call to inquire about the adjustment and in multiple conversations come away with different dollar amounts, our traveling partners would do the same and come away with yet different numbers. Policies seen to vary based on which supervisor was on duty. I hope as they refine the implementation of this relatively new policy we'll see more consistency. We like the cruise line but not necessarily the back-office operation.