Where is amber cove

dcruisers

While checking on a Princess cruise for January I saw a port that I had NEVER heard of in over 25 cruises. Amber Cover....Where is it and is a private island OR a regular port?

I went to the Caribbean port boards and it wouldn't allow me to start a thread.

Thanks in advance!

While checking on a Princess cruise for January I saw a port that I had NEVER heard of in over 25 cruises. Amber Cover....Where is it and is a private island OR a regular port?

I went to the Caribbean port boards and it wouldn't allow me to start a thread.

Thanks in advance!

It's on the north shore of DR, built by CCL for a port stop. Kind of like Turks and Caicos and Falmouth, Jamaica. There are excursions st that location

3d55ae058d1632923cf2fc30c57301a8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DR is different from Grand Turk in that while it has a pool area it does not have a beach. If you book independent excursions you need to plan on a 10 min walk to the port gates as they are not allowed inside. DR is a beautiful island and would happily visit here again. Staying in the port however would be a mistake imho and there is zero to do immediately outside the port so you must arrange something.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

DR is different from Grand Turk in that while it has a pool area it does not have a beach. If you book independent excursions you need to plan on a 10 min walk to the port gates as they are not allowed inside. DR is a beautiful island and would happily visit here again. Staying in the port however would be a mistake imho and there is zero to do immediately outside the port so you must arrange something.

My meaning was it was s created Port stop by a cruise line, albeit not the exact same as others mentioned but all created by CCL, I believe. Falmouth has no beaches either, at least from what I remember. It's still a nice stop plus you can zip line.

Amber Cove is a really nice area but no beach as reported. It is the start point for excursions further into the DR. Expect a hike to get to the gate where they have private excursions since they are not allowed into the area. Carnival Corp built the port for their different cruise lines to use and does not like competition.

Actually if you are looking for a very relaxing day, there is a very nice large swimming pool within the secured area that we had a great day at. No charge to use, drinks and food available to purchase. Clean restrooms, plenty of lounge chairs.

I have to disagree with some of the previous posters. We were one of the first ships to stop at Amber Cover last December. We stayed at the purpose built facility, (pools, zip line, hammocks, basket ball, water sports, restaurant, shops, etc.). We did not book any excursions as I know the DR and I know it's a very poor country. At dinner that night, those who had booked excursions said they wish they hadn't and wish they had just stayed at the port. We are also stopping there this Dec. and we will be planning the day at Amber Cove once again. They did a WONDERFUL job creating this area! Hope that helps.

Most people in Dominican Republic live in poverty. 10% extreme poverty. Try to get beyond the cruise company's sales desk and their amber cove compound and spend your money directly into the community where it will make a difference to somebody's life.

There are many mission organisations working in the area. You can make contact with them. Some offer volunteer for the day programs. You can pack up underused quality bedsheets and towels from home and pass them on to these local initiatives who are often delighted to receive them. The kids need toothbrushes and toothpaste, not candy.

There are also local operators e.g. MarySol, highly rated on TripAdvisor who pick up just outside the compound.

Most people in Dominican Republic live in poverty. 10% extreme poverty. Try to get beyond the cruise company's sales desk and their amber cove compound and spend your money directly into the community where it will make a difference to somebody's life.

There are many mission organisations working in the area. You can make contact with them. Some offer volunteer for the day programs. You can pack up underused quality bedsheets and towels from home and pass them on to these local initiatives who are often delighted to receive them. The kids need toothbrushes and toothpaste, not candy.

There are also local operators e.g. MarySol, highly rated on TripAdvisor who pick up just outside the compound.

I have to agree with this. If you stay in the port you learn nothing, explore nothing and contribute nothing. DR is actually one of the more beautiful Caribbean countries as much of the mountainous landscape is still in it's natural lush condition. If you have been to Roatan, I would equate it - Coxen Hole is small and dirty and the country is poor. But the people are wonderful and their natural resources bountiful.

Here are two relevant threads:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1024

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=374

I think it's time we gathered together all our older towels & linens to donate. We usually just throw them away and I'm sure someone would appreciate receiving them.

The is brilliant! I will still plan on staying at Amber Cove, but will happily drop off some items just outside! Thanks!

We stopped at Amber Cove in December. I'm glad we walked out of the area (really, it's not very far) and booked an independent tour there; very nice tour of Puerto Plata, with several stops, plus we added the gondola up the mountain. It's a beautiful island and while we spent some time in Amber Cove itself afterwards, at the pool, I would not have missed our tour. Spending money on an island does help the local economy.

I think it's time we gathered together all our older towels & linens to donate. We usually just throw them away and I'm sure someone would appreciate receiving them.

The is brilliant! I will still plan on staying at Amber Cove, but will happily drop off some items just outside! Thanks!

Just make sure you are not violating any customs import regulations by doing this.

I have to disagree with some of the previous posters. We were one of the first ships to stop at Amber Cover last December. We stayed at the purpose built facility, (pools, zip line, hammocks, basket ball, water sports, restaurant, shops, etc.). We did not book any excursions as I know the DR and I know it's a very poor country. At dinner that night, those who had booked excursions said they wish they hadn't and wish they had just stayed at the port. We are also stopping there this Dec. and we will be planning the day at Amber Cove once again. They did a WONDERFUL job creating this area! Hope that helps.

Thanks for this information. We are also booked to stop there the week before Christmas on a short voyage. Plenty of time to look at what excursions, both Princess and private there are so see this island for the first time.

Just make sure you are not violating any customs import regulations by doing this.

Well since I donate all of my towels/linens to the local no kill animal rescue, I don't see how a dozen tooth brushes and tooth paste DONATIONS will violate any custom import regs!

Fanning Island is a stop on HAL's Hawaii South Pacific cruise which is VERY primitive. Many passengers take school supplies for the kids, we took dental supplies and had no issues.