Downside to boarding early?

samantha1904

I'm going on my 1st cruise in December!! I'm so excited and eager to get vacay started so I'm thinking about boarding as early as possible. Ncl's website lets you select your boarding time when you check-in online. Is there any downside to getting on the ship asap? I realize my room won't be ready but I'll bring a carry on with essentials.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Since you are already aware your room won't be ready that was going to be the only downside I could think of.

It is great to board early and spend time either exploring the ship or enjoying the pool.

Have a wonderful cruise!!!

As most of the cruising I do is outside the US, I would say a downside is cutting short the available time for sightseeing in a particular city.

But since that's probably not a big factor for you, then I'd say the only other downside is that it tends to be a lot more crowded with people if you just have to be one of the first onboard. Whereas, if you show up later (maybe 3 hours before sailaway), you'll likely waltz right onboard without any significant wait.

All cruise lines give staggered boarding times because they cannot handle everybody showing up at once. Ideally we would all be on the ship before Noon but it's a logistical impossibility. If NCL lets you pick a time the one you want might not be available of all of the "slots" are taken.

The downside to boarding early is being stuck in a very long check-in line. It happens when too many people ignore their boarding time because they wanted to get on as early as possible. It's worse when these early arrivals try to come to the cruise terminal before the passengers from the previous cruise are off the ship! They clog up the traffic and make it difficult for disembarking passengers to meet up with their rides. (Then of course the cruise line gets blamed for running a badly organized boarding process.)

Just saying. I hope it goes smoothly for you but don't say you were not warned if half the ship has the same idea.

Edited by BlueRiband

From my experience, being in the first group to check in results in shorter lines, fewer people on board, and more time to explore. We have never had long queues to check in. A few times we have had to wait for the VIP and loyalty program people to board before us, but that was a minor wait. Even with a carry on bag until our room is available, it is not a problem. We have never arrived when suggested to, instead always early, and we have never been denied boarding.

I figure I paid for a full day on the ship, and I want to enjoy as much of that day as I can. I also prefer lunch in the MDR or other quiet dining venue if available, which often are open only for limited times ending much sooner than before latecomers are on board. Boarding later may mean a shorter queue for check in, but the lines to actually board the ship can be quite long indeed.

The downside to boarding early is being stuck in a very long check-in line. It happens when too many people ignore their boarding time because they wanted to get on as early as possible. It's worse when these early arrivals try to come to the cruise terminal before the passengers from the previous cruise are off the ship! They clog up the traffic and make it difficult for disembarking passengers to meet up with their rides. (Then of course the cruise line gets blamed for running a badly organized boarding process.)

Just saying. I hope it goes smoothly for you but don't say you were not warned if half the ship has the same idea.

I agree and would also say this is the biggest downside to early boarding. Long lines at 9 or 10 am. No lines at noon or 1 pm. Of course this is your call as the upside of early boarding is getting on the ship a few hours earlier.

To clarify I meant schedule my boarding time early. I wouldn't go before I was scheduled.
But a lot of other people do choose to arrive earlier than their scheduled time, which increases the check in congestion.

On your first cruise (first ever or first time on a particular ship) the temptation to arrive early is sort of overwhelming.

I also prefer lunch in the MDR or other quiet dining venue if available, which often are open only for limited times ending much sooner than before latecomers are on board.

I agree with eating in the MDR. Be aware that most of the cruiselines steer you to the buffet. I also remember that the MDR is not open on the first day on HAL.

I agree with eating in the MDR. Be aware that most of the cruiselines steer you to the buffet. .

On our first Princess cruise last month out of San Francisco we had learned about lunch in the MDR on embarkation day - and on every sea day - from reading cruise critic. I learned that the location would be listed in the daily newsletter. When boarding I asked several crew members who were directing us towards the ship's entrance where the MDR lunch was being held. Each and every one of them told us only the buffet and pool grill were open. Sure enough, the MDR lunch location and hours were listed in the newsletter, and because we boarded early, had a nice, leisurely and quiet lunch on our first day. If we had checked in at the suggested time - between 2:00 and 2:30 - we would have missed that comfortable, relaxing lunch.

I agree and would also say this is the biggest downside to early boarding. Long lines at 9 or 10 am. No lines at noon or 1 pm. Of course this is your call as the upside of early boarding is getting on the ship a few hours earlier.

Check-in started at 11:15 am, and we were inside the terminal as soon as the doors opened. When we were done with lunch, we explored the ship and then went back to our room to unpack. Our balcony overlooked the boarding ramp/tunnel. Even as late as 2:30 - the time people had to be checked in for our 4:00 pm departure - the line to enter the ship extended down the promenade deck, through the long gangway tunnel, and down the entire length of the terminal and into the building. It was moving very slowly. We had been on the ship, fed and relaxed, for three hours by then.

But a lot of other people do choose to arrive earlier than their scheduled time, which increases the check in congestion.

On your first cruise (first ever or first time on a particular ship) the temptation to arrive early is sort of overwhelming.

So glad we checked in early!!! There was no line - we went straight to the check in counter - and the line up the gangway ramp and into the ship moved at walking pace, unlike what people who arrived later had to endure. We were on board and in our room in less than 20 minutes, not counting time waiting for VIPs and loyalty program people to board first - which was another 15 minutes at most.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Is there any downside to getting on the ship asap?

If sailing from a US port and you go to a bar to purchase a drink, local sales taxes of 6-8% will be added, even if you have the UBP Open Bar.

So if you board early and end up ordering an extra round or 2 of afternoon "I'm On a Ship ... I'm on Vacation" drinks while waiting to set sail, expect a few .60 cent / .70 cent surprise charges you may not have been expecting.

Have a great 1st cruise!!!!

If sailing from a US port and you go to a bar to purchase a drink, local sales taxes of 6-8% will be added, even if you have the UBP Open Bar.

So if you board early and end up ordering an extra round or 2 of afternoon "I'm On a Ship ... I'm on Vacation" drinks while waiting to set sail, expect a few .60 cent / .70 cent surprise charges you may not have been expecting.

Have a great 1st cruise!!!!

Hmm.. I thought that only happened with Texas departures. I've not seen that with Florida ports but maybe we've been lucky.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Check-in started at 11:15 am, and we were inside the terminal as soon as the doors opened. When we were done with lunch, we explored the ship and then went back to our room to unpack. Our balcony overlooked the boarding ramp/tunnel. Even as late as 2:30 - the time people had to be checked in for our 4:00 pm departure - the line to enter the ship extended down the promenade deck, through the long gangway tunnel, and down the entire length of the terminal and into the building. It was moving very slowly. We had been on the ship, fed and relaxed, for three hours by then.

Yes, we have also experienced this, especially with early boarding privileges. It is fantastic:). I haven't been to the new cruise terminal in SF. I hear it is an improvement over the old pier.

Unless things have changed, I think as a general rule in most ports the biggest crowds/lines happen earlier.