African American Hair

vrog33

I am black and wanted advice about different hair styles to wear on a 7 day carrib cruise. I will be getting in the water almost everyday so I know wearing my hair out natural wouldnt work.

Any other advice and hairstyles plz?

• Like 1

My hair is a good length of to my shoulders, a little bit past. I havent had a relaxer for over a year and even if I got one when it gets wet I would have to wash it every day and blow dry and curl it and I dont know if using heat every day would be good.

I was debating getting braids or tracks, but I was not sure how tracks would last and look getting wet almost everyday.

thanks.

on my cruzes...just this week..alot of "rows" and twists..w//w/o beads...you can buy some "add-ons" to clip in for the evenings..as I've seen those, and do a great quick change..add jewels, beads, f;owers, or scarf wraps..all lovely looks..go to a website, or an ethnic beauty supply in your area for ideas. My gal pals all look great with their additions..good hair shopping!

Good morning!!

I'm an African American female in her early 40's. My hair is hit my shoulders. I like to swim and snorkle on my cruises.

I do wash my hair and then wrap it for at least 20 to 30 minutes and blow it out. I will wear it in either a ponytail or neat bun. I also will twist it and taper it in the back. There are times when I will make large plaits,wrap it and the next morning my hair is wavy.

I know some people suggest braids. If you someone who don't like alot of fuss, braids are an option.

I know that it takes alittle more time to do our hair,but I look at that time as a break in my cabin.

Happy sailing!!

Hello! My first cruise is coming up so ...take this with a grain of salt I suppose....however, I spend a lot of time in the water (competed in a triathalon and swam alot in training...always in the water with kids). I have natural hair and wash it quite a bit and use products that allow me to wash and wear (kinky-curly, miss jessie, curls.biz). The products from these companies allow me to wash, put in product and go sometimes with a hairband...many times not. I also will use one of their thicker products sometimes and then pull my hair back in a bun (usually I use a bit of gel and then put a scarf around the top just for about 5 minutes...looks nice).

You can also search on youtube for natural african american styles. I have found some great bun styles that I use and all of the styles are done with wet hair. I don't know if I'm allowed to post other websites (first time posting here...I won't do the link) but longhaircareforum.com has great hair care tips for African Americans - actual care and styling. Suggestions for what to do with hair during swim season etc.

I am black and wanted advice about different hair styles to wear on a 7 day carrib cruise. I will be getting in the water almost everyday so I know wearing my hair out natural wouldnt work.

Braids, singalese twists, or a sew-in weave.

My wife is African, with shoulder length hair, and we've been going on cruises and water based vacations for quite a while now (she's quite a swimmer)...

So, in general I totally agree with this:

I will wear it in either a ponytail or neat bun. I also will twist it and taper it in the back. There are times when I will make large plaits,wrap it and the next morning my hair is wavy.

I know some people suggest braids. If you someone who don't like alot of fuss, braids are an option.

and this:

The products from these companies allow me to wash, put in product and go sometimes with a hairband...many times not. I also will use one of their thicker products sometimes and then pull my hair back in a bun (usually I use a bit of gel and then put a scarf around the top just for about 5 minutes...looks nice).

So Mrs. CJW always does one of these two options...

Shoulder length, then she just puts it in a bun or high ponytail for swimming or in the water.

Also gives her the option of up, down, high bun, chignon, etc.

or she will get her hair done in cornrows on the top and sides, with box braids as it gets to the back of her head.

Then she can leave it down, ponytail, or put it in a bun.

Both work well for her, and these are the only two options she'll do when cruising.

I've illustrated what I'm talking about here:

c02001ef334f2bb4619201a4bcb30ac6.jpg

Top row is down and up for formal night, or swimming.

Bottom row (I know some of these are full box braids, but you get the idea) is the closest I could find of the part cornrow, back boxbraid look she favors...

I hope that helps!

Enjoy your cruise!:D

I have been on many cruises and I too am an African American woman. I've worn micros only once and swore never again, taking them down was awful! We love water-based activities and spend alot of time in the water. If I don't feel like messing with my hair, I call the salon and schedule a wash and roller set this gets me a good shampoo and conditioning treatment and then I just wrap my hair.

Braids are as easy as they get. You can wash and dry (or not) and go. The braids will always look nice. But if you are like me, you dont like to take them out and IMHO braids are what is expected of an African American woman on a vacation with a lot of water involved. I don't know how you feel about weaves, but a wet and wavy weave (human hair) is very low maintenance as well- wash, put mousse in it and go. Or you can do water activities with your natural hair (of course caring for it as you would normally), but to get that straight from the hair salon look, you can wear a lace front wig. They are very nice. You just have to get one that suites your features. Just a few options, with the least amount of work needed but they always look good.

This is a great thread. I am african american female with shoulder length hair.

I was thinking about getting micros, but heck....I have beautiful hair, I like my hair...I don't want braids. And besides, I got them a few years back, and it caused my hair to break off.

I liked the earlier post about making a salon appt. That sounds easy enough. Are you comfortable with the cruise salon doing your hair? Will they wash, condition, and flat iron my hair?

I was thinking about getting micros, but heck....I have beautiful hair, I like my hair...I don't want braids. And besides, I got them a few years back, and it caused my hair to break off.

I liked the earlier post about making a salon appt. That sounds easy enough. Are you comfortable with the cruise salon doing your hair? Will they wash, condition, and flat iron my hair?

Yes, micros can definitely break your hair off. Not only that, but it's really easy for them to come out on the edges once they get wet. I think I would be a little nervous about letting the cruise salon do my hair. Not everyone has the right type of products to use in African-American hair. But I guess it's worth a shot. Another option that I don't think anyone has suggested is a cap weave. It's just like a wig but it's customized by your hairstylist to be whatever style you want. And it's a little lighter than a wig because it's done on a stocking cap. Most people mold their hair with gel to put it on, but since your hair is natural I don't think that'll work. You'd probably have to braid your own hair down into cornrows and then put on the cap. If you're like me and you're hair challeged, I think I'd shampoo and condition my own hair and then let the salon braid it back. At least one of their stylists should know how to do that.

I have never experienced a problem having my hair done wihile on a cruise. IMO there's minimal risk involved in having someone wash, condition and set my hair on rollers. I generally bring my own products with me so I just go back to my cabin and wrap my hair. The curls give my hair extra body. While I'm sure their stylists are familiar with flat irons I'd be hesitant to let someone inexperienced with African American hair put heat and/or chemicals on my hair. Shampoo and condition is all I'd be comfortable with. That's not to rag on the salon onboard the ship I'd feel the same way with a stylist at home that I was meeting for the first time.

If you go to the salon,bring your own products. I'm finding that more salons on the ships have people that can work on our hair. I only allow my hairdresser to place a relaxer on my hair and no one else. But a simple wash and roller set or wrap is no problem. The products that they have alot of times don't work with our hair, so I bring my own and they will use them.

My hair is a good length of to my shoulders, a little bit past. I havent had a relaxer for over a year and even if I got one when it gets wet I would have to wash it every day and blow dry and curl it and I dont know if using heat every day would be good.

I was debating getting braids or tracks, but I was not sure how tracks would last and look getting wet almost everyday.

thanks.

I wear my hair natural (haven't relaxed in about 7 years) and the easiest thing for me is to just wear it in its natural state. I condition it each morning (no shampoo), apply a small amount of gel around the edges, then I put on a head band and let my hair air dry. As it dries it falls into place. My hair has a lot of curl definition and I find it works best when I just leave it alone. I pretty much just shake & go.

For my last cruise I took a couple of hair pieces for the 2 formal nights. On those mornings after conditioning my hair I'll brush it back into a pony tail. The denman brush is great for this. I'll apply gel then tie my hair down tightly for at least 30 minutes so it will lie flat. This is how I prep my hair to be able to wear the hair pieces for a more formal look. When I remove the scarf my hair stays in place all day and all I have to do is attach the hair piece when I'm ready to dress for dinner.

For short cruises I usually put flat twists in the top and wear the back down. I'll condition just the back being careful not to let the twists get wet and let it air dry. My hair is usually dry by the time I finish breakfast.

My hair is much easier to manage natural than it was when it was relaxed. I don't have to carry a blow dryer, curling iron or flat iron. When I cruise with my sister (whose hair is relaxed), while she's busy curling her hair I'm relaxing until she's ready to go. All I need is conditioner, a little gel and a variety of head bands. Totally carefree.

This is what I love above cruise critic... I have been trying to figure out what to do with my hair on cruises for the past year but would have never thought to ask here. On my first crusie I just wore my hair down and straight. I have relaxed hair that is a pretty good length. This sucked because the heat and humidty had my hair looking a mess and I could not get it wet since I am hair challenged as well. One of my aunts who went with me had a sewn in wet and wavy and the other women wore braids. I hate braids for the reasons that have already been mentioned. They tend to pull your hair out and are hell to take out. On my next crusise I wore a quick weave. Which is a weave that is glued on top of your own gelled down hair. This was really cute but I could not go swimming in it. For my next cruise in October, I plan to get a wet and wavy weave sewn in because I plan on swimming with the dolphins and going swimmimg. Any suggestions or ideas.

If you are good with the flat iron this is what I do. I wash my hair in the evening and rollerset it wet and let airdry. When its dry I add a heat protectant then as I remove each roller flat iron that section (hair is natural) There is also a product called Sabino that I order on Amazon that is good with dealing with humidity. Or I use ms jessies and just go with it

I mainly wear my hair in braids though (no breakage) I don't do micros :(. Sometimes I get senagalese twists or get it braided halfway and leave it out using wet and wavy.

Like I said in my previous post, wet and wavy weave is usually the easiest way to go. But there are other options like wigs. I think I am going to get a long straight sewn in weave and bring my flat iron and my shine. I haven't decided yet but box braids and especially micro are the only type of braids that offer the versatility that we all love. Up one day down the next.

As for the salon on the cruiseship doing my hair. . . nope, no way, no can do. Not even when I bring my own products. Our hair is special and I can't let anyone take a crack at it.

I am also hair challenged in that it is severely damaged. I wore sewn in weaves for years now I wear wigs. They are so easy..........just shake, slip on, and go.

Anyway on past water based vacations I have worn a sewn in wet and wavy weave and it worked great. Last cruise I took two identical synthetic wigs. The texture was similar to the wet and wavy but I liked it better than the human hair because it was easier to manage, curls stayed in place (wet or dry), dried quickly, needed very little product, maintenance, etc. If the wig from earlier in the day was not dry by dinner, I just slipped on the spare wig and continued to swap between the two throughout the trip.

Word of caution: attach securely! I am not a great swimmer, but did swin in the ocean and pool wearing a wig with no issues. Snorkeling (getting the mask on/off) without incident was another story :D. So this year, I am already investigating the possibility of a lace wig just not sure I want to deal with the glue, but would be comfortable swimming in a regular wig as long as I did not snorkle.

I love this thread. I'm so glad someone else raised this question. I've been trying to figure out what I'm going to do with my hair on a cruise I'm going on next month. It's to Alaska, so I won't have too much time in the water (besides the hot tub and any rain.) But I'm in a room with my *fairly* new bf and I'm worried he'll get annoyed waiting for me to blowdry and then flat iron my hair every other day or so.

I'm half African, half Irish so what I ended up with is extremely thick, kinky hair with tight waves (not exactly curls) that's sooo difficult to deal with when it's not relaxed. It's pretty to wear in a lot of updo hairstyles in its natural state, but difficult to flat iron into anything attractive. When it's relaxed its great after flat ironing, and rarely gets frizzy, but then it's difficult to deal with in its natural state - it doesn't get curly/wavy after hitting water, it'll just gets frizzy.

In any case, I'm going to relax once more before the cruise, and then afterwards I think I'll focus on growing it out to its natural state again.

A lot of you mentioned products you use, I would really appreciate some suggestions. Being that my mom is the Irish one, I haven't really had much help being familiarized with products for my hair type. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

A lot of you mentioned products you use, I would really appreciate some suggestions. Being that my mom is the Irish one, I haven't really had much help being familiarized with products for my hair type. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I really like the products from the sites I mentioned earlier (curls.biz, kinky-curly.com and miss jessie). There is also a line called mixed chicks which is supposed to be really nice...I haven't tried it. Most of these sites have descriptions to help you define your hair (4a, 4b, 3c, etc). Once you know your curl type there are then many recommendations for products to use. Your hair type might not need as thick of a product as my hair type does. It does take some time to figure out what products work best but don't give up!! I absolutely love the fact that I no longer relax and that I can do my hair in seconds flat! I enjoy my natural hair now that I have the products and the know how to do it!!! Also, I like motown girl and long hair care forum for "instructions" on how to do my hair...treat my hair etc.

Good luck;)

A lot of you mentioned products you use, I would really appreciate some suggestions. Being that my mom is the Irish one, I haven't really had much help being familiarized with products for my hair type. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I really like the products from the sites I mentioned earlier (curls.biz, kinky-curly.com and miss jessie). There is also a line called mixed chicks which is supposed to be really nice...I haven't tried it. Most of these sites have descriptions to help you define your hair (4a, 4b, 3c, etc). Once you know your curl type there are then many recommendations for products to use. Your hair type might not need as thick of a product as my hair type does. It does take some time to figure out what products work best but don't give up!! I absolutely love the fact that I no longer relax and that I can do my hair in seconds flat! I enjoy my natural hair now that I have the products and the know how to do it!!! Also, I like motown girl and long hair care forum for "instructions" on how to do my hair...treat my hair etc.

Good luck;)

Great thread. I am 100% natural and honestly, besides braids, I have no other suggestion. I wash my hair everyday on a cruise and simply sport a wash n go, but I may be able to offer a product listing. I love Curls. I currently use the Curls Gel-Les'c, Whipped Cream. I also use my one and only conditioner, Elucence Moisture Balance Conditioner from Curlmart. I tried the Kinky Curly Curling Custard (KCCC) but I prefer the Curls Gel-Les'c over that one, but it is so high. I shampoo my hair with Dr. Bronners. I have been experimenting with Miss Jessies. I absolutely love the Rapid Recovery Treatment. I was ok with the Curly Meringue and the Curly Pudding. I'm going to reorder herstuff, perhaps the Value Pack and try it again. Her products are just so expensive. If I need to slick my hair back, I use Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera gel that you can easily find at Walmart.