Pearl to Alaska (almost live) July 16 2017

troyphoto

NOTE: I was going to do a live blog, but the internet gremlins on the Pearl wouldn't load Cruise Critic. Rather than waste my precious internet minutes watching a site not load, I decided to do an Almost Live Blog. I'll try to post once a day this week, even though I got off the ship today. I still have a bunch of images to edit, and recaps to write up. Just pretend I'm still on the ship, and we'll all have fun with the thread.

Below is the story of how we almost missed the ship on day 1. Enjoy!

---------

The apartment was locked up tight. We’d made the sure that Loko Kitty had his buddy Maggie, our infamous pet sitter, locked and loaded for a week of excitement. Mail was stopped for a week. We were ready for vacation to begin.

Day1-002-L.jpg

This was a special vacation for us. Wife has been blessed (or cursed, take your pick) with me for 30 years of wedded… well… we’ll say bliss. At least on my end. She’s probably cussed quite a few times in regret for marrying a journalist/photographer. But, she’s put up with me for this long. She deserves a cruise. Alaska beckoned us for this milestone.

I tapped the Lyft app at 5:15 am on Sunday. Within five minutes, our Lyft driver, Valerie was in front of our building. Two suitcases and two people went into her grey Hyundai (Loko Kitty stayed behind), and our vacation had begun. Or, so we thought.

This wasn’t usual for us. We’ve been firm believers in leaving a day early, and staying overnight in a hotel, then getting a ride to the port the morning of the cruise. Wise ideas when one lives where inclement weather can shut down airports.

But, this time, we were going from Los Angeles to Seattle. As long as a Typhoon didn’t blow in unexpectedly, or Mount Olympus didn’t erupt, we’d be fine.

Right?

Within a few minutes of being on the road the morning of our cruise, my wife’s phone buzzed. Delta Air was telling us that our flight was ahead of schedule, and we’d be into Seattle by 10:30 that morning. We already had our NCL transfers set up. The big bus from NCL would meet us at Seattle Airport and whisk us away to our eagerly anticipated vacation.

Getting through the line at the terminal, and seeing the ever-exciting WASHY-WASHY crew was almost upon us. Sneaking past the photographers and trying not to get our photo taken (9 cruises, haven’t bought a photo yet).

Day1-008-L.jpg

A few minutes later, wife’s phone buzzed again. That buzz signaled anxiety and the beginnings of what looked like a severe bout of depression.

Our flight was delayed two hours past the original time.

And thus, began a morning of nightmares.

Checking in with the Delta folks, the only flights left to get to Seattle earlier would only shave a mere 10 minutes off our already delayed arrival time. And, we’d be on stand-by for the new flight. Not good. Who know where our luggage would go, if we went on one plane, but the bags were on the other? A week at sea with just the clothes on our backs?

After a leisurely breakfast of hotcakes, bacon and big side of worry we decided to start making some calls. I did the math, and realized that we wouldn’t be arriving in time to catch our NCL Shuttle to the ship.

A quick call to NCL got our panic kicked into high gear. The agent at NCL HQ confirmed that not only were we arriving too late to catch the NCL shuttle, she also said that we needed to make the port by 2 pm, because the ship was scheduled to sail at 4. Eeep! NO week of hearing WASHY-WASHY! OH CRAP!

I called my awesome travel agent. He began his own string of phone calls. He confirmed with NCL that we’d miss our shuttle, and, because we had not booked our Airfare through NCL, we’d get no refund of the fees. I suspect that the price differences in what we can book air for vs what NCL would book for us would make up for the $44 (2 people) shuttle fees.

Now, however, we’re in panic mode. What if they won’t let us into the terminal. Will we ever see the Washy-Washy crew? How will we be able to try to sneak past the Green Screen Photofroggers? What about our glass of sparkling bubbly as we ascend the gangway into our home away from home? Will life go on without experiencing the Sardine Drill (AKA Safety Briefing)?

Fortunately, we had travel buddies who were on a different flight out of different airport. Unfortunately, this was their first ever cruise. We wanted to meet up with them and help guild them through the new adventure. Now, they were adrift on their own to navigate the friendly attitudes of NCL’s embarkation program. At least we knew they’d get a good vacation.

Sitting at the airport, Wife and I debated several times: go to Seattle on the delayed flight, try our best to make the ship – or throw in the towel, and head back to the land of work and drudgery for our 30th Anniversary? Our Travel Agent was firm that we continue and give it the Old College Try to get on board.

Wife was biting back nerves the entire flight. The captain let us know after the shut the door, that the earlier flight had a mechanical problem. Delta did the right thing and pulled the plane. LAX didn’t have a spare on hand, so a crew had to fly in an empty plane from another airport. That was the delay.

We both tried to keep our nerves under control at 3,600 feet as we sat in row 27 or the replacement aircraft. I loaded up on Cuban Jazz. Wife found her own music and tried to get lost in a library book. We landed at just after 1 pm in Seattle. Wife and I had our phones back on immediately upon landing. She exhaled heavily with a smile creeping into her cheeks.

Day1-007-L.jpg

Travel buddies were on the ship in my favorite spot in the Great Outdoors. They’d been asking the gate agents, as well as the folks at the Pearl’s front desk. They were told that customs/security usually didn’t close the departure terminal until after 3. We could make it! Maybe.

After we got our bags, and negotiated Seattle Airport’s confusion of where to find a taxi (level 3 of the parking garage… but the skyway takes you to level 4), we hopped into a Prius with our Pakistani driver. His eyes got wide when I told him to head to the cruise terminal. He knew we were cutting it close.

Once he learned we were natives of Indianapolis, despite our recent transplant to the West Coast, he found his inner Mario Andretti. The supposed 45-minute commute to the port seemed to be flying by as he pushed the Prius as though he were running his qualification laps for the big race.

And then, we found the drawbridge. The other side was already up… The gates were down on our side. “Mario” had to stop. We watched the bridge rise. About minutes later, it began to drop. Once the gat was up, “Mario” came out of the pits strong and had his race face back on. We passed the Ferris wheel as he hit the exit ramp from the freeway, and there, along the port’s shoreline. We spied her. Our destination. Vacation Joy! THE PEARL!

Day1-015-L.jpg

A few twists and turns through Seattle’s port district and we could see the ship close up… on the other side of the slowly … moving … freight … train… I didn’t want to try to jump between the train cars, so getting out on foot wasn’t an option.

Mario looked back at me.

“Your call boss. We can wait on train, or I know another way. It goes slow, but we’d be moving.”

Keep moving, I told him.

We crept our way through the through the tourist section around the markets, but he got us to the other side. I passed the credit card and a Twenty his way for a job well done.

We jay-ran across the street from where he pulled up. One of the NCL Cruise ladies smiled and waved us in.

“Hope we’re not the last ones?” I said.

“Probably not, there’s still time.

We made it in, showed out boarding docs and passports and were waved into a security line.

My wife almost lost it.

We found the trainee running the x-ray scanner. With my computer, camera, and other vacation gadgets, I expected to be the one they found problems with.

Nope. New girl on the scanner, must have been her first day tried to figure out what that thing in wife’s suit case was. Turned out it was my camera, in the bin before her suitcase.

Ok… gotta keep moving… we don’t have our key cards. No washy-washy stewards and their squirt bottles. Come’on… We gotta MOVE IT!

Wait… trainee girl says. What’s that metal stuff in wife’s suit case?

Turns out, she has large metal buckles on her dressy flat shoes.

Whew… we’re through! Through the hallways, get our medical check off forms… We’re next to get up to the counter, get our ID photos taken and get our key cards. Finally!

And the guy in the ship’s white uniform behind the check in agents starts folding computers and searching them as each agent clears the passenger in front of them.

What about us! Hello!!!!! We’re right here… There are two other families behind us in line.

Took another five minutes or so, but the guy in white uniform let an agent keep her computer open. Whew!

Day1-008-L.jpg

Once we had our key cards in hand, only one thing lay between us and bliss of our first Washy-Washy experience. The long trek to the gangway.

As we wound our way through the terminal, following signs past the empty waiting area, where our travel buddies had gotten their group number, their cup of juice or water, past the empty spot where the photofroggers had long since dropped their green screen, we charged up the empty metal maze of the gangway.

But no Washy-Washy guys.

We handed our cards the security guys, got swiped and were officially on vacation.

Just in time for the lifeboat drill.

Here’s a pic of me right after that in my happy place.

Day1-016-L.jpg

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m gonna go find a washy-washy steward to get this vacation officially started.

Whew, nice but rocky start to sail Alaska - hoping you get better weather & not rain all week long ... but, I trust you've packed accordingly, in case it shower on you (gift shops are nearby, across the street from the docks)

So, NCL hasn't upgraded to faster/better satellite on the Pearl this summer ... yet ! If and when you get a chance, post-cruise is fine, kindly update what are the "current" WiFi/internet plan options offered onboard.

Bon Voyage !

(Current Post-Cruise post)

I'm technically off the ship now. I just figured I'd do a one a day blog post of a recap. Tonight (Sunday) we're in Seattle. Flying back to LA tomorrow (Monday) - We Hope!

The internet plans on the ship matched what I saw on the NCL pre-purchase page on their website.

(Current Post-Cruise post)

I'm technically off the ship now. I just figured I'd do a one a day blog post of a recap. Tonight (Sunday) we're in Seattle. Flying back to LA tomorrow (Monday) - We Hope!

The internet plans on the ship matched what I saw on the NCL pre-purchase page on their website.

Oops, mine bad - wasn't paying attention to the cruise date ranges. Thanks for the "update" on internet ... we're booked on the Breakaway (again) and now in double digits ... internet options is blank for us (not that we plan to purchase extras, got 250 minutes + 60 minutes to use, more than adequate for us.)

I remember the real good & old days - when United had hourly B737 shuttles between LAX and SFO, just past security with decent # of flights to/from SEA too - not anymore. Let's hope DL get you back to LAX tomorrow with minimal fuss.

Not quite a thriller for the rest of the cruise. Here's a quick recap of the rest of day 1 and our sea day:

DAYS 1 & 2

The rest of Embarkation day went smoothly. We used our unlimited beverage cards in the Great Outdoors. Wife got a rum punch, and I had my first glass of wine.

Day1-017-M.jpg

We sat out on the aft deck for the sail-away, until we decided to change for dinner. Travel Buddy 1 shifted into slacks with his aloha shirt. I added my khakis. The ladies did whatever ladies do to prepare for dinner, and off to the Summer Palace.

We educated Travel Buddies on the napkin game. Trying to get seated at the table, and put the napkin on your laps before the waiters have a chance to grab them and drape them for you. They only forgot a few times. Fortunately, the ladies got the attention first, so we gents always had a reminder if one of the ladies forgot her napkin. As soon as we saw the waiter reach for the napkin, give it bit of wave as the let it unfold then draped it across one of our wife’s laps, we would remember and get our own napkins in place. We’re smart like that.

Day-2-2-M.jpg

Wife found her favorite: Waffles with Banana Compote for breakfast

Travel buddies were impressed with service and the variety and quality of food (with one exception – not bad, just not how they make it – later in the cruise). Although he was tempted, Travel Buddy 1 never actually ordered two desserts.

They had already explored the ship, so we didn’t have to worry about showing them the ins and outs. But, as we wandered the decks after dinner, we pointed out how the three staircases are coded: With different colors on the carpet, as well as different artwork. Eventually, we ended up in the shops, where Travel Buddy 2 had to get a new visor. That meant we got to spend some time shopping, tasting liquor, and looking at coffee cups. Wife doesn’t let me buy many coffee cups now that we moved from a spacious Midwest home, into a west coast LA tiny apartment. I’m not allowed to add a coffee mug to the collection unless it is super special, ultra-cool, type. Moose mugs from Alaska would have counted under the old system, but not with the new “No Room in LA apartment” system.

Day-2-4-M.jpg

Hummus for appetizers in Summer Palace

We finally ended up in Spinnaker for Music with Energy Plus, the ship’s party band. Good musicians and worth a listen.

I’ll have more on this later, but the theme for me on this cruise was “too loud.” The audio levels across the ship were all just an extra bump too loud. Some of the vocals up in Spinnaker got muffled because of the volume.

But, a good time was had by all. We hung around Spinnaker for the Welcome Aboard Party with our assistant CD, Celso (“Selso”). Travel Buddy 2 and my wife hit the dance floor. Travel Buddy 1 and I are the type of people that can’t hear the beat.

Day-2-5-M.jpg

Oh, Look! More Food!

Seriously. While we might be able to tap our food if there is an extra loud drum or bass beat, if there are any other notes, we go off on tangents and lose the beat. The CD staff tried their best to get us up. Finally, the wives had to tell them “Those two, they’re not allowed to dance!” Still, one of the CD girls kept trying to get us up the rest of the cruise. She would accept the first “no thanks,” but she felt she needed to ask.

There are three types of people on the dance floor:

-People who like to dance

-People who think they know how to dance

-People who just want to be out with the others dancing.

There are two types of non-dancers:

- Those waiting for encouragement (the wallflowers)

- People like Travel Buddy 1 and I…

If we tried, we wouldn’t enjoy it. We know. We’ve been forced to try often enough. When our brains and our feet don’t follow the music, and we know we’re way off, the disappointment sets in. So, thanks for being inclusive CD staff, but we’re content to just sit here and enjoy watching our wives get their grooves on. We’ll watch their purses, and order a few drinks. Trust me, we’ll enjoy that far more than trying to wiggle the wrong way on the dance floor.

Day-2-6-M.jpg

And a towel-buddy for us!

The next night (sea day) found us back in Spinnaker for the evening. (typical sea day occurrences occurred before that… Breakfast, walking the deck, Lunch, napping, Snacks in the GO, more Napping or walking, and supper).

The Not So Newlywed game show was the usual highlight of the cruise. Names were drawn for the first two couples, and then to make sure that the real newlyweds, complete with bridal gown and suit, got into the game, the CDs asked for volunteers … about 8 couples rushed the dance floor. Each had to show their romance with a passionate kiss. Audience noise would select the winner and occupants of the third set of chairs.

Should be an easy win for the new bride and groom. Right?

But they didn’t count on a couple I’ll call “The Fireworks”

Mr. and Mrs. Fireworks were a feisty older couple. Married well over 4 decades, they came to the floor with Mrs. F’s rolling walker. Mr. F looked pretty fit, but it was his wife that was the friskiest.

The poor newlywed bride never stood a chance against her. The crowd noise was overwhelming for the Fireworks couple. So, Jasper the CD and host of the show made an executive decision and added a fourth set of chairs to include both Mr. and Mrs. Fireworks as well as the Newlyweds.

I wish I could remember all of the questions and answers. Let’s just say that our favorite couple lived up to their name in all but one question. Evidently, their first night in bed on the ship was more like sleeping with the dead than like the Fourth of July!

Following the game show, we stayed in Spinnaker and watched our wives dance some more.

That seemed to be our theme for the cruise. Laugh, listen, and watch our wives dance. A good time was had by all.

Day-2-8-M.jpg

Crew keeping our Great Outdoors (my favorite spot on the ship) nice and clean.

" the three staircases are coded: With different colors on the carpet, as well as different artwork "

Could someone elaborate about the stairs?

I actually only took one stairway photo this time (I'll look again and see if I might have one or two tucked away in the 1200 images I took.)

The MID ship staircase usually has a light teal (aqua blue-ish) color - and the artwork on the in-between floor landings are all paintings (prints of).

The FORE staircase (IIRC had purple carpet on the landings ????) and Animal photos on the in-between floor landings.

The AFT has photos of places/architecture (there's a construction photo of the Pearl on one landing) and IIRC more purple on the carpet.

Also, in the hallways outside the staterooms, there are fish on the carpet. All the fish (except the red rebellious fish) swim toward the FRONT of the boat.

NOTE: I was going to do a live blog, but the internet gremlins on the Pearl wouldn't load Cruise Critic. Rather than waste my precious internet minutes watching a site not load, I decided to do an Almost Live Blog. I'll try to post once a day this week, even though I got off the ship today. I still have a bunch of images to edit, and recaps to write up. Just pretend I'm still on the ship, and we'll all have fun with the thread.

Below is the story of how we almost missed the ship on day 1. Enjoy!

---------

The apartment was locked up tight. We’d made the sure that Loko Kitty had his buddy Maggie, our infamous pet sitter, locked and loaded for a week of excitement. Mail was stopped for a week. We were ready for vacation to begin.

Day1-002-L.jpg

This was a special vacation for us. Wife has been blessed (or cursed, take your pick) with me for 30 years of wedded… well… we’ll say bliss. At least on my end. She’s probably cussed quite a few times in regret for marrying a journalist/photographer. But, she’s put up with me for this long. She deserves a cruise. Alaska beckoned us for this milestone.

I tapped the Lyft app at 5:15 am on Sunday. Within five minutes, our Lyft driver, Valerie was in front of our building. Two suitcases and two people went into her grey Hyundai (Loko Kitty stayed behind), and our vacation had begun. Or, so we thought.

This wasn’t usual for us. We’ve been firm believers in leaving a day early, and staying overnight in a hotel, then getting a ride to the port the morning of the cruise. Wise ideas when one lives where inclement weather can shut down airports.

But, this time, we were going from Los Angeles to Seattle. As long as a Typhoon didn’t blow in unexpectedly, or Mount Olympus didn’t erupt, we’d be fine.

Right?

Within a few minutes of being on the road the morning of our cruise, my wife’s phone buzzed. Delta Air was telling us that our flight was ahead of schedule, and we’d be into Seattle by 10:30 that morning. We already had our NCL transfers set up. The big bus from NCL would meet us at Seattle Airport and whisk us away to our eagerly anticipated vacation.

Getting through the line at the terminal, and seeing the ever-exciting WASHY-WASHY crew was almost upon us. Sneaking past the photographers and trying not to get our photo taken (9 cruises, haven’t bought a photo yet).

Day1-008-L.jpg

A few minutes later, wife’s phone buzzed again. That buzz signaled anxiety and the beginnings of what looked like a severe bout of depression.

Our flight was delayed two hours past the original time.

And thus, began a morning of nightmares.

Checking in with the Delta folks, the only flights left to get to Seattle earlier would only shave a mere 10 minutes off our already delayed arrival time. And, we’d be on stand-by for the new flight. Not good. Who know where our luggage would go, if we went on one plane, but the bags were on the other? A week at sea with just the clothes on our backs?

After a leisurely breakfast of hotcakes, bacon and big side of worry we decided to start making some calls. I did the math, and realized that we wouldn’t be arriving in time to catch our NCL Shuttle to the ship.

A quick call to NCL got our panic kicked into high gear. The agent at NCL HQ confirmed that not only were we arriving too late to catch the NCL shuttle, she also said that we needed to make the port by 2 pm, because the ship was scheduled to sail at 4. Eeep! NO week of hearing WASHY-WASHY! OH CRAP!

I called my awesome travel agent. He began his own string of phone calls. He confirmed with NCL that we’d miss our shuttle, and, because we had not booked our Airfare through NCL, we’d get no refund of the fees. I suspect that the price differences in what we can book air for vs what NCL would book for us would make up for the $44 (2 people) shuttle fees.

Now, however, we’re in panic mode. What if they won’t let us into the terminal. Will we ever see the Washy-Washy crew? How will we be able to try to sneak past the Green Screen Photofroggers? What about our glass of sparkling bubbly as we ascend the gangway into our home away from home? Will life go on without experiencing the Sardine Drill (AKA Safety Briefing)?

Fortunately, we had travel buddies who were on a different flight out of different airport. Unfortunately, this was their first ever cruise. We wanted to meet up with them and help guild them through the new adventure. Now, they were adrift on their own to navigate the friendly attitudes of NCL’s embarkation program. At least we knew they’d get a good vacation.

Sitting at the airport, Wife and I debated several times: go to Seattle on the delayed flight, try our best to make the ship – or throw in the towel, and head back to the land of work and drudgery for our 30th Anniversary? Our Travel Agent was firm that we continue and give it the Old College Try to get on board.

Wife was biting back nerves the entire flight. The captain let us know after the shut the door, that the earlier flight had a mechanical problem. Delta did the right thing and pulled the plane. LAX didn’t have a spare on hand, so a crew had to fly in an empty plane from another airport. That was the delay.

We both tried to keep our nerves under control at 3,600 feet as we sat in row 27 or the replacement aircraft. I loaded up on Cuban Jazz. Wife found her own music and tried to get lost in a library book. We landed at just after 1 pm in Seattle. Wife and I had our phones back on immediately upon landing. She exhaled heavily with a smile creeping into her cheeks.

Day1-007-L.jpg

Travel buddies were on the ship in my favorite spot in the Great Outdoors. They’d been asking the gate agents, as well as the folks at the Pearl’s front desk. They were told that customs/security usually didn’t close the departure terminal until after 3. We could make it! Maybe.

After we got our bags, and negotiated Seattle Airport’s confusion of where to find a taxi (level 3 of the parking garage… but the skyway takes you to level 4), we hopped into a Prius with our Pakistani driver. His eyes got wide when I told him to head to the cruise terminal. He knew we were cutting it close.

Once he learned we were natives of Indianapolis, despite our recent transplant to the West Coast, he found his inner Mario Andretti. The supposed 45-minute commute to the port seemed to be flying by as he pushed the Prius as though he were running his qualification laps for the big race.

And then, we found the drawbridge. The other side was already up… The gates were down on our side. “Mario” had to stop. We watched the bridge rise. About minutes later, it began to drop. Once the gat was up, “Mario” came out of the pits strong and had his race face back on. We passed the Ferris wheel as he hit the exit ramp from the freeway, and there, along the port’s shoreline. We spied her. Our destination. Vacation Joy! THE PEARL!

Day1-015-L.jpg

A few twists and turns through Seattle’s port district and we could see the ship close up… on the other side of the slowly … moving … freight … train… I didn’t want to try to jump between the train cars, so getting out on foot wasn’t an option.

Mario looked back at me.

“Your call boss. We can wait on train, or I know another way. It goes slow, but we’d be moving.”

Keep moving, I told him.

We crept our way through the through the tourist section around the markets, but he got us to the other side. I passed the credit card and a Twenty his way for a job well done.

We jay-ran across the street from where he pulled up. One of the NCL Cruise ladies smiled and waved us in.

“Hope we’re not the last ones?” I said.

“Probably not, there’s still time.

We made it in, showed out boarding docs and passports and were waved into a security line.

My wife almost lost it.

We found the trainee running the x-ray scanner. With my computer, camera, and other vacation gadgets, I expected to be the one they found problems with.

Nope. New girl on the scanner, must have been her first day tried to figure out what that thing in wife’s suit case was. Turned out it was my camera, in the bin before her suitcase.

Ok… gotta keep moving… we don’t have our key cards. No washy-washy stewards and their squirt bottles. Come’on… We gotta MOVE IT!

Wait… trainee girl says. What’s that metal stuff in wife’s suit case?

Turns out, she has large metal buckles on her dressy flat shoes.

Whew… we’re through! Through the hallways, get our medical check off forms… We’re next to get up to the counter, get our ID photos taken and get our key cards. Finally!

And the guy in the ship’s white uniform behind the check in agents starts folding computers and searching them as each agent clears the passenger in front of them.

What about us! Hello!!!!! We’re right here… There are two other families behind us in line.

Took another five minutes or so, but the guy in white uniform let an agent keep her computer open. Whew!

Day1-008-L.jpg

Once we had our key cards in hand, only one thing lay between us and bliss of our first Washy-Washy experience. The long trek to the gangway.

As we wound our way through the terminal, following signs past the empty waiting area, where our travel buddies had gotten their group number, their cup of juice or water, past the empty spot where the photofroggers had long since dropped their green screen, we charged up the empty metal maze of the gangway.

But no Washy-Washy guys.

We handed our cards the security guys, got swiped and were officially on vacation.

Just in time for the lifeboat drill.

Here’s a pic of me right after that in my happy place.

Day1-016-L.jpg

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m gonna go find a washy-washy steward to get this vacation officially started.

First mistake, flying Delta . Those of us who do LAX and SEA know Alaska is most reliable. Great first person review of NCL Alaska cruise. Great Job.

Edited by phissy

Pearl Upgrades:

Here's a brief update to tide you over until I get some more photos edited. Let’s begin with a look at the Pearl herself. She was in dry dock earlier this year for a refurbishing. Some of the changes I like, one not so much.

ShipCollage-02-L.jpg

First: the cabins themselves have been refreshed. New flat panel TVs were installed, as part of an upgraded com center. This gained the cabin (at least in the oceanviews) an extra square foot or two of floor space.

Of course, I forgot to take a photo of the new TV area in our cabin.

The other change that stuck out right away was the art painted on the walls around the promenade deck (deck 7)

Ship-1-L.jpg

Inset is the old art on the Promenade deck. Background is the new outer wall, sans art.

Here’s an image of before and after the “upgrade.” Not sure I like the new clean white look, but it’s sure to be easier on the maintenance.

Maintenance chief: You, crewman, go touch up the paint on the exterior walls on deck 7.

Old Crewmember question: “What colors will I need for all of the art there?”

New Crewmember question: “Where did I put the white paint I used yesterday?”

(I’m sure he put the white paint in the same storage locker in the paint room… but, you get the point)

In general, there was some sprucing up throughout the ship, but with a five-year gap in between our sailings on the Pearl, we were hard pressed to say “That’s changed” beyond what was mentioned above.

ShipCollage-01-L.jpg

My favorite spot is still sitting in the Great Outdoors, even when it’s chilly. I was there every morning. There are areas that are sheltered from the breeze, so it’s a decent and quiet spot until about 9 am or so when the late risers come in for breakfast.

Ship-12-L.jpg

My favorite breakfast and breakfast spot (note the bacon!)

Pearl Upgrades:

Here's a brief update to tide you over until I get some more photos edited. Let’s begin with a look at the Pearl herself. She was in dry dock earlier this year for a refurbishing. Some of the changes I like, one not so much.

ShipCollage-02-L.jpg

First: the cabins themselves have been refreshed. New flat panel TVs were installed, as part of an upgraded com center. This gained the cabin (at least in the oceanviews) an extra square foot or two of floor space.

Of course, I forgot to take a photo of the new TV area in our cabin.

The other change that stuck out right away was the art painted on the walls around the promenade deck (deck 7)

Ship-1-L.jpg

Inset is the old art on the Promenade deck. Background is the new outer wall, sans art.

Here’s an image of before and after the “upgrade.” Not sure I like the new clean white look, but it’s sure to be easier on the maintenance.

Maintenance chief: You, crewman, go touch up the paint on the exterior walls on deck 7.

Old Crewmember question: “What colors will I need for all of the art there?”

New Crewmember question: “Where did I put the white paint I used yesterday?”

(I’m sure he put the white paint in the same storage locker in the paint room… but, you get the point)

In general, there was some sprucing up throughout the ship, but with a five-year gap in between our sailings on the Pearl, we were hard pressed to say “That’s changed” beyond what was mentioned above.

ShipCollage-01-L.jpg

My favorite spot is still sitting in the Great Outdoors, even when it’s chilly. I was there every morning. There are areas that are sheltered from the breeze, so it’s a decent and quiet spot until about 9 am or so when the late risers come in for breakfast.

Ship-12-L.jpg

My favorite breakfast and breakfast spot (note the bacon!)

Just loving the not so live blog. Great pictures. We are sailing on 8/13. We have an aft cabin so sounds like we will be pretty close to the Great Outdoors. I didn't know they served breakfast as well.

We are sailing on 13th also. Inside cabin with hopes for an accepted bid for balcony.

When will you know if your bid has been accepted?

We are in an aft balcony & I didn't even bother looking at any upgrade options.

First cruise and first visit to Alaska, Signed up for excursion each port day I may only get there once I and I want to see as much as I can. I hope to see whales and DH is hoping for bears.

I think we will see lots of whales. Bears...hmmm only from a distance.

We have an excursion booked in Juneau for a whale watch & Mendenhall Glacier combo.

Skagway we are booked on a Glacier Wilderness Safari.

Ketchikan just walking around town. I hate to get to each port and then take off and not visit town.

Just walking around in Victoria.

Juneau is Whale Watch but I don't think the Glacier. Skagway is train, DH wanted to go to Yukon. Ketchikan is Bear Country and Victoria I think we are taking a tram/trolley or something and then walk around.

BTW we are from Nebraska.

Our Travel Buddies took an inside cabin. They ended up sleeping better than we did.

No sunlight in their cabin.

Sun rose early and set late, especially on the northern end of the journey. Wife and I had a difficult time sleeping past 6 am most days (we're usually up around 5:30, and hoped to sleep later due to VACATION - but the extra daylight was difficult to overcome)