What is your sleep schedule when you cruise?

I'm interested in hearing people's sleep pattern when doing a 7 day cruise. My first cruise ever is in April and I'm just not sure how I will end up going about things. On one hand it's a nice thought to get up and see the sunrise and be out and about before everything is crowded and another hand I think of the night life and how it could be easy to get caught up doing things until midnight or so. Also on my regular time when I don't have work I sure don't hesitate to sleep in, so I also don't want to sleep away the day and feel like I wasted a lot of my time. Not sure if being on the ship will make me more prone to hop out of bed when an alarm goes off.

But for instance is going to bed around midnight and getting up around 8 a fairly reasonable idea, seems like a good compromise of being up late and up early.

Well first and foremost I just want to have a good time so not to be so concerned over anything, I just think things over a lot.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For us we seem to stay up very late the first night at least till 2 am.

Then in the middle try to go to bed by 1 am.

The last night is an all nighter.......sleep on the plane.

We usually get up for breakfast without an alarm by leaving the curtains open and get out of bed by 7:30.

Safe travels.

We just spent 11 nights on Serenade. My usual schedule was down to the room around 11, stay up until 11:30 or midnight. I had kids in kids club so we'd let them do an hour of the late night party each night. Up about 7 - no alarm needed as Lionesss said, just keep the shades open! Although be aware of your window/balcony location and if you'll be visible from the dock :D :D no need to scare the locals ;)

When we sailed on the Allure, to bed around 1-2 AM and up at 6 AM because there was just way too much to see and do. We were absolutely exhausted when we got home, but we had such an incredible time. Also, so much adrenaline from being on vacation and being on such an incredible ship that it helped until we got home. We definitely needed a week AFTER the vacation to recoup from the vacation!!

A cruise is a VACATION. Do what you want...when you want! There is no obligation to see a sunrise or stay up all night. Do what you want, and what suits YOU!

What is your normal sleep schedule? Most folks do best if they sort of stick to their normal bodily rhythms !

I think the sunrises and sunsets are among the best shows on the ship. Our typical cruise schedule accommodates my love of sunrises and sunsets and our mutual dislike of crowds. On sea days, we're generally up at 6am and walk on the track for an hour. After a quick shower, we go to the Windjammer for breakfast and then to the Solarium for a bit of sun and relaxation. By 11 or 12, we go back to the cabin for a nap, after which we have a late lunch in the Windjammer. We don't participate in very many of the organized ship activities during the day. In the afternoon, we usually find a quiet spot to sit and read or watch the water. In the evenings, we enjoy the movies on the big screen by the pool or the shows in the theater or sometimes listen to some of the musicians. We aren't foodies, and we no longer enjoy dressing up or the production involved with eating in the main dining room. We've found we prefer to eat dinner in the Windjammer at whatever time best fits with the schedule of our evening events. We don't typically stay up too late. Unless there's a late-night comedy show, we're in bed by 11 or midnight.

Normally we're in bed nlt 1 am, but on one cruise we stayed out til 3:30 am with four tablemates cause we were having way too much fun. I'd say most nights we're in bed by midnight, but it varies according to the ship. On smaller ships such as GR where there is less going on, we're in our cabin by midnight, but on the larger newer ships, it's usually closer to 1. We're then up most mornings by 7. We try to catnap in the late afternoon, usually in the solarium, but even that is not everyday. We're in our late 50's and both still work so at home we're usually up til 11-1130 and up at 5 (dh) and 5:45 (me) so our sleep time's and lengh stay pretty similar.

First cruise is magical:hearteyes: You'll want to be up to see the sunrise the first few days and of course you'll want to be up and on deck to see the ship come into the ports. We used to do that on each cruise...last couple not so much. That's what's telling me it's time for a break and then come back to cruising refreshed and ready to kick behind again:')

Enjoy your first trip - so many things to do that there's no chance to do them all AND sleep, so do what you want, when you want and enjoy it. More than likely, it won't be your last cruise;p

I usually get in about 8 hours per day except it's in at least 2 different spots.

A lot of people tend to stay up let, get up early, and take a fat nap in the afternoon, often involuntarily.

We just started sticking the Do Not Disturb sign in the door at night. If we're up by 7:00 am...great. If we sleep until 10:00 am...also great. No worries...it's vacation.

We only get up early if we have an excursion planned. Other wise, we have a wake up call for 8:30- 9:00 am. Without that I am not sure what time I would get up. We have never been to bed before midnight. Our next cruise might be different as we are cruising with quite a few family members, including our 3 year old granddaughter . She might try to dictate what is bedtime and wake up time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You may find you have 2 "sleep schedules" - one for sea days and one for days in port. Sea days I'll tend to sleep in late (I don't usually have breakfast at home, so missing breakfast doesn't bother me) and then go to Café Lattetudes for my morning decaf. mocha and a donut. Depending on what ship's activities I'm interested in I may or may not catch a nap later in the day (in anticipation of a late night) and also because it is great to have a nap on the balcony with the breeze and (depending) on where you are sailing the warm weather.

Port days depend on whether or not I have an excursion booked. Some of the ship's excursions will have a meeting time of like 7:45am or so (depending on what time you're docking) - so I get up earlier (and go to sleep a little "earlier" the night before). As others have mentioned it is sometimes nice to watch as you enter the port so that's another pro for getting up early on your port day.

One thing to keep in mind. If you have an inside cabin you may have to keep an eye on your morning sleeping pattern - especially if you want to get up early. Since there are no windows, it is pitch black in the cabin and it's very easy to lose track of time. My first cruise I was in an inside cabin and one day (luckily a sea day) slept in until about noon despite going to bed at around 11:30pm the night before (ordinarily I'll wake up about 8 or 9am).

No matter what your sleep pattern - you'll enjoy yourself and get into a rhythm that works for you.

I did go with a balcony [emoji2]. Just a random thought, I have realized that I can snore quite loud. I'm actually hesitant to allow myself to fall asleep anywhere besides my cabin for the sake of annoying others and embarrassment. Does anyone have any experience as a snorer or witnessing public snoring on cruise?

I used to be one of these "I'll never go on a cruise" people, and then a friend from high school invited me to accompany her on her divorce cruise, and I absolutely loved it! It was the inaugural voyage of Allure of the Seas and it was fantastic… I think though it ruined me for all other cruise ships.....!

I convinced my husband to take a cruise vacation a few years later, and since we live in New York, we sailed out of NY on Norwegian Breakaway.

As I wanted him to experience a RCL ship, we are taking the anthem out of New Jersey in April.

My husband is an early to bedder. Yet, the cruise daily schedule does tend to push activities, and therefore bedtime, later. As you well know, it's a vacation and of course you can do as you like. What I hear you asking though is for how others do it, it being your first time at all. Our schedule was pretty much this:

Before 9 AM, we ate breakfast and either did an early morning stretch class, and/or my husband did laps in the pool before anybody else got there.

We then selected our pool chairs for the day (in a quiet section of the ship) , and went back to our room to get our things for poolside lounging.

We stayed in our lounging spot all day until going back to the room around 500 or 6 PM depending on activities of the evening. During the day we would take breaks and walk around the ship, often through the buffet line and just picking up a little snack. Also, napping was big on the schedule for the day time – just taking it easy.

We then took showers, got ready for the evening, rested a little.

Then to dinner and whatever the evenings activities were.

Some activities don't start until 930 or even 11 PM – so you pick and choose depending on your energy level and interest.

Basically, we didn't get up that late and used the daytime outside on the deck to rest, and then did a full evening.

We ate a decent breakfast, had a little bit of snack as lunch or smoothies, and then a nice dinner.

I don't know how people do a full breakfast, full lunch, and full dinner – plus there's so many great snacks and desserts all over the place!

Have a fantastic first trip.

Always stay focused on the positive and you'll have a great experience!

I did go with a balcony [emoji2]. Just a random thought, I have realized that I can snore quite loud. I'm actually hesitant to allow myself to fall asleep anywhere besides my cabin for the sake of annoying others and embarrassment. Does anyone have any experience as a snorer or witnessing public snoring on cruise?

Never saw or heard it.

We usually head back to the cabin around 1:00 a.m. My DH sleeps in, but I'm always up to watch us pull into port. I usually sleep on and off day and night for a couple of days when I get home, have to have a couple of days off after the cruise to recuperate from the vacation [emoji1]

Sent from my iPad using Forums