Southampton Boat Show

Big Foot

Hello,

I am fortunate enough to be doing a B2B on Ventura in September; 2 nights to Guernsey (fingers crossed!) followed by 12 nights to the Canaries.

We dock at The Ocean Terminal on Sunday 17th September on our 'turnaround day' & are considering visiting the Boat Show & thus treating Southampton as another 'port visit'.

Having never been before I would be grateful for people's views on whether or not it's worth going to? I seen some video clips of people looking at yachts & wondered if "joe public" are allowed to view them or are they 'reserved' for 'serious buyers' etc.

Any tips / information etc would be gratefully received.

Thank you.

Joan

The general price is £20 per person, but if you want to get a tour of a yacht and an hour trip it is £135. If you do go I would go early as the town will be a nightmare journey wise. Looking at the web site there is lots of things going on so for £20, I think it would be great as you are already there for the day.

All the big luxury yacht builders exhibit there. You can look at the outside of most of them, but looking inside is usually reserved for serious buyers and by appointment only. However a couple of years ago Sunseeker did let people look around one of their smaller (one million pound) boats. You had to take off your shoes and wear plastic bags on your feet, but it was fascinating to see how the other half lives. Some of the trade stalls are of interest to non serious sailors, but the food stalls are quite pricey and get very busy.

Following on from Mandylemmon,s comment about the town being a nightmare we have been on cruises a few times during the boat show and it can affect where you car gets parked.

The boat show takes over / affects some of the area that is normally used for parking at the town centre terminals. Twice when we have arrived during the boat show period our car has had to be parked further along the docks and a shuttle used to take passengers along to the ship and vans for luggage. It takes a lot longer to get to embarkation and get back to you car. This didn't affect all passengers, must just be when they run out of parking space close to the ship.

As we now try to avoid this period of time for cruising, it may have changed as this a was at least 5 years ago.

Someone who has been there more recently may be able to advise if this practice has stopped now.