Colombo

ceba

Has anyone walked from the cruise port to town in Colombo? According to a map I saw it looks easy. How about doing Colombo on your own? Ideas? Sometimes I think if I see one more office building on a city tour I may scream!

• 2 weeks later...

We visited Colombo as part of a long cruise and I cannot remember if I would have wanted to walk into town in that port. We used Blue Lanka Tours for the two days we were there and were very happy with them. They were very accommodating when I told them we didn't want just another city tour. I have gotten to the point of when I first make contact with a tour company I tell them I want to see the things that make their town unique and I want to do outdoor activities if possible.

First day we went to Galle: The drive was a little long - 3 hours - but we did get to see greenery along the way and we stopped at a turtle hatchery and a mask factory. Had lunch overlooking the ocean in Galle then walked along the top of the ramparts to a lighthouse. Drove further along the coast to see the stilt fishermen. I had asked to see Rumasalla Nature area so we could do something outdoors - they tried very hard to get us there through a very narrow dirt road that ended at a gate that said closed. The guide said no problem there is an interesting temple nearby to show you instead - and it was interesting even though we had seen many temples on this trip.

2nd day: Did the city tour today - had to be back on board at 4pm so couldn't venture too far. The city has lots of colonial buildings and we drove around seeing them - Independence Square, BMICH, Town Hall, Galle Face Green,, the old parliament. Also saw the new parliament, shopped in a market and a floating market, saw the peppermint mosque, a stadium that is designed to look like a lotus pond from the top, Pettah and the fort area. We stopped at a water temple where we saw a beautiful wedding party in costumes - this was an interesting stop and the wedding party let us take pictures of them. We also stopped at Gangarama Temple - a large temple area with many different sections. There was one section that looked like a small Borobudur, another that was a museum of donations, another that was a normal Buddhist temple, one with a large Buddha that we were told not to turn our back toward. There were several weddings at this temple too. Turns out that day was a lucky wedding day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We visited Colombo as part of a long cruise and I cannot remember if I would have wanted to walk into town in that port. We used Blue Lanka Tours for the two days we were there and were very happy with them. They were very accommodating when I told them we didn't want just another city tour. I have gotten to the point of when I first make contact with a tour company I tell them I want to see the things that make their town unique and I want to do outdoor activities if possible.

First day we went to Galle: The drive was a little long - 3 hours - but we did get to see greenery along the way and we stopped at a turtle hatchery and a mask factory. Had lunch overlooking the ocean in Galle then walked along the top of the ramparts to a lighthouse. Drove further along the coast to see the stilt fishermen. I had asked to see Rumasalla Nature area so we could do something outdoors - they tried very hard to get us there through a very narrow dirt road that ended at a gate that said closed. The guide said no problem there is an interesting temple nearby to show you instead - and it was interesting even though we had seen many temples on this trip.

2nd day: Did the city tour today - had to be back on board at 4pm so couldn't venture too far. The city has lots of colonial buildings and we drove around seeing them - Independence Square, BMICH, Town Hall, Galle Face Green,, the old parliament. Also saw the new parliament, shopped in a market and a floating market, saw the peppermint mosque, a stadium that is designed to look like a lotus pond from the top, Pettah and the fort area. We stopped at a water temple where we saw a beautiful wedding party in costumes - this was an interesting stop and the wedding party let us take pictures of them. We also stopped at Gangarama Temple - a large temple area with many different sections. There was one section that looked like a small Borobudur, another that was a museum of donations, another that was a normal Buddhist temple, one with a large Buddha that we were told not to turn our back toward. There were several weddings at this temple too. Turns out that day was a lucky wedding day.

Thank you! Sounds like you had a great couple of days. Turns out our second day there is a holiday and most things will be closed. I did find (what I hope is a fun) a tuk tuk tour company that said there were enough things open to make a half day out of it.

Has anyone walked from the cruise port to town in Colombo? According to a map I saw it looks easy. How about doing Colombo on your own? Ideas? Sometimes I think if I see one more office building on a city tour I may scream!

Yes, we did it. Not much to see and we normally like wandering the ports! It was hot, dirty and not worth it in our minds. Next time we go there, we probably won't even get off the ship (been twice).

We used to say "How can anyone not get off, even if they've been somewhere before?". Well, as we travel more and more, there are definitely places we don't need to get off at again. Just MHO.

Linda R.

Yes, we did it. Not much to see and we normally like wandering the ports! It was hot, dirty and not worth it in our minds. Next time we go there, we probably won't even get off the ship (been twice).

We used to say "How can anyone not get off, even if they've been somewhere before?". Well, as we travel more and more, there are definitely places we don't need to get off at again. Just MHO.

Linda R.

I've heard people say Colombo wasn't a high point for them and frankly it's been tough to find something to get really excited about. I have a feeling a half day tour may be plenty! Thank you for your thoughts

Hi,your city tour sounded better than ours with P&O this year.We did not see a floating market or anything like that and thought the city was a bit of a dump.We are stopping there again next year and will probably go into the country and see the tea plantations.Get the ships tour as it is a long way and our friends bus broke down and just made it back on time.I heard the elephant sanctuary has cruelty issues so I will not be going there,cheers,Brian.

Hi,your city tour sounded better than ours with P&O this year.We did not see a floating market or anything like that and thought the city was a bit of a dump.We are stopping there again next year and will probably go into the country and see the tea plantations.Get the ships tour as it is a long way and our friends bus broke down and just made it back on time.I heard the elephant sanctuary has cruelty issues so I will not be going there,cheers,Brian.

The floating market was small but I'm glad we went. This is why I prefer private tours when possible...we always see more than a ship tour because fewer people. But, we still take ship tours if we are concerned with getting back to the ship.

Blue Lanka tours took good care of us. We've been in private tour vehicles (not in Colombo) that broke down but have always made it back to the ship with time to spare.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums