Can't decide, Denali DIY ?

NitaO

There will six of us taking the southbound princess cruise next summer. Want to see some of Denali, should we book the land portion with princess or try to this on our own? How easy is it to book hotel and rental cars ? Tours?

How easy is it to book hotel and rental cars ? Tours?

It's quite easy to do this trip DIY. For the best prices on the rental car, start looking at prices in October. Book early (make sure its a reservation you can cancel with no penalties) and then check back often for price drops. Cars reserved at the Anchorage airport will cost more (typically but not always) then one booked off site.

You can get recommendations here or on TripAdvisor: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28923-i349-Alaska.html for hotels, dining and activities. Booking DIY lets you decide where you want to go your own schedule. Everything that would be part of a "cruisetour" can be booked on your own.

How much time do you have for the land portion?

Thanks for the quick response, we only have a few days 3-4 on land before cruise. Some of the group want to see Denali. Thanks for the tip for rental cars , I think we will have to rent two cars because of luggage. Do you have any hotel suggestions?

We are doing this in about 6 weeks. I can let you know how it went afterwards. There are 6 of us as well. We started planning about this time last year so I'll give you a little bit of the details on what we are planning. (We are 3 couples so all of our costs were split in 3)

We will be flying in on Tuesday afternoon to Anchorage. We ended up renting a Suburban from Midnight Sun Car rental. We did this so we could guarantee we get a Suburban and not a Tahoe (we'll probably have a lot of luggage as well as groceries at one point so we just wanted to be sure). They have an additional fee you can tack on to actually drop the car off in Whittier instead of Anchorage. Since there were six of us, the drop off fee came out cheaper than all of us getting transportation to the port from Anchorage. In addition, this will give us a leisurely drive down to the port so we can check out all the sights on Turnigan Arm. People say this area is beautiful so we didnt' want to miss it!

For lodging near Denali, we booked a 3 bedroom house on VRBO for 3 nights. We figured overall this would just work better for us so we could fix our own meals and it seems to be much better lodging than what they offer right at Denali. We will be staying near Cantwell and from the reviews, people act like it is an easy drive to the park.

If I remember, I'll let you know if any of these plans work out like we're hoping they do! LOL

My opinion (everyone has one of those...) is to get the car in Anchorage the day you arrive and head straight to the Denali area if possible. If you have a later arrival, spend the night in Anchorage then head north the next day. There is plenty to see along the way so you could easily make a day of getting there - take a slight detour off the main highway to Talkeetna for lunch. (Almost into Talkeetna is a float plane flight seeing tour that goes to Denali... ALASKA BUSH Float Plane Service.) I toured Denali during the first week of June and we spent the night before and after our Tundra Wilderness Tour nearby. Our hotel was the DENALI PARK HOTEL at Healy - maybe 10-15 minutes away. It was not overly expensive (less than $200 per night for a room with two beds I believe) and the best part was being able to back our SUV up to the room door for unloading/loading. Not a bad place to stay at all - the lobby is in an old Alaska Rail Road train car with a couple more you can see from the highway where some of the staff lives. Nearby was a great place to eat: 49th State Brewery - maybe 1 mile or 5 minutes away. You could turn your car back in at Anchorage and then take the train or a bus to Seward/Whittier for your cruise OR do a car return near the cruise dock.

Edited by SuperCrewBear

Lodging in the Denali area varies from the large cruisetour hotels, small hotels, cabins, Inns, B&B'S and even a hostel. Carlo Creek and Healy are 2 nearby communities (about 15 minutes from the park). Look thru this listing from the Denali Chamber of Commerce: http://a1cms.com/_dcc/accommodations/

For land travel, the Alaska forum of tripadvisor is a much better resource than cruise critic. Look over trip reports and you'll get first hand info on where people stayed.

As for info on tours, there is info in that same link.

But if you meant tours within the park ...... there are tour buses and shuttle buses that travel the 100 miles of park road. There are several different destinations in the park depending on how far you want to travel. You can read about the differences on the park web site and the map shows you the destinations.

https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/visiting-denali.htm

The reservation site also provides info about the tours and shuttles : http://www.reservedenali.com/

I've rec'd good rates from the Enterprise office on Int'l Airport rd by reserving a yr in advance. ie when I checked last week, rates in June 2018 were about $30 a day. Check all the web sites for the best deal and make a reservation for the best rate you can find, then check constantly for a better price. If you don't have exact dates, pad a couple of days on either end .

The trip will not be hard at all to do DIY. The most important thing is to book early. Don't wait until April of next year, start looking now. We did 7 days DIY on land this year and some the parts were booked up to 15 months in advance. Everything we booked had no cancellation fees so we were not committed to anything. Here is a link to my review that will give you some ideas of things to do and places to stay.

There is a wide variety of lodging near Denali. I'm usually in the Healy, area but have stayed there numerous times. I find Cantwell a poor choice for me, since I'm usually on the early buses and like more proximity to the actives/tours I'm on.

In my opinion, with such a short time, the superior choice is independent.. With any Princess cruisetour, your trip is going to be mostly transit, and worse, only have the NHT included.

Do your homework- be realistic and accurate with costs and time. This is an area that is sometimes underestimated.

For Denali I highly recommend Motel Nord Haven (Aurora Denali Lodge now) in Healy. Just 10 minutes away from park nestled off the road away from hustle & bustle of glitter gulch. Older facility but very large, clean rooms. They provide a free hot breakfast & you can order a lunch for Denali. They also provide you with a discount at Dlack Diamond Grill which has great food with huge portions. Stayed here last year & loved how quiet & serene the surroundings were as oppose to glitter gulch area. Very economical too!

I am booking DIY for June 2018. I have already booked my rental car through Enterprise for 6/6 7:30 AM to 6/9 8:00 PM (planning on changing that to 10 PM, should be no change in price). Can't go for the cheapest because there's three of us with luggage, so I chose full-size, pickup on Spenard Rd, dropoff at airport. I booked through Costco Travel for around $215 total.

I have heard that some hotels in Anchorage (if you stay there!) will let you leave some of your luggage while you go elsewhere. I'm going to check on that w/ the hotel we are staying at the night of 6/5. If we can do that, then we will downgrade to a cheaper vehicle. If you are staying in Anchorage before heading out, you might be able to do that and get away with one minivan.

For Denali I highly recommend Motel Nord Haven (Aurora Denali Lodge now) in Healy. Just 10 minutes away from park nestled off the road away from hustle & bustle of glitter gulch. Older facility but very large, clean rooms. They provide a free hot breakfast & you can order a lunch for Denali. They also provide you with a discount at Dlack Diamond Grill which has great food with huge portions. Stayed here last year & loved how quiet & serene the surroundings were as oppose to glitter gulch area. Very economical too!

Biojeep, were their beds full size or queen size? There's three of us, and we would prefer at least one queen (king would be better, LOL!)

Biojeep, were their beds full size or queen size? There's three of us, and we would prefer at least one queen (king would be better, LOL!)

I'm not Biojeep but, we stayed at the Motel Nord Haven this past June. Our group had 6 rooms. 4 of the rooms had one queen bed and the other 2 had two queen beds.

Can I assume the responses would be similar for northern tours ending in Seward? For an important reason we cannot book a cruise tour through Celebrity. We are a family of 4 and kids will be 20 & 18 next summer and we'll need two rooms. The cruise ends on a Friday morning in Seward and our choices are rail with Gray Line or renting a car. Either way, we'd like to do two days in Denali before driving to Anchorage to fly home (either overnight or next day) and flying back to Boston from there.

We have never cruised Alaska and were advised to cancel our Solstice Seattle to Seattle because there is no glacier on that one and Denali is not possible from Seattle either. Millennium may not be as great for the kids, but that Seattle to Seattle looks like a BAD itinerary.

Can I assume the responses would be similar for northern tours ending in Seward? For an important reason we cannot book a cruise tour through Celebrity. We are a family of 4 and kids will be 20 & 18 next summer and we'll need two rooms. The cruise ends on a Friday morning in Seward and our choices are rail with Gray Line or renting a car. Either way, we'd like to do two days in Denali before driving to Anchorage to fly home (either overnight or next day) and flying back to Boston from there.

Which day are you flying home? red-eye flight?

Seward is about 125 miles south of Anchorage, 2 1/2 - 3 hrs drive. It's an easy drive on a 2 lane hwy.

You COULD rent a car with HERTZ in Seward; one-ways usually come with a high drop-off fee, but weigh that rental cost vs a RT rental in Anchorage PLUS the 4 transfer fees).

Other options include Park Connection Bus, Seward Bus Line, Alaska Railroad at 6pm, there might be a 7am cruise-contracted train (check with your cruiseline), and several independent transfers (including https://alaskacruisetransfer.com/schedule/ ).

Which day are you flying home? red-eye flight?

Seward is about 125 miles south of Anchorage, 2 1/2 - 3 hrs drive. It's an easy drive on a 2 lane hwy.

You COULD rent a car with HERTZ in Seward; one-ways usually come with a high drop-off fee, but weigh that rental cost vs a RT rental in Anchorage PLUS the 4 transfer fees).

Other options include Park Connection Bus, Seward Bus Line, Alaska Railroad at 6pm, there might be a 7am cruise-contracted train (check with your cruiseline), and several independent transfers (including https://alaskacruisetransfer.com/schedule/ ).

I am open to either flying back to Boston late Sunday night or Monday. Cruise ends in Seward on a Friday morning. We would stay in Denali Friday and Saturday and head out on Sunday. I would rather spend $100 for a drop off fee than excessive transfers for four people two ways.

I have a bunch of Hertz points and generally can get good prices with them. Maybe that's the way to go.

Our cruise ended in Seward & we took bus with Alaska Cruise Transportation to Anchorage airport. We rented car there & drove to Denali. This enabled us to return the rental at the airport just before we flew home. That is an option as opposed to renting car in Seward.

I am open to either flying back to Boston late Sunday night or Monday. Cruise ends in Seward on a Friday morning. We would stay in Denali Friday and Saturday and head out on Sunday. I would rather spend $100 for a drop off fee than excessive transfers for four people two ways.

I have a bunch of Hertz points and generally can get good prices with them. Maybe that's the way to go.

yes, with 4 people the one-way rental is probably cheaper, and it's a much better use of your time.

You can do Seward to Denali in a day, but it's a 2 lane hwy so the drive can take anywhere from 8 to 14 hrs. You will be slowed down in one or multiple construction zones, slow RV's, gawking tourists in cars, or accidents. Breaking the drive into 2 days will allow you to enjoy sights between Seward and Anc, especially along the Turnagain Arm where you can stop at the Wildlife Conservation Center, pan for gold, ride the tram at Alyeska on a clear day, short hike to Byron Glacier, visit Portage Lake/Glacier, watch salmon at Williwaw, Potters Marsh boardwalk, etc.

http://www.alaska.org/guide/turnagain-arm-drive

If you break it into 2 days it could look something like this:

FRI - disembark and pick up car. Maybe stop at Exit Glacier for a couple of hrs on your way out of town, enjoy several stops on the way to Anchorage. Lunch at Girdwood. Stop at the Eklutna Spirit Houses about 10 miles n of Anchorage. Dinner and overnight in Talkeetna about 2 1/2 hrs north of Anchorage. (Fightseeing over Denali is big in Talkeetna if interested.)

SAT - finish drive to Denali, 2 1/2 hrs. Check into lodging. Enjoy the free sled dog demo at Denali at 2 or 4pm, go river rafting, visit the exhibits, drive to Savage River which is as far as you can take a personal vehicle and take the short hike there. (Or if you get there by noon, take a shuttle bus into the park.

SUN - shuttle or tour bus into the park. Overnight again in Denali

SUN - a leisurely drive back to Anc to overnight , OR, look into available flight options from FAIRBANKS which is only 2 1/2 hrs north of Denali. That would give you an afternoon and evening in Fairbanks for a little more exploring.

MON - fly to Boston

Many options/itineraries to choose from based on your interests and if you want to see and do as much as possible or travel at a relaxing pace.

Have fun with your research and planning !

Our cruise ended in Seward & we took bus with Alaska Cruise Transportation to Anchorage airport. We rented car there & drove to Denali. This enabled us to return the rental at the airport just before we flew home. That is an option as opposed to renting car in Seward.

Thank you. I looked at rates for next summer on expedia and right now, they only go go June 16. We will wait a couple of days until they go to the 18th. You appear to have hit this one dead on. Rentals of SUVs are $60 to $70 per day when picking up and dropping off in Anchorage. It's a couple of hours out of the way, but it makes so much sense. This is a savings of hundreds of dollars and the only way it makes sense to choose car over rail.

yes, with 4 people the one-way rental is probably cheaper, and it's a much better use of your time.

You can do Seward to Denali in a day, but it's a 2 lane hwy so the drive can take anywhere from 8 to 14 hrs. You will be slowed down in one or multiple construction zones, slow RV's, gawking tourists in cars, or accidents. Breaking the drive into 2 days will allow you to enjoy sights between Seward and Anc, especially along the Turnagain Arm where you can stop at the Wildlife Conservation Center, pan for gold, ride the tram at Alyeska on a clear day, short hike to Byron Glacier, visit Portage Lake/Glacier, watch salmon at Williwaw, Potters Marsh boardwalk, etc.

http://www.alaska.org/guide/turnagain-arm-drive

If you break it into 2 days it could look something like this:

FRI - disembark and pick up car. Maybe stop at Exit Glacier for a couple of hrs on your way out of town, enjoy several stops on the way to Anchorage. Lunch at Girdwood. Stop at the Eklutna Spirit Houses about 10 miles n of Anchorage. Dinner and overnight in Talkeetna about 2 1/2 hrs north of Anchorage. (Fightseeing over Denali is big in Talkeetna if interested.)

SAT - finish drive to Denali, 2 1/2 hrs. Check into lodging. Enjoy the free sled dog demo at Denali at 2 or 4pm, go river rafting, visit the exhibits, drive to Savage River which is as far as you can take a personal vehicle and take the short hike there. (Or if you get there by noon, take a shuttle bus into the park.

SUN - shuttle or tour bus into the park. Overnight again in Denali

SUN - a leisurely drive back to Anc to overnight , OR, look into available flight options from FAIRBANKS which is only 2 1/2 hrs north of Denali. That would give you an afternoon and evening in Fairbanks for a little more exploring.

MON - fly to Boston

Many options/itineraries to choose from based on your interests and if you want to see and do as much as possible or travel at a relaxing pace.

Have fun with your research and planning !

Thanks, I like Biojeep's idea. Seward to Denali is too much driving in one day, but getting on a bus to Denali really chops that up and puts the driving on the bus company.

We're not going to rush it and will return on Monday instead of Sunday night. The Sunday night option just to save $500 probably isn't worth it and we don't want to be rushed. Living on the east coast, this trip is rough enough.

Thank you. I looked at rates for next summer on expedia and right now, they only go go June 16. We will wait a couple of days until they go to the 18th. You appear to have hit this one dead on. Rentals of SUVs are $60 to $70 per day when picking up and dropping off in Anchorage. It's a couple of hours out of the way, but it makes so much sense. This is a savings of hundreds of dollars and the only way it makes sense to choose car over rail.

With 4 people it may not make more "sense". Be careful with this thinking since you have a very short time. You already will need to stay until Monday with not getting home until Tues. as it is. It may not be a good use of your valuable time to have to transfer to Anchorage, pick up a car, do snack shopping, stops along the way etc

With 4 people it may not make more "sense". Be careful with this thinking since you have a very short time. You already will need to stay until Monday with not getting home until Tues. as it is. It may not be a good use of your valuable time to have to transfer to Anchorage, pick up a car, do snack shopping, stops along the way etc

Can someone help me with a reality check on this?

There is a bus that leaves the cruise ship at 8:30 am and arrives at Anchorage Stevens airport at 11:00 am. It's $58 per person or $232. It is a 5-hour drive from there to Denali. With an hour stop for lunch, etc., I'm at Denali by 5 pm. That would be on a Friday and leave us all day Saturday for tours and 1/2 day on Sunday before driving back to Anchorage to stay at a hotel. Mid Size SUV rental from Hertz is $300 total with AAA (nice member special).

If I rent in Seward, I would still have an 8-hour drive to Denali (with an hour stop) but could start at 7:30 am and be in Denali by 3:30 pm. I'm driving three more hours and paying a lot more for the car rental (much more than the $232 bus fare) at $737.

The savings in taking the bus transfer to Anchorage is $500 and three hours of my driving time (there is tremendous value to me cutting down on my personal driving time). If we got to Denali 2 hours earlier by renting the car in Seward, I'm not sure what I would gain in the ability to see much.

Another alternative is to spend the first day and night in Talkeetna, but then we are adding more travel time and moving time. When I first considered cruise tours by the cruise line, this was a stop. Nothing blew me away there and the preference was doing more time in Denali.

I would like to see what others think here.

Edited by hubofhockey

We spent the night at Alyeska Resort in Girdwood then drove to Denali. The resort is beautiful & lots to do in the area. Ride from Girdwood to Denali was enjoyable & we stopped in Talkeetna. We found Talkeetna to be interesting but it is more of a tourist trap like Glitter Gulch. Hope you enjoy !!!

Can someone help me with a reality check on this?

There is a bus that leaves the cruise ship at 8:30 am and arrives at Anchorage Stevens airport at 11:00 am. It's $58 per person or $232. It is a 5-hour drive from there to Denali. With an hour stop for lunch, etc., I'm at Denali by 5 pm. That would be on a Friday and leave us all day Saturday for tours and 1/2 day on Sunday before driving back to Anchorage to stay at a hotel. Mid Size SUV rental from Hertz is $300 total with AAA (nice member special).

If I rent in Seward, I would still have an 8-hour drive to Denali (with an hour stop) but could start at 7:30 am and be in Denali by 3:30 pm. I'm driving three more hours and paying a lot more for the car rental (much more than the $232 bus fare) at $737.

The savings in taking the bus transfer to Anchorage is $500 and three hours of my driving time (there is tremendous value to me cutting down on my personal driving time). If we got to Denali 2 hours earlier by renting the car in Seward, I'm not sure what I would gain in the ability to see much.

Another alternative is to spend the first day and night in Talkeetna, but then we are adding more travel time and moving time. When I first considered cruise tours by the cruise line, this was a stop. Nothing blew me away there and the preference was doing more time in Denali.

I would like to see what others think here.

How do you get saving $500? First option is 232+300 = 532. Second option is 737. Savings wold only be 205. Right, or am I confused?