Long Review Celebrity Solstice Round Trip Alaska 6/30-7/7

Disnyfan2

First of all, I want to thank all the members or Cruise Critic, this website was a great source of information for planning the travel arrangements and the excursions. Our cruise was a great success in that we got there safely and arrive home safely. It had been five years since our last cruise so the information we received here was very helpful.

We left Atlanta around 9:30 the night before and arrive in Seattle around midnight. We had plans to rent a car for the few hours we were in town to see some sights of downtown. We rented from Alamo which had the better deal and they were the only ones stating that they were 24 hours at the airport. Because of the hour, the line was a hour long. So if you have confirmation, use the kiosk. It wouldn’t work for us because it couldn’t read my driver license. We had already planned to spend the night in the rental car due to the fact that we were going to get a early start anyway. It was not too bad except for the guys replacing cars in the lot. It was like watching the Fast and the Furious, sounded like it too.

Our first stop was to the Biscuit Bitch Café on 3rd street. It is an eclectic place with interesting political posters and very nice people who did mind southern accents. Let me say the portions were huge. My mom and I could have shared a meal between us. The food was good but we ended up giving our doggie bag to one of the many homeless people standing about, and they were plentiful. It was very sad to see how many and how young some of them were.

About this time, Columbia center was opened. So we made a quick stop through Top Pot doughnuts. The variety was limited but I did end up with a bacon maple doughnut that was good. Since it was 8am, the viewing room at the top of the tower was empty and gave spectacular views. It towers over the space needle and we saw all the mountain ranges. The lady at the first desk could learn some courtesy but that didn’t impact our visit. They also have very clean bathrooms.

587c18d743d0becb6c54c231ae3f5343.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were off to Pioneer Square for our 10am Underground Tour. If you had a chance to take this tour, do it. It gave a great history of Seattle, the good and the bad. You got to see how things were at the time and our guide was very funny. He handled the adult subject matter with grace and most things went over the youngsters’ head. One of the buildings was being retrofitted so there were construction guys walking around while we b down there. I thought since we were going underground it would be chilly but it was a nice temperature down below. There is a “true” ghost picture at the end but I did not think it was all that spectacular. Would recommend this tour for everyone.

18271f70298e6b434730872f3bc3c01e.jpg

Back in the car, we got to experience downtown Seattle traffic. It was not so bad since we were headed only 3 blocks to the Target down the street. If you park here and spend $20, you get to park free for 2 hours.

It was a easy walk to Pike Place market from here. IT Was BUSY. Tourists, locals, traffic, it was all there. We saw a couple of guys throwing fish but people had to buy them first so it did not happen too frequent.

Our main objective was to get a couple of bottles of wine for the room and some bananas for Mom. We also went by the original Starbucks, did not go in due to the line being out the door. We went to two wines shops there. The La Buona Tavola let us sample as much as we wanted and we ended buying a nice riesling. The Pike and Western Wine shop barely acknowledge we were there. No help at all. So we went back and brought another bottle at the first place. The saleslady said that this was not an uncommon occurrence with them. We ended with a nice moscato which we enjoyed very much.

We turned in the rental car which was a few blocks away and they took us to port. I thought the embarkation would be a little more quiet because it was around 2 pm. It was still busy and we had to wait a while. Check-in was fast, talthough the counter person did not setup separate accounts for us. We had to do that later in the cruise. So were away. We were in a forward veranda cabin and met our room steward, Marivic as she was delivering our luggage. Can’t believe they make the stewards do this, I know our bags were heavy. Marivic was awesome. We tried to make her life easier by keeping our room clean throughout the cruise and she honored our every request. Even the crazy ones.

Muster was in the theater and was quick. They showed a video that seems to have been made for 5 year olds. WASH YOUR HANDS PEOPLE. We went to the spa because I wanted to get a Persian Garden pass and ended winning a 50 minute massage. I gave it to Mom and they allowed her to upgrade to the seaweed wrap she wanted. I was so glad we didn’t have to dress for dinner because with the day we had, it wasn’t about to happen. We met Ainullah and Gypso our first night and saw them most every night. Gypso was such a welcoming spirit at the end of the day. We were select dining and had made reservations for most nights.

The second day was a sea day. Since my primary reason for the cruise was a conference, I went to class for 7am. Mom went to go to a jewelry seminar that day and won a new watch, so I could not keep her out of the jewelry store. They knew her by name but the end of the cruise. After reading opinions on CC, I was a little concerned that I would not get enough time on the heated pedestals in the PG but I only had one time where I had to wait more than five minutes to get one. Most people were respectful of the 30 minute rule. They are addicting and for $100 I made sure I got time in everyday. Dinner that night was the first Evening Chic. Evening Chic meant different things for different people. We saw all types of styles of clothing. They only refuse people who were wearing shorts. So if you are not a person to dress up, no need to worry.

I like to try new things especially if they are already covered in the costs so we would order 3 appetizers if more than one would appeal to us. I ordered 2 desserts a couple of times. Our servers were not judgmental and brought meals out quickly. The service was good and by the end of the cruise, we were joking like old friends. I found out that you could not take food from the main dining room, so if you enjoy it, eat it then and there.

Since it was our first sea day, they had silent disco that night. It was so much fun. It was funny to watch everyone around you having a good time and watching them dance to either the same or different music. I could only do it for so long because I needed to get up early for class. Everyone should try this at least once.

4e645517274a364e15b516f5f001852b.jpg

Our first port was Ketchikan which we promptly arrive at 6:30. It was nice to see the town with the streets emptied. We were to meet our tour guide at 11am. So we went to the Tongass Trading Store. It was right off the dock. But there is a store downtown as well. If CC people weren’t talking about the $20 jackets, I wouldn’t not have believe the pricing that I saw. Got a nice sweatshirt and long sleeve shirt for $20. And they did come in handy for the rest of the trip. You can also get snacks and OTC drugs if you need them.

We met Tracy from Wild Wolf Tours at 10:45 for hour two hour hike and visit to Totem Bight. We met a lovely family who were from Mississippi and Columbus, OH so we exchanged stories. Now, I wasn’t very thrilled about going the Totem Bight but I found the quick tour very interesting. Tracy did a great job explaining the significance of the history and what the totems meant. And we got some great pictures of eagles actually in trees. Plus, it was right by the water. There were mosquitoes here so make sure you wear your repellant. The bathroom was more outhouse type but it was better than going outside. 2c887343ebe73c966ac4be7fbd545b2a.jpg. f9405f5f5cde0184f303e05bcfb35b71.jpgWe drove to where the road ended and started our hike. The trail was very well marked and would have been something I would have done on my own if I had known the area. It was easy and we got to appreciate the natural flora of the Alaskan rainforest. Being a rainforest, it poured the whole time we were out there. Hence a second trip to Tongass Store to get better raincoats. It was a easy walk and we had a lot of chances to take pictures. There was a time when Tracy got away from us but since the trail was well marked there were no worries. At the end, she gave us the option to go back to the ship or going to town. We choose a drop off at Creek Street and it was a easy, quick, wet trip back to the dock. That heated pedestal felt so good that afternoon.

The next day was supposed to be the Tracy Arm ford but we woke up to an icy Endicott Arm. There was so much ice that the captain thought it was safer to leave. Mom was worried this would be a Titanic situation. I told her the crew knew what they were doing. Her response “I bet that is what they said on the Titanic”. We got into Juneau early but our tour was not scheduled until 2:30. I don’t know of other cruiselines offer, Celebrity has a bus service that will take you from the dock to the Mt Roberts tram. It is $5 round trip and well worth it at the end of the day

97246d46cd97c4f3f25bc9dc8f6bebd1.jpgef96238fa7fbbdfb7744799b7ac30434.jpg

We had a whale watch/Mendelhall hike through Juneau Whale Watch. We were driven through town and given a brief tour. We met our guides on the boat and were on the way. This is one of the few days we had sun so the trip was beautiful. No surprise that the small boats talk to each other so the whales were easy to find. The humpbacks were not being too sociable but present. 1cdb6055f8c43dbb002368a2d4f9647a.jpgBut, 10 minutes into our tour, the captain got word that orcas were in the area so we spent the rest of the time chasing orcas trying to get away from us. 88cf2510bb7c623e3a81a3794bc4bda8.jpgOur tour guides were college kids working for the summer but the were knowledgable and answered questions with ease.

The second half we were dropped off at Mendenhall Glacier Park for 90 minutes. We did have enough time for a pit stop and hike to Nugget Falls. The falls were in full force but unfortunately no caving from the glacier. We made a quick trip through photo point and through the Trail of Time before making the last bus out of the park. At that same time, it began to pour rain. Again. We were treated to great fireworks displays on the way out of town being July 3rd.

56f3960cfc7a0731c19f014e86f5374e.jpg25fcf1a1517843aa516641ba8bbc8c28.jpg

Our last Alaskan day was Skayway. The White Pass Train Ride through Chilkoot Tours. This was the one excursion I was really looking forward to. We woke to rain. Again. It made the ride more mysterious looking and cold. We had only about 15 people in our car so we could spread out and move around easily. The scenery was so beautiful even with the low lying clouds. The ride was fun and standing on the outside of the car was thrilling and cold. Things got serious when coming to the Canadian border. The conductor was instructing everyone to be still and not make sudden movements and put cameras away and to make sure we had our passports out to the photo page. I thought I was gearing up for a pat down. The border agents came in and were all smiles and ask how was everybody doing and were good looking. I would take that any day. Afterwards, we continued on our journey to Lake Bennet. There was a film on how the miners live and small exhibit of what they had to bring through on the pass. d5cbe068f67603116079f9ac02525b7a.jpg9e75b83ebc4cd30ecdfcc99d6c1180ac.jpgec39c0e0951a11217979e1064542cb67.jpg

There was a neat church to photographed and more on the history of the area. After we got back on the train, the stove was welcoming and was a great way to dry coats and gloves while they served lunch. The food was okay, turkey sandwich that was enough to get by for the day. The trip around Lake Bennett was long. If I didn’t think I would have missed something, I would have taken a nap. bbd84988cdfff9a3208f727d502ec119.jpg1cd47c52f72c2fae5394c35a188dbd5b.jpgd094713cbd4d8cd356484a27e68ca836.jpg

We finally made it to Carcoss. The general store was busy and the prices were too high. I know every other website states to stamp your passport outside the general store. But, the visitors center across the tracks, will stamp your passport for you and it looks way more official with an actual date.

We opted to take the bus back. So we got to take pictures of Carcoss dessert and Emerald lake. The bus ride back was not as thrilling but the scenery was just as beautiful. But, by this time we exhausted. Most people just slept except when it was time to takes pictures. 9ba34f0759e5054962502abccfea6ae1.jpg441ec22de6873de737e2f3d3b68564be.jpg

I have one thing to say about US Border Patrol. Now the Canadians check everyone coming across on the train. On the bus back, they waved the whole bus through without checking anyone. We could have brought any and everything back with us.

We got back to town in time to walk around. Despite it being July 4th, all the shops were opened. It was a long walk back to the boat and another trip to the PG was in ordered.

The next day was a sea day and I looking forward to getting some rest on my vacation. The day was uneventful except for the second evening chic night and silent disco again. I was finally brave enough to ordered the escargot. It took me a good 2 minutes to actually eat one. Mom had one as well and we can check that off the bucket list. The only “show” we saw was the The Liars Club with the cruise director “Brian” , cruise activity coordinator “Kristine” and the captain, Captain Tasos. This was a riot. I laughed so hard at one point, it hurt. If you had a chance to see this, go. My stomach hurt so bad, I was laughing so hard. Captain Tasos was so hysterically humorous that you look forward to his announcements every morning.

Our last day was Victoria. The day started good. We had our last day of class and saw plenty of whales that day. We both had facials which Mom is still raving about the nap she had. Mom won bingo that day so she was happy. We had great weather. Our tour was to Butchart Gardens with CVS tours. Our tour guide gave some great information on Victoria that it made me want to live there. Butchart was so beautiful. It seemed busy we were first got there, because the whole ship had excursions there. We started in the back first and but the time we got to the Sunken Garden, hardly anyone was there. The arrangements were amazing. Pictures do not do it justice. I would love to visit again when we had more time. 31d678f9543d8710d5ad9516b02258a7.jpg8633567bb475fa054e14ac3179a1141e.jpg534fa817cdf48a7ad3f9657c777f4354.jpg681014139b7ccc68d71f5faba991d61a.jpg

The last night. The buffet at 10:30 was a zoo. I wished the main dining room was still open.

Our vacation had come to an end. I finally got a chance to have a main dining room breakfast but did not find the food much different than what it was in the buffet. It was nice to see Ainullah and Gypso one more time to give them their tips and to thank them. Our MaitreD was there as well and she would recognized us out of all the people on the ship and tried to get us with the same people when she could. I wished I had gotten her name.

We had one finally tour. We chose the Celebrity’s Space Needle and Chilhuly experience. The space needle felt touristy and we did not stay long. It was neat to see how it was constructed. Chilhuly was dazzling. We saw an exhibit in Atlanta last fall so the visit to his museum was a must. It did not disappoint.

fe8a34b47fbdb8ade0742b204e11dc59.jpgf207d201f0902350cdf264d1de537f5e.jpg2baf10e5b965e1fb9a0a55505fe535ca.jpgd2899c151cb2997ce20b4376a6721b16.jpg

We were dropped off at the airport. Security was a breeze despite the airlines losing my TSA info. Its line was longer than regular security, so I would recommend checking to see which is shortest

Final observations:

Columbia Tower was less touristy and had better vantage points than then Space Needle.

The best area we saw whales was the Strait of Juan de Fuca going into Victoria.

Don’t be afraid to order multiple things at dinner. They were no judgements at all.

On the White Pass Train, left going up, left going down for the more scenic ride.

I read somewhere that the room storage would be limited. We had plenty. No need for over the door hangers.

Unless you are afraid of the dark. No need for a night light. The light of the ship kept the room lit because we kept the curtains open. Unless you are a light sleeper the bathroom light is not bothersome.

I read somewhere that they don’t have bananas on cruises, they did on this one.

The public restroom stall are very private and clean, especially by the fancy restaurants.

I read here about hospital-grade Clorox wipes. They did smell very bleachy but left a large amount of residue everywhere we used them, including the airplane tv screens. I would skip them. Would still wipe down surfaces in the room but regular wipes would probably do.

It pays to tip your room steward ahead of time. I cannot tell you what she did. But, it made a great difference for the rest of the cruise and she tried to fulfill any need we had. She made our cruise much more comfortable. And did not removed our extra six blankets we had to sit on the balcony. It was very cold and windy out there.

The port of Seattle is offering a luggage service to guests to check your bag through to your final destination. With No Over The Weight Fees. This was most helpful on the final night.

I do think we over-tipped some people. Most of our guides thought we were very generous. So either they don’t get a lot of tips and maybe one should stick to $10-$20.

Because I was in class part of the days, I tried to do too much. I was more exhausted than when I left. The prizes in trivia are trivial so if you have something else you want to do instead, do it. There are 200 people playing bingo so your chances are slim, although Mom did win. If you really want to do something, go for it. The ladies in the spa had there noses in the air when we ask for the tour. But, I knew I wanted to experience the Persian Garden and found it to be one of the more enjoyable parts of my trip. So don’t let people’s attitudes get to you. d12e11c534548a30b1b09bf5c0779623.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Final observations:

Columbia Tower was less touristy and had better vantage points than then Space Needle.

The best area we saw whales was the Strait of Juan de Fuca going into Victoria.

Don’t be afraid to order multiple things at dinner. They were no judgements at all.

On the White Pass Train, left going up, left going down for the more scenic ride.

I read somewhere that the room storage would be limited. We had plenty. No need for over the door hangers.

Unless you are afraid of the dark. No need for a night light. The light of the ship kept the room lit because we kept the curtains open. Unless you are a light sleeper the bathroom light is not bothersome.

I read somewhere that they don’t have bananas on cruises, they did on this one.

The public restroom stall are very private and clean, especially by the fancy restaurants.

I read here about hospital-grade Clorox wipes. They did smell very bleachy but left a large amount of residue everywhere we used them, including the airplane tv screens. I would skip them. Would still wipe down surfaces in the room but regular wipes would probably do.

It pays to tip your room steward ahead of time. I cannot tell you what she did. But, it made a great difference for the rest of the cruise and she tried to fulfill any need we had. She made our cruise much more comfortable. And did not removed our extra six blankets we had to sit on the balcony. It was very cold and windy out there.

The port of Seattle is offering a luggage service to guests to check your bag through to your final destination. With No Over The Weight Fees. This was most helpful on the final night.

I do think we over-tipped some people. Most of our guides thought we were very generous. So either they don’t get a lot of tips and maybe one should stick to $10-$20.

Because I was in class part of the days, I tried to do too much. I was more exhausted than when I left. The prizes in trivia are trivial so if you have something else you want to do instead, do it. There are 200 people playing bingo so your chances are slim, although Mom did win. If you really want to do something, go for it. The ladies in the spa had there noses in the air when we ask for the tour. But, I knew I wanted to experience the Persian Garden and found it to be one of the more enjoyable parts of my trip. So don’t let people’s attitudes get to you. d12e11c534548a30b1b09bf5c0779623.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums[/