What are your favorite dishes?

SpaceGirl

I'm a foodie, so I'm getting excited about eating on my first cruise (Ruby)! What are some of your favorite dishes, whether it be from the main dining room, buffet, or other places that is not specialty? We are on a budget, so we won't be going to any of the specialty places. I'm not a picky eater, but I won't eat things like liver, etc., and I absolutely adore seafood (will likely eat it most meals, but I'm open to chicken, beef, and vegetarian dishes, as well). I don't like chicken that's on the bone or cottage cheese, and I like all vegetables except celery (unless it's cooked and in a stew or pot pie; I just don't like it raw or on its own). Any suggestions are helpful, and it doesn't matter if it's breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

On the "other places" do try International Cafe which is open 24/7 for something tasty wherever you wish! :D

That's on my to-try list. :-) I know the menus differ between breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but are the menus for each meal the same every day? What are some of your favorite things to eat from IC?

That's on my to-try list. :-) I know the menus differ between breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but are the menus for each meal the same every day? What are some of your favorite things to eat from IC?

Cashew chicken salad is good.

Chicken Korma is really good. You'll find it in the MDR &/or buffet for lunch or dinner. Lots of little extras to add to it.

I haven't had any fish dish in MDR or buffet that wasn't good. You should be in 7th heaven.

This is just my opinion and I am sure others we disagree. But the chefs on Princess tend to be Italian and I have found their Italian choices to be a step above what I would have expected. Likewise, many chefs on Carnival are Indian and their Indian food is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is just my opinion and I am sure others we disagree. But the chefs on Princess tend to be Italian and I have found their Italian choices to be a step above what I would have expected. Likewise, many chefs on Carnival are Indian and their Indian food is great.

Good to know! Thank you!

And do you recommend eating certain meals in certain areas? For example, I think we're planning to have all of our dinners in the main dining room, but I'm not sure about breakfast and lunch. Is the buffet or International Cafe - or somewhere else - a better option than the MDR for breakfast and lunch? Is there one in particular that has more options to choose from than the others?

That's a question without any real answer but here are a couple of my favorites. ;)

The Melanzane Parmigiana (eggplant) is one of my favorites as are nearly all of the nightly different pasta courses which I usually get as an appetizer size portion. I don't eat much fish & seafood at home but I greatly enjoy their fish & seafood options. I've had good Châteaubriand, Beef Wellington & beef medallions each time but sometimes steak & prime rib have varied.

Some evenings in the buffet they have a Mongolian BBQ to create your own Asian dish. Other than that we don't often eat in the buffet & prefer the IC for a lighter meal.

I rarely eat dessert at home & go on a cruise not wanting to eat them onboard. However I get weak & order dessert (particularly the Norman Love chocolate ones) and also their freshly made ice cream.

And do you recommend eating certain meals in certain areas? For example, I think we're planning to have all of our dinners in the main dining room, but I'm not sure about breakfast and lunch. Is the buffet or International Cafe - or somewhere else - a better option than the MDR for breakfast and lunch? Is there one in particular that has more options to choose from than the others?

Again really a personal choice. Once you cruise you tend to develop a cruising style. Some people like to party and sleep late. Others like us are in their room most nights by 10 and up with the sun. Some people like to grab food as they go. Others like us prefer to eat in MDR most of the time because I cook at home all the time and one of the great things about cruising is being waited on. If we do Lido, it's usually at lunch only because we are out and about; on sea days we spend a lot of time walking the ship, watching people, having a drink or seeing some demonstration and when we aren't we are relaxing on our balcony. Other people camp out on the adult deck or by a Lido bar and are in the sun all day.

We cruise to relax so MDR meals fit in well with that slower pace. Others who are poolside or on the go or want a quick bite tend to do Lido. The great thing is having the flexibility.

That's a question without any real answer but here are a couple of my favorites. ;)

The Melanzane Parmigiana (eggplant) is one of my favorites as are nearly all of the nightly different pasta courses which I usually get as an appetizer size portion. I don't eat much fish & seafood at home but I greatly enjoy their fish & seafood options. I've had good Châteaubriand, Beef Wellington & beef medallions each time but sometimes steak & prime rib have varied.

Some evenings in the buffet they have a Mongolian BBQ to create your own Asian dish. Other than that we don't often eat in the buffet & prefer the IC for a lighter meal.

I rarely eat dessert at home & go on a cruise not wanting to eat them onboard. However I get weak & order dessert (particularly the Norman Love chocolate ones) and also their freshly made ice cream.

I initially thought the Wellington sounded good, until I saw pictures of it and found that it tends to be cooked rare, and I don't like my meat cooked rare. That's one of the few things I'm picky about; red meat just grosses me out. I'm sure my friend I'm traveling with will get it, so if he does, I'll likely try some of his and order something else.

Again really a personal choice. Once you cruise you tend to develop a cruising style. Some people like to party and sleep late. Others like us are in their room most nights by 10 and up with the sun. Some people like to grab food as they go. Others like us prefer to eat in MDR most of the time because I cook at home all the time and one of the great things about cruising is being waited on. If we do Lido, it's usually at lunch only because we are out and about; on sea days we spend a lot of time walking the ship, watching people, having a drink or seeing some demonstration and when we aren't we are relaxing on our balcony. Other people camp out on the adult deck or by a Lido bar and are in the sun all day.

We cruise to relax so MDR meals fit in well with that slower pace. Others who are poolside or on the go or want a quick bite tend to do Lido. The great thing is having the flexibility.

This is our first cruise, so I don't know what our cruising style will be like. Guess we'll see! The funny thing is, my travel partner is a total morning person, and he's usually in bed by 10 every night and up by 5 every morning. I'm a light sleeper, so while I'm a night owl, I'll adjust to his schedule, like I had done on our past trips. Anyway, even though he goes to bed super early, I thought it was funny that he picked to dine at 8:30 every night! I think he really liked the idea of sitting at the same table with the same people every night, and the only time available for us to choose from was 8:30. I'm not too thrilled about the idea of going to bed on a full stomach, but, hey, we're on vacation, and it'll only be for a week, so it's not a big deal. But we have excursions set, and I know we're going to explore the ports we stop at, so we'll likely have lunch there those days (and some of our excursions include salmon bakes).

Usually, during the second pub lunch, they serve shrimp and chips (fries) ... so good!!

So far, the pub lunch has not incurred any extra charge ...hope it is still like that when you go.

I also love escargot ... not sure if Princess has the best I've had but it is decent. I love the lobster and shrimp dish on the last formal night.

I like the tuna sandwiches at the International Cafe but they do need extra pickles ... but that is easily rectified on a cruise. They will even make a panini out of your sandwich for you.

The pizza up by the pool is really good ... I mean really good!! It's the best I have ever had on a cruise.

At the Trident Grill up by the pool, they serve some fun dishes at dinner time. We were in Alaska and instead of going to dinner, we wanted to watch a movie up on deck and they were serving crab cakes and onion rings. I was a happy camper!! Sometimes, they have chicken wings or ribs ... fun food!! They have popcorn up there, too!

Now, I am not much of a foodie ... I just like things that taste good and really eat more salads and veggies than anything else (they even have grilled vegetables for breakfast, which I love, but those things I mention are my little splurges and tend to be popular with many passengers.

I initially thought the Wellington sounded good, until I saw pictures of it and found that it tends to be cooked rare, and I don't like my meat cooked rare. That's one of the few things I'm picky about; red meat just grosses me out. I'm sure my friend I'm traveling with will get it, so if he does, I'll likely try some of his and order something else.

Each time I've ordered it & requested medium-rare it was pink in the middle & not rare. With beef & other meats they ask how you want it served so you could probably request a medium or well done portion.

If it's not prepared to your liking, request a different portion because they want your food prepared as you like it. They want happy passengers & to correct any issues during our cruise. :)

Usually, during the second pub lunch, they serve shrimp and chips (fries) ... so good!!

So far, the pub lunch has not incurred any extra charge ...hope it is still like that when you go.

I also love escargot ... not sure if Princess has the best I've had but it is decent. I love the lobster and shrimp dish on the last formal night.

I like the tuna sandwiches at the International Cafe but they do need extra pickles ... but that is easily rectified on a cruise. They will even make a panini out of your sandwich for you.

The pizza up by the pool is really good ... I mean really good!! It's the best I have ever had on a cruise.

At the Trident Grill up by the pool, they serve some fun dishes at dinner time. We were in Alaska and instead of going to dinner, we wanted to watch a movie up on deck and they were serving crab cakes and onion rings. I was a happy camper!! Sometimes, they have chicken wings or ribs ... fun food!! They have popcorn up there, too!

Now, I am not much of a foodie ... I just like things that taste good and really eat more salads and veggies than anything else (they even have grilled vegetables for breakfast, which I love, but those things I mention are my little splurges and tend to be popular with many passengers.

Is the pub lunch in the pub, or in one of the dining rooms? I think Ruby has a pub... am not sure. Lol, tuna is another one of the few things I don't like. I love sushi/sashimi and tuna, but not the canned stuff that's mixed with mayo and celery. Yuck. The crab cakes sounds really good, though! Yum!

By the way, have they ever showed Titanic as the movie for any of the movie nights?

Each time I've ordered it & requested medium-rare it was pink in the middle & not rare. With beef & other meats they ask how you want it served so you could probably request a medium or well done portion.

If it's not prepared to your liking, request a different portion because they want your food prepared as you like it. They want happy passengers & to correct any issues during our cruise. :)

That's good to know. I didn't know if they prepared the Wellington to people's liking, since it appears to be one large roll. I figured they cooked it all at once, and everybody gets however it looks when it's done cooking.

That's good to know. I didn't know if they prepared the Wellington to people's liking, since it appears to be one large roll. I figured they cooked it all at once, and everybody gets however it looks when it's done cooking.

Like many things on a cruise...it doesn't hurt to ask about anything.

If not, there are many other tasty options on the menu. :)

Has anyone told you not to hesitate to order multiple appetizers or entrees even if you won't eat it all? That way you can try several things to see what you like!

I figured we could do that, but I don't like wasting food. That's why I'd prefer to dine in the buffet (so I could try small amounts of everything) except on formal nights, but my friend has his heart set on eating in the main dining room. I'm easy-going, so I don't care that much.

I figured we could do that, but I don't like wasting food. That's why I'd prefer to dine in the buffet (so I could try small amounts of everything) except on formal nights, but my friend has his heart set on eating in the main dining room. I'm easy-going, so I don't care that much.

The portions are smaller than your typical American oversized piles you find at most land restaurant...and because they are cooking in volume and not to order, you aren't wasting anything! Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I believe the leftovers become fish food and go right back to the earth.

Is the pub lunch in the pub, or in one of the dining rooms? I think Ruby has a pub... am not sure. Lol, tuna is another one of the few things I don't like. I love sushi/sashimi and tuna, but not the canned stuff that's mixed with mayo and celery. Yuck. The crab cakes sounds really good, though! Yum!

By the way, have they ever showed Titanic as the movie for any of the movie nights?

I've not been on the Ruby but have been on her sister ships. The pub lunch has always been in the Wheelhouse Bar or the Crown Grill and it has been held twice per a week long or 10 day cruise around noon.

I get that about canned tuna ... either you love it or you don't. I love it! I could just open a can for dinner and mix it up with mayo and celery ... I am happy, happy, happy! hahaha! Anyway, those sandwiches they have in the International Cafe are pretty good....their bread is just excellent! Heaven knows, I try to stay away from it but it gets me every time. And, those crab cakes were really good ... just not sure if it was offered while up in Alaska.

I am not sure if they've shown the Titanic on a cruise ... good question, though. It would be like showing 'Snakes on a Plane' during a cross country flight ... creepy! We watched The Martian while snacking on crab cakes ... this was just this past summer.