Salt water & African American Hair

I'm not black but I have naturally dark, coarse, very curley hair.

For any hair salt water is damaging.

I highly suggest puting a conditioner on hair before you go in the water so the hair does not absorb and salt water.

Rinse with fresh water as soon as you get out.

I would agree with the previous post; I am african american and I make sure to bring my own hair products whenever we're cruising. I usually visit the salon for a good wash and condition. Since my hair is chemically processed, I like to make sure I get a get shampoo and condition treatment.

I have curly hair as well, though not African American. If you are taking any tours where you aren't going ot have immediate access to fresh water, in addition to conditioning before you go out, you should make a mix of conditioner and water in a spray bottle that you can spray on your hair when you get out of the water. It will help tide you over until you can get a good rinsing.

Hello all,

I have a few friends going with me on our first cruise and they would like to know how the salt water will affect their hair. So if you are african-american and can relate to this, please respond!

Well, my fiance is African and we've done lots of cruises and vacations together!

And she loves to have fun with her hair, so you never know if it's going to be "natural", "cornrowed", "box braided", "straightened", etc.

She never makes a big deal about it. If it's just an extra-dunking in the salt water excursion, she just does a water rinse in the shower later in the day (when back in the cabin).

Other than that, she just uses whatever her normal products are, and whatever accoutrements that she uses for that particular hairstyle (flat iron, curling iron, pick, etc.)

Hope that helps in some way.

:)

Hi! I'm an African American female and I cruise alot!! I also love the water and have no problem doing water activities!

I bring my own hair products, esp very good conditioner. I love cream of nature deep conditioner and use this on my hair.

Also, a tip that I learn from a friend that do hair. When you return to the ship, crush several asprin and mix it with water. Coat your hair with this mixture and then rinse. This is helpful in maintaining your hair. I don't know the why it work, but after six cruises, my hair comes back in good condition.

Happy sailing!!

Second time around and my 40th birthday cruise on the

MAASDAM!!

10/24/08-11/07/08

Cruises :D !!

Fascination 2001

M/S Columbia 2002

Oosterdam 2004

Westerdam 2005

Miracle 2006

Maasdam 2007

Hi! I'm an African American female and I cruise alot!! I also love the water and have no problem doing water activities!

I bring my own hair products, esp very good conditioner. I love cream of nature deep conditioner and use this on my hair.

Also, a tip that I learn from a friend that do hair. When you return to the ship, crush several asprin and mix it with water. Coat your hair with this mixture and then rinse. This is helpful in maintaining your hair. I don't know the why it work, but after six cruises, my hair comes back in good condition.

Happy sailing!!

Second time around and my 40th birthday cruise on the

MAASDAM!!

10/24/08-11/07/08

Cruises :D !!

Fascination 2001

M/S Columbia 2002

Oosterdam 2004

Westerdam 2005

Miracle 2006

Maasdam 2007

Thanks for the tip, I'll remember to put asprin in my bag when I start packing for our upcoming trip.

• 8 years later...

I'm glad I found this thread and would love to resurrect it because I know other women could benefit from the answers. If any previous poster has an update, please share!

I am an African American woman who is a big believer in natural hair. I have not straightened my hair or used direct heat for years. I started a business around the subject and use those products in my hair. I do not swim in chlorinated pools. Do not get me wrong-- I do have the urge, but then I think of the damage it will do to my hair, and I snap back to reality! Before swimming in salt water, I soak my hair in a conditioner and water solution. Afterwards, I just do a quick water rinse and seal with my cream or butter.

If I am going to be in the sun for more than ten minutes, I moisturize with just water, seal with my butter (melted), and cover with a light-color scarf or hat. I do not wear my hair out (in curls) very much and definitely not to swim. I two-strand twist my hair without any added hair. It does take some hours because my hair is long now (waist length, stretched), but the style lasts me over a month. I even wash my twisted hair to lessen tangling!

For trips, depending on the activity, I can put the twists in one or two French braids, a bun, loose twists, or curly. A bun or curly or a bun with curly twists shaping the face can work for formal settings.