Grand vs Star to Hawaii

lucky0518

I am looking at booking a trip to Hawaii next spring. I have options on the Grand from SF and Star from LA.

I live on the west coast so getting to SF and LA is a non issue.

We have sailed on Sapphire, Crown and Ruby so was just interested in thoughts as to which ship would be beast for a 15 day trip. Interested in Specialty Rest. available on each and overall experience.

We're doing the Star from Vancouver in September. From what we've read, there's very little difference between the ships. We chose our trip for 2 reasons - first, we love Vancouver and it's an excuse to spend a little more time there, and second, the Hawaiian Ambassador team Elua will be onboard that one. From what we've read, they really enhance the whole cultural experience, which is especially important with so many sea days. If you search the Princess board with their name, you'll see posts with their 2017 schedule. Maybe someone has a link to the 2018 schedule?

We live in Seattle so would require a flight either way. SF make the trip really easy, but have read some comments about Grand being tired and not as well kept as Star.

Elua is scheduled to be on the Star out of LA on the sailings we are exploring.

Do you think Club Class cabins are worth it? Seem to have very mixed reviews in the dinning room.

We live in Seattle so would require a flight either way. SF make the trip really easy, but have read some comments about Grand being tired and not as well kept as Star.

Elua is scheduled to be on the Star out of LA on the sailings we are exploring.

Do you think Club Class cabins are worth it? Seem to have very mixed reviews in the dinning room.

We can drive to LA so that's a big bonus for us. ;)

But even if the ship's homeports were switched & enjoying Alfredo's Pizzeria, we would still prefer the Star with Elua doing the onboard Aloha Spirit Program. Obviously the SF sailaway is better and more things pre or post cruise closer than in LA but I'd still prefer the Star. I've read both good & bad things about the Grand's condition but nothing negative about the Star's condition which was shipshape for our cruise.

We had a great cruise on the Star to Hawaii in January & prefer the Star's layout. The ship has Skywalkers for great views which was removed on the Grand & replaced by what I've read is a less desirable One5 Lounge. Besides that change mostly everything else is similar (Grand has Alfredo's) despite some modifications resulting in them no longer being identical twins.

But that's merely what's best for me & whichever you decide is your best option it'll be a great cruise.

I've only read opinions about Club Class which for me is nothing I'd ever pay to receive. The few cruises I've checked had over a 50% increase in the cruise fare. We already receive all of those benefits because of our Captain's Circle level except for the dining option. For us on a 7-day cruise it's not worth over $100 per day for both of us to eat in the Club Class section & having an item prepared tableside. It may be worthwhile for anyone who would be paying for all of the benefits but not for us because we already receive them for free.

Edited by Astro Flyer

We did the Hawaii itinerary to/from Vancouver on the Star this past spring and it was fantastic :) I would chose the Star over the Grand any day of the week because the Star has Skywalkers. We spent a lot of time in Skywalkers relaxing, reading, watching movies on an ipad, etc...

Good luck with your choice :)

Here's Elua's 2017/2018 schedule:

Aloha Kakou!

It's that time of year where we post our schedule for the coming Hawaiian season. We just received our assignments and are pleased that once again, Princess has seen fit fit to assign us to the Star Princess. We are marking our 12th year with Princess, and can think of no better way then to bring Hawaiian culture to our guests. Please note that besides the dates below, we do now know of any other assignments. Leialoha and I hope to see many of you onboard, both the first timers to the islands, and our veteran cruisers who we see each and every season. Here are the dates:

September 23, 2017 Star Princess Vancouver, BC

October 25, 2017 Star Princess Los Angeles, Ca

November 14, 2017 Star Princess Los Angeles, Ca

December 19, 2017 Star Princess Los Angeles, Ca

January 3, 2018 Star Princess Los Angeles, Ca

January 18, 2018 Star Princess Los Angeles, Ca

February 2, 2018 Star Princess Los Angeles, Ca

February 17, 2018 Star Princess Los Angeles, Ca

March 4, 2018 Star Princess Los Angeles, Ca

March 19, 2018 Star Princess Los Angeles, Ca

April 10, 2018 Star Princess Los Angeles, Ca

November 4-18, 2018 Coral Princess Guam-Los Angeles, Ca

As always, we are deeply thankful that so many of you have expressed an interest in scheduling your cruises based on our schedule. But please know that if you choose a different ship then the Star to go to Hawaii on, there will be a cultural enrichment program, led by some truly gifted and wonderful Hawaiian Ambassadors. That being said, we look forward to seeing many of you in the coming season, and sharing our beautiful islands with all of you.

Aloha No,

Tiki Dave

(of Elua)

www.facebook.com/eluamusic

www.facebook.com/daveshellymusic

I am looking at booking a trip to Hawaii next spring. I have options on the Grand from SF and Star from LA.

I live on the west coast so getting to SF and LA is a non issue.

We have sailed on Sapphire, Crown and Ruby so was just interested in thoughts as to which ship would be beast for a 15 day trip. Interested in Specialty Rest. available on each and overall experience.

I loved the Star on our Hawaii cruise out of Vancouver and really, really enjoyed Elua. And as others have mentioned Skywalkers is also a big plus for the Star. In the daytime it is just so peaceful to relax and take in the view from there. In fact, the only negative on our trip was the terrible bed in our cabin but even that will have been replaced by the luxury beds by the time you sail.

Having done both, I'd definitely take the Star again. We didn't like the condition on the Grand, and we loved the Star. Also there is a Skywalkers on the Star, and we spent a lot of time there.

The Grand is really not my favorite ship but does have some advantages such as a great staff and food. Also, sailing under the Golden Gate is awesome! There is a newer port in San Francisco that is wonderful as well.

But, I would probably still go on the Star because she is a much nicer ship and if Elua is onboard, that's the one I would pick.

My choice would also be the Star for Hawaii. You will have better weather leaving out of San Pedro and a longer port time in Ensenada. Even if you don't get off the ship there, your last day on board should be nice and warm, as opposed to sailing up the California Coast, against the current, in cold weather.

My choice would also be the Star for Hawaii. You will have better weather leaving out of San Pedro and a longer port time in Ensenada. Even if you don't get off the ship there, your last day on board should be nice and warm, as opposed to sailing up the California Coast, against the current, in cold weather.

And that's coming from someone who could more easily drive to SF than to fly or have a long drive to LA. ;)

We've done both ships to Hawaii. I found the rooms on the star to be "smaller", not in actual feet, but in layout because of the large closet, but if you want/need the closet space, Star is the way to go.

The bathrooms on the Grand are bigger IMO, especially the shower; Star was definitely a single, while Grand, you could fit 1 1/2 persons in them.

We take the Grand frequently because of the closeness. SanFran is about 3 hours away, while LA is 10. I also like SanFran more, even though it's more expensive to stay and park. Nothing beats going under the bridge on embankment day.

Smoking section on Star is an afterthought mid aft, unmanned and uncomfortable chairs, while on Grand it's an entire area of comfortable padded chairs, coffee tables and full service, right off club 15, aft.

And that's coming from someone who could more easily drive to SF than to fly or have a long drive to LA. ;)

OMG, sometimes it's easier to fly from Sacramento to LAX. We use our Southwest points to fly for free and catch the Super Shuttle to San Pedro. Parking at the Sacramento airport is only $10.00 per day.

OP, if you do decide to do the Grand Princess, I've spent 20 days on her this year and have 10 more booked.

Yes, The One Five isn't as nice as Skywalker's, but the leather club chairs are new and it's been freshened up a bit.

The staterooms have the new mattresses and the public areas have new carpeting. The MUTS screen is new, so no more missing pixels.

Sabatini's was re-modeled and it has the new menu. There's also Alfredo's, the pizza restaurant in the Atrium.

There's a new production show "Born to Dance" that is excellent. It's all about the history of dance on Broadway.

My first choice for you is still the Star, but the Grand is fine for Mexico or Alaska.

Both ship are not newer ones as you know. Although they are well maintained I still think they need a new facelift. They should still keep them but modernise them a bit more.

I love Alfredos but because the Star has Skywalkers I would go with her.

Thxs

Ses ya

Éric

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Forums