For all the Encore skeptics out there

SKP946

I came onboard prepared to be negative about the Encore, but after 7 days onboard I am a convert, in fact Mrs. SKP and I were saying it will be hard to go back to our (previous) favorite ships! (Quest and Sojourn)

What do we like about the Encore:-

The extra beam, it makes a great difference everywhere, around the pool giving more space, especially the space between the sun lounges and tables (except on sea days, see later comment)

The size and design of the Colonnade, especially outside, and the oval and round buffets, cuts out queuing.

The MDR, the acoustic lower ceiling, makes a big difference to the noise level, for the first time in over 200 Seabourn nights I could sit at a hosted table and carry on a normal conversation with all the others on the table (7 persons)

The TK Grill.

Completely different to the narrow TK on Quest, a wonderful experience, we couldn't fault our one night there so far, (we've been invited to join 2 other bookings)

We think the narrower cabin ( suite) works well. Little things like the LED lights under the vanity and the desk at the entrance, ( smaller, but good for keys and sunglasses)

Best bed we've ever had, sooo comfortable ( and Mrs. SKP says that I'm not snoring !!! )

Power Points, in a quick walk around I counted 7.

The LED lighting is excellent.

I like the light in the safe on opening.

The wider cupboards under and over the wider TV are much better.

The air suction system in both the bathroom and the walk-in robe is now almost silent.

It's great being able to control the fan speed on the room air conditioning.

The sofa is about 2 feet longer.

The only negative is the suite doors, they have a spring closure, a lot of people just let them go, THUD, it reverberates right along the dividing wall, all we can hear on deck 7 is THUD, THUD, THUD all day and half the night, the doors need a hydraulic closure arm ( Seabourn please note)

We've had one sea day so far, one couple put their towels and shoes and magazines out on a padded double lounge under an umbrella just after 6 am, still no sign of the people at 8, but they were there at 10am !

It was crowded around both pools on the sea day.

There were a lot of empty lounges during the day with towels on them, if people would bin their towels when they leave it would save a lot of angst.

Perhaps a klaxon and flashing lights on the lounge if no weight is on the lounge for more than 30 minutes??;)

Port days are very quiet in all areas.

We have over 50 children onboard (38? under 17) all have been perfectly behaved.

All the staff and crew are up to Seabourn's usual excellent high standard.

The two shows we have seen so far have been great.

Food variety and quality, excellent.

As has been noted elsewhere, the new guest laundry is up and running with 5 washers and dryers, 3 ironing boards and a steamer. All it needs now is a bar and some seating and it will be perfect:)

I noticed this comment on a previous post:-

"On the boards, I note similar observations about long wait times, overcrowding, poor service from undertrained staff, etc"

We have had none of this.

All is good in our Seabourn world

I agree with all the comments above, although we have not had a problem with the doors closing around us (also on deck 7) but I can see why that would happen as they are sprung loaded.

I would also like to make a comment on the crew. They are overall the best crew, so helpful and friendly.

The food has been top class. At the end of this cruise we will only have had 44 days on SB, but I would have to say this is the best food we have had. There are more choices on the menu in the MDR and the quality has been excellent.

May it continue ...

I would be inclined to remove the towels if no one appears, I think it's very unfair and I have seen staff on Seabourn remove everything, books, glasses, towels etc, when they have been unused for half an hour or so.

So glad you are enjoying the Encore, it sounds like you are having a good cruise, although my heart would drop at the number of children onboard but of course it is school holidays now and that's a chance you take, so glad they are well behaved.

Boarding Encore in August and I am delighted to read these reviews. Makes a welcome change from criticism. While I am no shrinker from honest assessments of problems, it reminds me that balance is a wonderful thing. Hopefully my own opinions of Encore will be equally good too. I am Scottish, living in Scotland, so our rather lukewarm summer this year, and much more definingly, the recent death of my father in law, has already put me in mind to look for maximum joy and warmth from both the sun and my fellow Seabourners during my cruise, to lift my spirits. They are usually such a wonderfully interesting and engaging group of people to be with. I so wish I was there already! Glad to hear you both like the ship so much and wish you happy travels.

I'm sorry SKP but I find your post totally unacceptable.

We also enjoyed our 4 weeks aboard Encore but was hoping that all the negative comments would drive people away / prices down to the point where we could pick up a bargain. All this positivity is surely going to scupper my plans :)

There must be some more negative stuff you can post. What about the washing powder in the laundry? Is it a premium brand or could you claim cost cutting? What if everyone wanted to eat in the main dining room at 7.15pm and they all wanted the cheese soufflé starter. The ship couldn't cope right?

Oh, and check the jigsaw. When we were there one of them had a piece missing :)

We are next booked on Sojourn again and part of me is slightly worried we will keep comparing back to Encore. In reality I know we will have a great time but Encore was good particularly in terms of styling detail in public spaces.

A lot of junior cruisers on board. I suppose the start of the summer holidays.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise. I think you're in Corsica today and then Pisa / Florence tomorrow. We took the train to Pisa last visit and had a wander round with a spot of lunch in a small cafe.

If you could find some more negative stuff to keep the cost of our next Encore cruise down it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Henry ;)

So SKP is spending a delightful holiday in.......The Twilight Zone. Rod Sterling is the hotel manager. It's a pretty happy state of mind. Enjoy!

Of course, the possibility exists that this ship has had a total turnabout.

50 children?? We are on board Encore at the moment. We have it on good authority there are 22 children (12 teenagers and 10 under 12) on board. You wouldn't know they are there! Our grandchildren are getting on next week aged 9 and 12. We have no complaints whatsoever surprisingly enough. We thought the Inaugural was good but this is even better. Steve - The Retreat is practically empty!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So SKP is spending a delightful holiday in.......The Twilight Zone. Rod Sterling is the hotel manager. It's a pretty happy state of mind. Enjoy!

Of course, the possibility exists that this ship has had a total turnabout.

I see that your are from the US, "Oregon 50" and I know that most Americans don't understand irony, so I must assume that your post is serious.

If you go back and read some of my previous posts you will see that I'm am not a Seabourn Cheerleader, in fact I have been very critical of some Seabourn doings, especially Thomas Keller.

I even made a point of asking 2 Americans to dine with us at TK the other night to get their take, as from these boards it appears that most Americans approve of TK, but others don't.

However even the ultimate skeptic, ( me SKP) had a great night.

Even today, anchored of Il Rouse on Corsica, I saw on the menu at the Patio Grill the Napa Burger, I'm sorry to say that it was delicious, I ate every last bit, how I hate to be proven wrong.

Being from Oz I speak to anyone, I might even speak to you "Oregon 50" if you were aboard, or as I was saying to our Captains wife in the tender as we went ashore today, oops, I wont go there.

We are dining tonight with an English couple at TK, I am preparing to absolutely hate it, then I can write about it here, so as to drive the price down, then Henry and family can cruise in relative seclusion.

Stay tuned.

Thank you, Shefinch and SKP946, for sharing your views and observations

about recent goings-on. It's just as well, then, that the children are behaving and we all maintain our collective sense of humor! And bravo to you, Shefinch, for bringing your grandchildren aboard so they and you can share the Seabourn experience!

About the forlorn "Retreat", I wonder if Seabourn's management has gotten the message that they would earn some goodwill by turning all that precious outdoor Encore deck space into a sports deck - as is the case on the Odyssey class ships and thereby supply enjoyment to all. As opposed to the very, very few who would spend $350 per day to retreat from who-knows-what. That's a trade off that anyone could understand... Time will tell!

We join Odyssey on 5 August in Valletta for a couple of weeks and looking forward to seeing many of our friends among the crew. It's been 17 months since we last sailed on her for that amazing circumnavigation of the Pacific.

Happy and healthy cruising!

However even the ultimate skeptic, ( me SKP) had a great night.

Even today, anchored of Il Rouse on Corsica, I saw on the menu at the Patio Grill the Napa Burger, I'm sorry to say that it was delicious, I ate every last bit, how I hate to be proven wrong.

More skeptical than me? We cannot let that happen. I, too, waited a week before trying the new burger. Probably a good thing as these are probably the best hamburgers at sea today. Very noticeable improvement.

We are dining tonight with an English couple at TK, I am preparing to absolutely hate it, then I can write about it here, so as to drive the price down, then Henry and family can cruise in relative seclusion.

Stay tuned.

You're a good man :)

I won't hold my breath & keep cracking the whip at work to make sure there's enough in the pot just in case the $995 fares fail to materialise :)

Henry