Underwater case for IPhone 7

KajunCruiser

What type of underwater case is the best for using iPhone 7. I would like to get one before my cruise in October. Would like suggestions from fellow cruisers, their opinions & experiences with using one. Are they dependable and worth getting one?

I have an otter box preserver for my iPhone 5. I haven't used it underwater (on purpose...), but it has come cave tubing with us in Belize. I tend to put it into a dry bag (Mountain Equipment Co-Op in Canada has an iPhone sized bag) just in case.

As the previous poster said, it's an expensive phone and the cases do not guarantee they are waterproof. I can vouch for the preserver protecting my phone when dropped into water, it claims a 30 minute time frame for underwater immersion but I'm not about to test it with my phone in the case.

We've used inexpensive cameras from Costco for our underwater adventures, even then they don't last more than a couple of vacations. That experience has led me to be very sceptical about under water electronics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For the 6s and 6s+ my DD and I have Lifeproof cases. She has used her in the pool to take underwater shots. She's also taken it to a water park to make videos of her and friends on the rides. I wouldn't let her use it in the ocean as if she drops it in deep water she'll be in deeper something else! I have used mine at the beach to take pics and videos of the kids without worries about sand or salt water ruining the phone. Usually you can find them on sale from Walmart or Best Buy for just under $50.

You are better off getting a camera that is designed to be used underwater than a case for a phone. Two reasons for this, first the camera is designed to take pictures and to take them underwater, the phone isn't. You don't risk dropping an $800 phone. Sure you don't want to drop a $150 camera but the phone is a lot more valuable.

IP67 sounds cool, it's water resistant in non-salt, static water environment down to 3 ft. - that's the iPhone 7 certification for, however, water damages are not covered even when it's under overall warranty. Sea (salt) water is corrosive and harsh should the case or cover failed, or you go chest deep below to snorkel. Don't think my words for it, just ask your friendly Apple care team members at the store.

There are reasons why divers use specialized underwater photography equipment, designed & certified, instead of their "modern" day smartphone and iPhone to go diving into the ocean.

Besides, Samsung's Galaxy S7 has a higher rating of IP68 - waterproof down to 1.5 meter or 4.9 ft. of static water & stay submerged for 30 minutes ... read, not salt water in the ocean.

YMMV.

Thanks to everyone for the quick response

I have used one of those cheaper phone cases like the picture someone posted above and it worked great. Not a drop of water. And it floats which is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Be sure to test it at home first with a piece of paper! Stick a piece of paper in it and seal it up and immerse it. If paper stays dry, you're good to go! Our paper got wet so we returned ours.

Sent from my iPhone