Panama Canal

kerrylarry

Sitting out on your balcony might be fine before and after going through the locks, but if you're sitting out there whilst actually going through the locks you're not going to see much more than a cement wall.

I would not worry about what side you are on.

I recommend viewing of the transit from various locations on the ship.

On the top deck where you can go from side to side and forward and back.

On a lower deck where you can see things from at least both sides of the ship.

Lots to see.

Keith

You definitely need to be OUT of the cabin or balcony to see all there is! There is stuff on both sides of the ship..and it looks entirely different from an upper deck to the lower promenade deck...get out there and ROAM!!!

"In the bow"? There really is no such thing.

Huh?

The bow /ˈbaʊ/ is the forward part of the hull of a ship or boat, the point that is usually most forward when the vessel is underway. Both of the adjectives fore and forward mean towards the bow. The other end of the boat is the stern

Is this incorrect information? I mean, I know your knowledge is vast, but "no such thing"?

Edited by champagne123

ok for the nit pickers

Get a forward facing cabin for a good view

If you cannot then just go up on the open decks & wander to different spots to see both sides of the canal

If you are doing a thru transit it will be an all day affair usually a stop in the Lake while other ships get through the locks

We had a cabin at the very stern of the ship. We still walked around and the bow is nice but this takes a full day and sitting on our our veranda for parts very close and relaxing.f5db6377a79c6d276a8b3287aef2b8ff.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had ocean view, not balcony cabins, on our two cruises to the Panama Canal. On Holland America, they opened areas at the bow of the ship not normally open to passengers. They served Panama buns, orange juice, and coffee. We watched going through the locks into Gatun Lake from there. On the way back out, we wandered around the ship more. I enjoyed seeing it from the Promenade Deck, upper decks, etc.

We had our first balcony and spent most of the day on it. I figured, you're going to be missing SOMETHING no matter where you are! We saw "all" to be seen from the starboard side (going Florida to California)... which is good because I will never book that side again. I thought WITHOUT LOOKING AT A MAP, that would put us on the northside in the shade, but I was WRONG because the canal does not go east-west!

If you want to spend any afternoon time on your own balcony, make it on the port-side if going from Atlantic to Pacific, and the starboard if going from Pacific to Atlantic, and if doing a partial, choose for the afternoon direction. Look at a close-up map to see what I mean.

Definitely on my fully-covered Holland America Line aft veranda with my own bathroom, complete shade, no competition for railing space, and my minibar on the other side of the veranda door.

Can't wait to have this view in October!!