Where is this Port?

Bumper7

Fairly certain that it is not the Queen Mary. The forward funnel on QM would be visible from the angle of the picture and it is not. Also the bridge looks totally different and the row of windows (above the top most row of portholes) is not the same.

Not sure the Queen Mary ever had a white or gray hull. But if you post it on the Cunard board here, if it is one of the Queens, someone there will probably know. EM

No, I don't think that is RMS Queen Mary - not a great picture, but I think there are differences in the superstructure.

But she had a grey period.

Painted grey during the war years, when she was the world's biggest & fastest troopship, ferrying North American troops across the Atlantic. That earned her the nickname "the grey ghost".

Don't think she went anywhere near Tripoli during that time.

I'm intrigued why the OP has posted? :confused:

JB :)

Certainly not the Queen Mary - the port wing of her bridge should have been one or two decks higher - with vertical structure supporting it. The Mercedes race car being off-loaded looks like a late '40's - as does the left hand drive on the pier- would they fit in with Tripoli when a liner was still in wartime gray? I do not think so.

Certainly not the Queen Mary - the port wing of her bridge should have been one or two decks higher - with vertical structure supporting it. The Mercedes race car being off-loaded looks like a late '40's - as does the left hand drive on the pier- would they fit in with Tripoli when a liner was still in wartime gray? I do not think so.

Indeed a Merc. - a Silver Arrow of the mid-late 'thirties.

And they did race in Tripoli in the '30s, so the photo could have been taken there.

That same photo here on a Silver Arrow website.

Together with another showing more of that ship.

Anyone still think it's Queen Mary? :D

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/mercedesbenzrg/mercedes-benz-silver-arrows/?lp=true

Sherlock Holmes :)

Very interesting photo. Pre-WW2 Mercedes Grand Prix car being loaded for a race outside of Europe, and Tripoli was one of those places, At first I thot the big ship was RMS Brittanic, the sistership of Titanic which was sunk off of the Greek Island of Kea, but no. It remains a mystery. The battle cruiser in the back ground also very interesting, especially if it is a German port.