Packing for Weather on Eastern Danube in late Sept./early Oct.

Roz

I'm sailing Bucharest to Budapest on Uniworld in late Sept./early Oct. I've checked avg. temps. online, and it looks like temps are warm during the day; cooler at night. I'm thinking long sleeved knit tops and long pants for daytime touring, and a lightweight fleece jacket. Also a rain jacket. What about a couple of lightweight turtlenecks?

When I did my first river cruise (Budapest to Passau in early November), I was advised to bring all kinds of wool clothing and socks for cold, rainy weather. I'm glad I didn't take that advice, mainly because I live in the South and don't own wool clothing. :D We fortunately didn't have rain, and I never even wore the 2 fleece tops I packed that took up a lot of packing space. I was, however, glad for the mid-weight fleece jacket I packed, which I wore over 1-2 layers, depending on the temps, time of day, and activity.

Any advice for this trip?

Roz

I never wear turtlenecks but I always travel with scarves, large and small. The large ones work well on the plane and ship to double as a wrap and can be folded and worn around the neck under a jacket or over a sweater on cooler days. I carry one or two silk 90cm scarves for the slightly cool days. As the day warms up I can remove the scarf and tie it to my handbag strap or put it in my jacket pocket. It's good to be able to remove layers as the days warm up and if you're warming up from walking. I took a Uniworld Rhine cruise in late September and a turtleneck sweater might have been too much.

I mostly wore a waxed cotton jacket with lightweight sweaters or layered knits underneath. I packed a lightweight rain shell but never had to use it. On my last cruise I also made a lot of use of a lightweight quilted vest layered over lightweight fine-gauge sweaters and a scarf. My rain shell could be layered over all that if it was cold and rainy.

We did this cruise in 2016, same time frame, but Bud-Bucharest.

On the cruise portion we had very nice weather; mostly a windbreaker, sometimes with a fleece underneath at the worst. We could have been lucky....

We went up to Transylvania at the end of the trip on our own. Our last full day, 5 October, we were at Peles Castle in Sinaia and it was spitting a little snow. I think you are at about 2000' in elevation, that was our only cold bad weather day.

Do bring comfortable shoes, something with ankle support. You will come across some crumbling sidewalks, and rough walkways.

Enjoy, it's a very interesting cruise.

We also had amazing weather late Sept/early Oct last year. My most used item - my raincoat. Not necessarily because it rained, but good for that extra layer just in case. It would have been too hot in wool although I did occasionally wear my thin Merino cardy on board. I mostly wore short sleeve blouses. Always long trousers as I didn't want to have to bother with packing 3/4 pants as well. I didn't over heat and certainly didn't freeze. Laying is the key! Also, each cabin on the boat has its own heating/cooling unit and we found the temp just right in the lounges.

Great ideas and information. Thanks to all. I booked this cruise on May 2, 2016, so now it's hard for me to believe it's only 2 months out. I need to get serious here and start formulating a wardrobe and filling in the gaps.

Roz