Norweigen Dawn Lobster and Prime Rib

Maine lobster is listed in these menus.

Is it some other crustacean masquerading as Maine?

http://www.cruisetipstv.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Cagneys-Menu.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

What is the date of this menu? Someone posted on CC that NCL removed lobster from its specialty restaurants menu. Hopefully this isn't true.

What is the date of this menu? Someone posted on CC that NCL removed lobster from its specialty restaurants menu. Hopefully this isn't true.

From what I can tell from the url it looks like 2015. A further google search revealed this menu from a 2017 blog which shows no maine lobster.

Yes that menu is old and even then I seem to remember people questioning if they really were "Maine" lobsters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP is asking us to be fortune teller for Sept 2018 on BOS-BDA, let's start taking bets on it. Odds, IMHO, are from nearly zero to non whatsoever on Maine lobster ... not even frozen ones in whole or tails. I am not sure if the Executive Chefs at NCL and their procurement can predict & plan this far ahead, despite their bulk purchasing.

Changes obviously can and do happen, perhaps if prices drop & supplies being plentiful (Sept. also being late in the season for North Atlantic lobsters ... no more soft shells, loved them ourselves in the 2.5 lbs range, yummy ;p )

Prime rib in the MDR - odds are probably good, most definitely can order them in Cagney (specialty dining) and with luck, available free as specials in O'Sheehan's.

Tip for OP, how about pre-cruise and/or post-cruise, Beantowns (that's Boston, MA) in the heart of New England and very good availability of cold water, fresh N.E. & Maine lobsters of all sizes - depending on where you choose to dine, you can pick yours out of the tank personally, cook to order. We like ours broiled ... dipped in seasoned butter.

They simply just, don't, can't prepare them properly onboard the cruise ship's gallery.

Changes obviously can and do happen, perhaps if prices drop & supplies being plentiful (Sept. also being late in the season for North Atlantic lobsters ... no more soft shells, loved them ourselves in the 2.5 lbs range, yummy ;p )

Maine Lobster is the common name for Homarus Americanus which is harvested / fished for from Labrador in Canada to New Jersey. The vast majority comes from Maine and Canada. The only way you'll know if you have Maine or Canadian lobster is if you are getting in fresh and you live in an area with an active fishing community. We lived less than 0.2 miles from the MLA (Maine Lobsterman's Association) headquarters for close to 15 years. We only knew the difference because we knew if the boats were going out.

There are processing plants in Canada and Northern New England that do a great job of flash freezing during processing. Unless you eat a crapload of lobster (or metric craptonne in Canada) you probably won't be able to tell the difference. If you live in a lobstering village, you can taste the difference between today's catch and lobsters that have been in the tank for a few days. You can also tell the difference between shredders (soft shell) and hard shell lobsters.

That last part is pretty much for ChengPK and anyone else who's a stone's throw from the coast. ;)

Some cruise lines do indeed offer honest to goodness Maine Lobster. Holland America has since at least 2012. It's tails only, but that's better than those nasty sea spiders (warm water lobsters) that they had prior.

Some of HAL's dishes use knuckle and claw meat, but I am pretty sure that the knuckle and claw meat is frozen as well. (It's a food safety thing.)

So anyway...

Maine Lobster is still being offered on at least one mainstream cruise line that I know of. Probably more. You can say what you want, but it's a cost thing. Not having lobster on a cruise isn't the end of the world. There are plenty of other seafood and shellfish options. (News flash: Many of them frozen.)

The current boat price for lobster in Maine is $4.50/lb for hard shell and $3.50 for shredders. The supermarket price in Maine is $7.99 to $9.00/lb. This is usually based on 1.25 - 1.5 lobsters (chicks.) You have to remember that the meat yield is only 5 to 6 ounces. That's where the expense comes in.

Maine Lobster is the common name for Homarus Americanus which is harvested / fished for from Labrador in Canada to New Jersey. The vast majority comes from Maine and Canada. The only way you'll know if you have Maine or Canadian lobster is if you are getting in fresh and you live in an area with an active fishing community. We lived less than 0.2 miles from the MLA (Maine Lobsterman's Association) headquarters for close to 15 years. We only knew the difference because we knew if the boats were going out.

There are processing plants in Canada and Northern New England that do a great job of flash freezing during processing. Unless you eat a crapload of lobster (or metric craptonne in Canada) you probably won't be able to tell the difference. If you live in a lobstering village, you can taste the difference between today's catch and lobsters that have been in the tank for a few days. You can also tell the difference between shredders (soft shell) and hard shell lobsters.

That last part is pretty much for ChengPK and anyone else who's a stone's throw from the coast. ;)

Some cruise lines do indeed offer honest to goodness Maine Lobster. Holland America has since at least 2012. It's tails only, but that's better than those nasty sea spiders (warm water lobsters) that they had prior.

Some of HAL's dishes use knuckle and claw meat, but I am pretty sure that the knuckle and claw meat is frozen as well. (It's a food safety thing.)

So anyway...

Maine Lobster is still being offered on at least one mainstream cruise line that I know of. Probably more. You can say what you want, but it's a cost thing. Not having lobster on a cruise isn't the end of the world. There are plenty of other seafood and shellfish options. (News flash: Many of them frozen.)

The current boat price for lobster in Maine is $4.50/lb for hard shell and $3.50 for shredders. The supermarket price in Maine is $7.99 to $9.00/lb. This is usually based on 1.25 - 1.5 lobsters (chicks.) You have to remember that the meat yield is only 5 to 6 ounces. That's where the expense comes in.

Wow, I did not know all that. Thank you!