NYC Merrytime Advice/Recommend

eliasjohn

Hi there and thanks in advance!

We are considering a 5 night Merrytime cruise out of NYC, early Dec 2017. We have embarked from Port Canaveral in the past, this would be our first time out of NYC. We loved of course the 'warm weather feel' of launching from Florida, but since we live in the Northeast, the convenience of leaving from NYC is very attractive!

So I suppose my question is, will we still get a 'warm weather' feel for a decent portion of the cruise? i.e. how long to get to warmer climate? Or because of where we are launching from (NYC) and general time of year (early Dec) would the temperatures not be great for say sunbathing and swimming out on the deck? We'd like to feel like we are escaping the cold!

And seeking general advice about embarking from NYC (or if you could point me to a pre-existing thread on this topic that would be appreciated!).

Weather varies. No one can answer this accurately for you. We did a trip to WDW in February several years ago. It was so cold that I spent a fortune on sweatshirts and long pants for everyone (my new rule--always bring one cold weather outfit). On the other hand, we've done multiple Feb. WDW/cruise trips where the weather had been lovely. December is a little warmer than February, but you can't predict!

We've cruised four times out of NYC and one of those cruises was a 10 day southern Caribbean on the QM2 leaving Red Hook on November 30. By the time we got down to the Carolinas, we could start feeling the change in temperature and by the second day, we left winter behind us. Coming back on December 10, we sailed through a Northeaster the last night and I woke up to a coating of snow on the deck (which was quite a rude welcome back from your vacation)