Why 2 Days in Dunedin

Dunedin is my favourite city in New Zealand, it is so picturesque.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attractions-g255119-Activities-Dunedin_Otago_Region_South_Island.html

Speights Ale House and Larnach Castle are worth a visit. Depending on time of year if there is a rugby game on at Forsyth Barr Stadium you could do that for a real NZ cultural experience. I thought the Cadbury factory was closing down so that might be off the agenda. They are very proud of the railway building if you like architecture, there are also a lot of beautiful churches in the city. The octagon and surrounding streets provide quite good shopping. I don't know, I just really like the feel of Dunedin and kiwis are such friendly people, I'm sure you will find enough to fill your time.

Spent my teenage years living in Dunedin. Plenty of things to do and see. Botanical Gardens are worth a visit in North Dunedin. You could go to the two beach areas of St Kilda and St Clair. Not sure you still can get to it but Cargills Castle ruin was great place to visit.

Our friend's daughter met us off the ship with a fantastic home made picnic lunch that included every known NZ specialty. We drove to Larnoch Castle, spread our tartan blankets on the lawn and settled in for a feast I will never forget. You should have seen the envious glances from other tourists wandering by. Felt like a scene right out of a movie. Living the Downton Abbey lifestyle for an afternoon.

If you get out to the wildlife sanctuary, take the steps down to the little bay. Have a very close look at the long grasses growing alongside. If you poke your camera into some of the small openings you might "capture" one of the little blue penguins that nest there.

We are in Dunedin for 2 full days on our Azamara cruise. I can't figure out why we have 2 days there. Any thoughts as to what there is to do in Dunedin?DON

Hi Don, Just a thought as to why you have the two days there. The previous call is probably Milford Sound where tourist boats come out to meet the ship and take people for the overland tour , meeting up with the ship again in Dunedin. It is usually an overnight tour but for your cruise they may have allowed an extra night to take in the sights.

As said above lots to see and do in Dunedin.

We honeymooned in New Zealand back before we discovered cruising and spent a couple of days in Dunedin.

I would recommend a visit to Olveston House. DW is not interested in historic houses but even she said it was interesting.

http://www.olveston.co.nz

Another option would be the Royal Albatross Centre on the Otago Peninsular.

http://albatross.org.nz

We also did Larnach Castle, the railway station, Cadbury's, etc.

We've subsequently been back on a cruise and Port Chalmers was one of my favourite cruise ship ports for two reasons:

1. They had free wifi on the dock.

2. The big church up on the hill had organists rostered to play the entire time the ship was in port. We could wander up to the organ loft and chat to the organist and anyone with even minimal keyboard skill was invited to play a piece or two. I'm no organist but NEVER pass up the opportunity to play a pipe organ.

Dunedin is my favourite city in New Zealand, it is so picturesque.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attractions-g255119-Activities-Dunedin_Otago_Region_South_Island.html

Speights Ale House and Larnach Castle are worth a visit. Depending on time of year if there is a rugby game on at Forsyth Barr Stadium you could do that for a real NZ cultural experience. I thought the Cadbury factory was closing down so that might be off the agenda. They are very proud of the railway building if you like architecture, there are also a lot of beautiful churches in the city. The octagon and surrounding streets provide quite good shopping. I don't know, I just really like the feel of Dunedin and kiwis are such friendly people, I'm sure you will find enough to fill your time.

The Cadbury factory is to close down, but Cadbury World will remain open.

Hi Don, Just a thought as to why you have the two days there. The previous call is probably Milford Sound where tourist boats come out to meet the ship and take people for the overland tour , meeting up with the ship again in Dunedin. It is usually an overnight tour but for your cruise they may have allowed an extra night to take in the sights.

As said above lots to see and do in Dunedin.

Actually the port AFTER Dunedin is Milford Sound and I do not see an option of a Milford Sound trip from Dunedin.

Don't get me started on Milford Sound. We arrive at Milford Sound at 5:00 PM when the sound is already in deep shadows because of the high Fjord walls (I checked on The Photographer's Ephemeris to determine when the Fjord is in shadow) and we get out of Milford Sound at 10:00 PM when it is dark. Why do cruise companies set up such idiotic itineraries.?

Before you ask - I did not pick this cruise - my wife did. I wanted to do a 25 day land trip in New Zealand. My wife picked this 13 day cruise and I am now stuck w trying to integrate a 13 day cruise around New Zealand with a 15 - 17 day land trip in New Zealand.

Not fun.

DON

I'd just like to add a couple of things to all the wonderful suggestions that people have made already, as someone who has spent a great deal of time in Dunedin.

Along, and just off the Main Street in Dunedin, George Street which passes through the Octagon and becomes Princes Street, are lots of cool Op shops/second hand stores. Best to check on Google exactly where!

If you're looking for a place to dine on the night you are there, I am of the opinion that the Italian Restaurant "Etrusco", on Moray Place, is very good, possibly the best restaurant in town.

If you are looking for a cool cafe, The Dog with Two Tails is also worthwhile.

I should also add that Toitu Otago Settlers Museum is very worthwhile, and comes close to the quality you can expect from Te Papa, The National Museum of New Zealand.

Craig. :)