Trivia

ckb104

How do the trivia games work? Do you play in a team or individually? Any thoughts from those who have gone?

Most of the time it's by teams. You can play alone if you prefer. Some of the teams are very competitive. My wife and I just play for the fun of it.

Tony

Love trivia. We prefer to play in the afternoon. On the first day we walk in, look around for for others looking to make up a team and join in. We stay together for the rest of the cruise. Some teams are really serious and argue and carry on but we like the relaxed laughter of a social occasion. That doesn't mean we don't like to win. It just means we won't wail in distress if we lose :eek:

At night they have trivia with specific topics like country and western or some such. It's always listed in the patter with venue and times.

Love trivia. We prefer to play in the afternoon. On the first day we walk in, look around for for others looking to make up a team and join in. We stay together for the rest of the cruise. Some teams are really serious and argue and carry on but we like the relaxed laughter of a social occasion. That doesn't mean we don't like to win. It just means we won't wail in distress if we lose :eek:

At night they have trivia with specific topics like country and western or some such. It's always listed in the patter with venue and times.

You have the right attitude!! Play to win but most of all to have some fun playing.

Tony

How do the trivia games work? Do you play in a team or individually? Any thoughts from those who have gone?

On most ships I've been on lately, they say 'no electronic devices' at the beginning of the game.

On emerald, one team brought a bunch of reference books with them.

Obviously good sports...

On most ships I've been on lately, they say 'no electronic devices' at the beginning of the game.

On emerald, one team brought a bunch of reference books with them.

Obviously good sports...

LOL...those "cheap ship prizes" are so worth it.....we always go and play for fun. I love when people accuse us of cheating because we're playing with a teenager and win...really...sign....and then there are the passengers who complain because they can't understand a crewmember's accent.....people, we're all listening to the same person...relax and have fun....how badly do you really need that bottle of "chateau de ship" or that lanyard....

Our last two sailings there also was a progressive trivia which was held only on sea days. Met at the same time same place and the scores were added together for the top three.

And on the cruise we just returned from on Friday, we were told that Princess is going to be spending some money on better trivia prizes. Have no idea what they might be. Personally, I love the magnet clips and hope they keep those.

Trivia is one place to meet people on a cruise. Once you create a team you stay together during the cruise. Some people can go overboard and be too serious. Last summer on the Regal I thought a group that finally got a Q wrong was going to throw the assistant overboard. The trivia answer was WRONG and they were right. :rolleyes:

Trivia is one place to meet people on a cruise. Once you create a team you stay together during the cruise. Some people can go overboard and be too serious. Last summer on the Regal I thought a group that finally got a Q wrong was going to throw the assistant overboard. The trivia answer was WRONG and they were right. :rolleyes:

Sometimes the trivia answer they are using actually is wrong! The answers used by the crew sometimes don't mesh with reality in the US. I'm not sure where they get the answers but sometimes they are a bit wonky. However, the answer they are using is the "final" answer so there's no point in getting excited about it. My wife and I usually just play by ourselves for fun but a couple of times have played with others. I agree that some folks are crazy competitive with the trivia. To them "winning" seems to be everything. We have never won and don't really care. I don't use lanyards. I don't need another water bottle or deck of cards or a little flashlight. We just like trying to see if we can answer the questions.

There is also (usually) a trivia question on the morning Wake Show. (One CD we had said he didn't "do that silly stuff" and pulled the forms from the library. What a poop.) You just fill out the answer on a little form and drop it into a box in the library by a certain time. The next morning they pull a name from those with the correct answer and you win the same "fabulous" prizes. I have several in a drawer... :o

I'm afraid I'm one of those play-to-win people. On our last cruise our team won maybe 75% of the time; people hated us. :) And we've already arranged to reunite with a team mate on a September sailing. More carabiners! More carabiners!

There really is nothing more frustrating than a staffer insisting their wrong answer is the right one. One Jeopardy!-like game the final question was "What film star was the inspiration for Daisy Duck?" The Official Answer was Marilyn Monroe - who was 14 when Daisy made her first film appearance. We stewed about that one for days.

Times have changed! I have two big Princess umbrellas, three Princess travel alarms, a couple of CD carriers ( the kind people used to listen to) and a really nice ballpoint pen and automatic pencil set.

Trivia itself has changed, too. There didn't used to people who would at any cost to the point of looking up answers. They would have been thrown out as cheaters. We always had fun and made new friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We enjoy playing trivia to meet other people with similar interests. Yes, we do like to win the "fabulous" ship prizes, but have never seen the need to cheat like some teams do. We have seen people grade their own answer sheets, add points to their scores, and have extra people sitting nearby to help their official 6 person team win.

We still have the zippered Princess tote bags we won, as well as the Princess caps, and other trivia prizes they no longer offer. We also hope they will bring back better prizes - we have enough water bottles, fans, lanyards, passport holders, and magnetic clips.

As others have mentioned, the answers are not always right. We don't make an argument there, but if we get along with the person running the trivia, we may mention it to him/her later and suggest where they may check the answer.

It is hard for crew members to keep the trivia fresh, especially on cruises where players are on board for a couple of months straight. We appreciate the effort they put in to trivia.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Trivia is a great way to meet people. Whenever we play (which is almost always), we ask others to join us to make up a team of at least 4 (rules are no more than 6 to a group) and sometimes other people just know to ask around if they can join a team. We've met some super nice and interesting people this way.

It really is a lot of fun! Some people take it a little too seriously and will save answers from prior trivia sessions or Google answers, and then there's always a few people that just seem know everything under the sun! It really doesn't matter though. It's more for gaining a little new knowledge and socializing. The prizes are the big joke of trivia. On our last cruise we won lanyards that cost maybe .98 cents in the ship's shops. :D

Edited to add: Just remember to get there about 10-15 mins. early. On our last cruise, EVERY trivia game had at least 200 people with most of them around the 300 mark.

We had a trivia question along the lines of "what basketball player has won MVP for two (or maybe 3) playing for different teams. We scratched our heads for a long time. DH is a huge sports fan and he couldn't come up with anything. The answer? Nolan Ryan! Lots-o-groans on that one. I forget how they resolved it if at all but it got lots-o-laughs.

Still smarting over a ladies vs. gents contest question of what was Princess Diana's middle name. The guys got the question and I'm thinking we got this one in the bag. They finally settled on Spencer. It was "right" according to the crew member's sheet. Whoever did the sheet was someone that didn't get that maiden name is different than middle name which, by the way, is Frances.

As most have said, it is just a game. On the rare occasions that we win, we usually look around for a kid to give our "prize" to unless it is a ball point pen with a life expectancy of about 20 minutes before they break or are lost so we can always use them. This is especially good on Carnival since it is always a ship on a stick. .

Edited by Tucker in Texas

I'm afraid I'm one of those play-to-win people. On our last cruise our team won maybe 75% of the time; people hated us. :) And we've already arranged to reunite with a team mate on a September sailing. More carabiners! More carabiners!

There really is nothing more frustrating than a staffer insisting their wrong answer is the right one. One Jeopardy!-like game the final question was "What film star was the inspiration for Daisy Duck?" The Official Answer was Marilyn Monroe - who was 14 when Daisy made her first film appearance. We stewed about that one for days.

It's a totally bogus question from the beginning. There is no correct answer as Daisy Duck wasn't inspired by any film star. Things of that sort bug the boogers out of me.

We love trivia. We also like to win. Last cruise we hooked up with an amazing team we won alot and some people were down right nasty. It is for fun and expanding your knowledge.

I don't believe you. You play because you like the GREAT PRIZES Princess gives out for winning . LOL :):) Like the Champagne they make in the boiler room every Tuesday. :) :)

Tony

Trivia can be 'ruined' if the staff use the same questions every cruise. When this is the case, there is always a team who is literally unbeatable... because they are doing a back-to-back and have written down the answer to every question in every game during the previous cruise.

Trivia can be 'ruined' if the staff use the same questions every cruise. When this is the case, there is always a team who is literally unbeatable... because they are doing a back-to-back and have written down the answer to every question in every game during the previous cruise.

True, those on B2B has an advantage if questions are the same for every sailing. I am sure the CD staff recognizes these passengers,

True, those on B2B has an advantage if questions are the same for every sailing. I am sure the CD staff recognizes these passengers,

Where I come from that's called cheating. Some people will do anything to win a key chain.

Tony