Parking/Hotel Help

CMOTO

;pI am driving myself crazy!! I am in charge of finding the hotel the night before our cruise! We are leaving out of New Orleans, September 24th..7 day cruise.

I know New Orleans is NOT cheap, and I'm not looking to explore the city, I've been there before. Just want a nights sleep.

I was looking for hotel with shuttle to/from port....that's not happening!! LOL

So is it the cheaper route to stay out in Harvey, Metairie, Gretna??? And then pay to park at port? I've been online and its 99 bucks at Fulton if you prepay..taxes and fee's...do they charge this if you just show up?? Is there always a spot if you don't book online??

Sorry for so many questions, I just don't know what the better deal is....

someone help me please!!! LOL:o;)

;pI am driving myself crazy!! I am in charge of finding the hotel the night before our cruise! We are leaving out of New Orleans, September 24th..7 day cruise.

I know New Orleans is NOT cheap, and I'm not looking to explore the city, I've been there before. Just want a nights sleep.

I was looking for hotel with shuttle to/from port....that's not happening!! LOL

So is it the cheaper route to stay out in Harvey, Metairie, Gretna??? And then pay to park at port? I've been online and its 99 bucks at Fulton if you prepay..taxes and fee's...do they charge this if you just show up?? Is there always a spot if you don't book online??

Sorry for so many questions, I just don't know what the better deal is....

someone help me please!!! LOL:o;)

There is a college football game - Syracuse is playing at LSU on 9/23. Unfortunately, many fans stay in New Orleans for LSU home games, which cause rates to be very expensive in the tourist areas (Downtown/Central Business District, Warehouse District, Garden District, French Quarter.)

If you are trying to keep your costs down, I would look in the area around the New Orleans airport or Kenner area. You should be able to get Comfort Inn, Hampton Inn, etc... type quality for the $80 - $90 range. Metarie would be about 10 minutes closer, and slightly more expensive.

If you want something in one of the "tourist areas" mentioned above, I just did a quick search on cheaptickets.com and saw the following:

1. Maison St. Charles Hotel & Suites for $119 This hotel is in the Garden district, and has easy access to the French Quarter due to the streetcar out in front.

2. New Orleans Marriott at the Convention Center $135

3. Wyndham New Orleans FQ $144

4. Fairfield Inn and Suites NO Downtown/FQ $144

Hotwire also has 4* properties available as follows:

Warehouse Dist - $97

French Quarter / Miss River - $113

French Quarter / Bourbon Street - $124

Central Business District - $131

Many of the properties have a bed choice available.

If I just want to sleep and drive to the port the next day I'll usually stay in Metairie or Kenner where the hotels are cheaper and the parking is free. Last year they were charging $14/day if you just pulled up and parked...which comes to about the same as the covered parking online. Personally I book the rooftop parking online...that would be $83 for your cruise. I've cruised the past two Septembers and Fulton has only been about 50-75% full. The time I cruised in July I'd say it was 80-90% full.

There is a park and cruise deal with a shuttle at the Country Inn and Suites in Metairie, but I believe it's a one-way shuttle. You'd have to get a cab or uber back to the hotel. That deal starts at $159 for your night. Hampton Inn Convention Center has a park and cruise package with a shuttle to/from the port. That deal starts at $174 and then you have to pay $14/night parking.

Edited by Saint Greg

Thanks everyone! I am trying to keep costs down as we have already been to New Orleans, we are not looking to party on Bourbon Street!!

I am thinking staying further out and get a cheap hotel room and stay at the fulton parking garage and not book on line. Just show up and park. Why do they charge taxes and a fee if done on line...I really don't want to pay all that!! LOL especially when I can just show up and not pay it!!

Thanks everyone! I am trying to keep costs down as we have already been to New Orleans, we are not looking to party on Bourbon Street!!

I am thinking staying further out and get a cheap hotel room and stay at the fulton parking garage and not book on line. Just show up and park. Why do they charge taxes and a fee if done on line...I really don't want to pay all that!! LOL especially when I can just show up and not pay it!!

It all evens out at Fulton. Pay online at $12/day and they tack on a fee. Show up and pay $14/day with no fee. It comes out about the same. The only thing that's truly cheaper is the rooftop parking online. I don't think you can show up and get a rooftop rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It all evens out at Fulton. Pay online at $12/day and they tack on a fee. Show up and pay $14/day with no fee. It comes out about the same. The only thing that's truly cheaper is the rooftop parking online. I don't think you can show up and get a rooftop rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ohhhh I see now!! Those sneaky peeps!! ;):'):cool:

I guess roof top would be ok...as long as it didn't hail! :o :o:o

Thanks for all the advice, now to just make a decision.

I did look up the Days Inn..shuttle both ways....it doesn't get very good reviews, can anyone local tell me what the surrounding area is like? places to get food or some beer for the evening?? Is it a sketchy area?