Club Class Dining on the Pacific Princess - July 2017

cflutist

We just enjoyed 18 wonderful days of Club Class Dining on the Pacific Princess while sailing in an Owner's Suite.

There are 10 suites and 14 Club Class Mini Suites on the Pacific Princess.

It was not true "Anytime" Dining because we were told to arrive either from 5:30 - 6:15 (early seating) or 7:45 - 8:15 (late seating) but could come at either time on any day. There was not a separate entrance, but rather a sign and a roped off area.

There were five - 2-tops, four 4-tops, and one 6 top. Attached is a photo of the map.

For early seating there were 3 couples (including us) who sat at the three 2-tops that were close enough that we could chat.

Two other couples sat at the 2-tops near the wall. Once in awhile another couple might show up but there were never more than seven couples during the early seating. Was told by our waiter that almost all of the tables were occupied during the later seating.

Our waiter told us that all of the chairs were reupholstered during drydock. They are an ivory leather with maroon velvet backing.

20170705_024348.jpg.7db8fb1941b655f63359926ae17cf4ef.jpg

20170707_072501_resized.jpg.9eba6c9c8e5e7e4edef1594fc3328e03.jpg

20170627_060630.jpg.e70da2aee5142231868dec3222b79f8f.jpg

Now about the food.

We were offered additional and/or upgraded main entrees each evening.

They also prepared special desserts on occasion.

I took notes so I could report back to you:

6/27 - additional main was lamb chops

6/28 - additional appetizer was a duck breast confit (this was delicious), dessert was a prepared peach flambe

6/29 - additional main was Mediterranean shrimp with garlic

6/30 - prepared penne pasta, orange roughy, prepared dessert was a banana split

7/1 - additional main was pan seared butterfish with burre blanc, prepared appetizer was pasta with cream sauce

7/2 - while the MDR served mushroom risotto, we were offered it with seafood, or in my case, just shrimp, prepared dessert was a strawberry Romanoff

7/3 - additional main was Chicken Kiev, prepared dessert was pineapple flambe

7/4 - lunch, they brought BBQ ribs and boneless fried chicken platter to the CC Diners to share. Prepared appetizer at dinner was gnocchi with cheese

7/5 - additional appetizer was wok fried shrimp and beef

7/6 - additional appetizer was sauteed shrimp, prepared dessert was peach melba

7/7 - prepared salad was a Caesar salad with shrimp, chicken, and/or anchovies

7/8 - additional main was a Surf and Turf and optional Steak Diane (mushroom/cream sauce)

7/9 - additional main was a seafood Cioppino

7/10 - additional main was a Surf and Turf, prepared dessert was banana flambe

7/11 - additional appetizer was pasta Primivera

7/12 - additional main was Lobster Thermidor, prepared dessert was a crepe Suzette

7/13 - additional main was pork tenderloin and sea scallops

7/14 - additional main was Steak Diane again - NY strip and a mushroom sauce. And of course, the Baked Alaska Parade.

Overall, we really enjoyed Club Class Dining, with only 5 tables occupied during early seating, we had plenty of time to chat with the waiters. The three 2-top tables close to each other allowed the three couples to easily hold conversations between us.

Now about the food.

We were offered additional and/or upgraded main entrees each evening.

They also prepared special desserts on occasion.

I took notes so I could report back to you:

6/27 - additional main was lamb chops

6/28 - additional appetizer was a duck breast confit (this was delicious), dessert was a prepared peach flambe

6/29 - additional main was Mediterranean shrimp with garlic

6/30 - prepared penne pasta, orange roughy, prepared dessert was a banana split

7/1 - additional main was pan seared butterfish with burre blanc, prepared appetizer was pasta with cream sauce

7/2 - while the MDR served mushroom risotto, we were offered it with seafood, or in my case, just shrimp, prepared dessert was a strawberry Romanoff

7/3 - additional main was Chicken Kiev, prepared dessert was pineapple flambe

7/4 - lunch, they brought BBQ ribs and boneless fried chicken platter to the CC Diners to share. Prepared appetizer at dinner was gnocchi with cheese

7/5 - additional appetizer was wok fried shrimp and beef

7/6 - additional appetizer was sauteed shrimp, prepared dessert was peach melba

7/7 - prepared salad was a Caesar salad with shrimp, chicken, and/or anchovies

7/8 - additional main was a Surf and Turf and optional Steak Diane (mushroom/cream sauce)

7/9 - additional main was a seafood Cioppino

7/10 - additional main was a Surf and Turf, prepared dessert was banana flambe

7/11 - additional appetizer was pasta Primivera

7/12 - additional main was Lobster Thermidor, prepared dessert was a crepe Suzette

7/13 - additional main was pork tenderloin and sea scallops

7/14 - additional main was Steak Diane again - NY strip and a mushroom sauce. And of course, the Baked Alaska Parade.

Overall, we really enjoyed Club Class Dining, with only 5 tables occupied during early seating, we had plenty of time to chat with the waiters. The three 2-top tables close to each other allowed the three couples to easily hold conversations between us.

Thanks for the thorough review--sounds wonderful--looking forward to Club Class dining on her shortly!

Many thanks for your review. On most Princess ships "Club Class" unfortunately, is denied us poor mortals who have to have a wheelchair accessible cabin, including on the Pacific. We managed to avail ourselves of this delightful experience on the Crown last month as we were in a full suite. We "do" the Pacific Princess in a couple of weeks time in an accessible non club class mini. Envy Envy. :) Carry on cruising.

Edited by Ron the Rev
Typo

Many thanks for your review. On most Princess ships "Club Class" unfortunately, is denied us poor mortals who have to have a wheelchair accessible cabin, including on the Pacific. We managed to avail ourselves of this delightful experience on the Crown last month as we were in a full suite. We "do" the Pacific Princess in a couple of weeks time in an accessible non club class mini. Envy Envy. :) Carry on cruising.

Since the Club Class dining on the Pacific Princess is actually Traditional Dining at a fixed time (although you can switch which time you want), you are really not missing much by not being in Club Class. The extra item on the menu is the main benefit that you will not have.

Since the Club Class dining on the Pacific Princess is actually Traditional Dining at a fixed time (although you can switch which time you want), you are really not missing much by not being in Club Class. The extra item on the menu is the main benefit that you will not have.

I wouldn't quite agree with this. While the difference isn't as extreme as economy vs first class on an airline, it is different. I thought there was more space in the the Club Class area, we were not so jammed together. it also seemed quieter, perhaps because every table there was not occupied when we went to dinner. I also thought we got more attention from the waiters and at least on our cruise, the waiters were all superb. Lastly the Maitre'd and Head Waiter were right there, so I suspect that kept the service levels pretty high also, plus we got to talk to them each night and more that just in a quick pass-by.

Lastly, as Cflutist pointed out, there were extras in regards to food every night and any food related variations we asked for were taken care of.

It was a different experience.

All that said, for some people it would not be any different, nor would they want to pay more (and be able to go to the Club Class area). As a backpacker, there is a great saying - "Hike Your Own Hike". I'd say cruisers should go on their cruises with a "Cruise Your Own Cruise" attitude. :)

Thanks for the info.....:):):)

Bob

We were in Club Class Dining on the Royal during our last cruise. The dining area was very similar to what was described in this thread. We had a few uncomfortable moments. The line was just a line right next to the regular anytime line, and being ushered in before all the other people waiting and sitting right next to people waiting was very uncomfortable. While we had very good food and service, all that extra time to chat with our waiters, became a bit wearing. We sat alone at a two top because we wanted to be alone to celebrate our anniversary, but our servers did everything but sit at the table with us. They were very nice and we enjoyed "visiting" but not for the entire meal. While it was great not to have to wait to be seated, we decided not to do that again. By the way, the Royal and the Regal both have Accessible Club Level minis.......and while we booked a year out, the accessible suites were all booked.....At least they had a choice of accessible cabins at almost every level which has not been the case until recently.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There was a motorized wheelchair in Club Class on the July 9th sailing of Pacific Princess. The individual with the motorized wheelchair stayed in a handicap room in the Club Class section of the ship (mid-8th deck) and had no problem dining in Club Class area each evening.

On the Crown Princess the Port side entrance to the dining room is exclusively for Club Dining with its own Maitre 'd - very efficiently operated in my opinion. If you are happy with the price differential it is definitely worth it for the more relaxed atmosphere - in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...
We were in Club Class Dining on the Royal during our last cruise. The dining area was very similar to what was described in this thread. We had a few uncomfortable moments. The line was just a line right next to the regular anytime line, and being ushered in before all the other people waiting and sitting right next to people waiting was very uncomfortable. While we had very good food and service, all that extra time to chat with our waiters, became a bit wearing. We sat alone at a two top because we wanted to be alone to celebrate our anniversary, but our servers did everything but sit at the table with us. They were very nice and we enjoyed "visiting" but not for the entire meal. While it was great not to have to wait to be seated, we decided not to do that again. By the way, the Royal and the Regal both have Accessible Club Level minis.......and while we booked a year out, the accessible suites were all booked.....At least they had a choice of accessible cabins at almost every level which has not been the case until recently.

Thank you for your thoughts on this. I would have the same thoughts/feelings.

I was under the impression that there is a separate entrance to the dining room for Club Class. Is this not the case--or not the case on all the ships?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...

We were on the Grand to Alaska in May in Club Class. There was a separate entrance which was good but there was one couple that were, unfortunately, not very likable and you could not get a word in if you sat with them as they definitely did all the talking :eek:. They wanted company and got us one night - the next night we ask to please not be seated with them again. I guess 2 other couples had ask the same thing so everyone wound up sitting alone or with people they were traveling with. The club class staff was at a loss as it was only their second cruise with club class.

We have been on Pacific Princess before and because there aren't long lines for open seating, as no open seating and only traditional, the cost might not be worth it. However we are in a club class mini next year in August to Iceland as there were no cabins on the port side on the 8th floor other than club and we wanted the view of Iceland as we traveled around it.

The change; however on the June 9 Fire & Ice it was Jascar (sp).

I became FB friends with Josko, Watchara, and Jojo. All three are off the ship now enjoying their vacation. We spent a lot of time chatting since early Club Class Dining was so quiet, just 10 passengers total. It was interesting to read about ship life.