Forum and Palatine Hill - Small Group Guided Tours?

Shadow9612

Can anybody recommend a small group guided tour of the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill that doesn't necessarily include the Colosseum (I visited the Colosseum previously). I have heard it is better to have a guided tour of RF/PH to better appreciate its history, etc.

I was hoping to join a small group tour rather than a private guide.

Any comments or suggestions? Thank you.

I can highly recommend Context Travel's Roma Antica tour. Context Rome does in-depth small group tours (max 6 people). Their guides are very knowledgeable -- you won't get phony stories, you'll hear the real deal.

Yes, it also does the Colosseum, but I think it may be difficult to find a tour that does not include it.

https://www.contexttravel.com/cities/rome/tours/roma-antica-tour

Joe Bananas Limo is a great service for any Italy ports. We have used them for several Italy ports. They are inexpensive and their drivers are the best. Our last tour to Rome in 2016, we saw things that I did not even know existed in our previous three trips.

Joe Bananas Limo is a great service for any Italy ports. We have used them for several Italy ports. They are inexpensive and their drivers are the best. Our last tour to Rome in 2016, we saw things that I did not even know existed in our previous three trips.

I got the feeling the OP is looking for a small group tour with a guide to be taken while staying in Rome.

NOT the kind of thing one would recommend a service like Joe Bananas for....

Perhaps OP will come back and clarify, in case I am wrong.

I got the feeling the OP is looking for a small group tour with a guide to be taken while staying in Rome.

You can do 2 person tours with Joe B. or as many people as one likes. They really will provide whatever services anyone doing Italy likes. As I mentioned we have used them several times and will be using them for 2-person tours in 2018. And you can skip the Coliseum and tailor the tour anyway one desires. On our last tour we had a person who collects "Hard Rock" pins and the driver graciously stopped to allow her to purchase her pin.

You can do 2 person tours with Joe B. or as many people as one likes. They really will provide whatever services anyone doing Italy likes. As I mentioned we have used them several times and will be using them for 2-person tours in 2018. JMO

But do they provided a GUIDED, SMALL-GROUP tour -- which is what the OP is asking for?

My understanding is that they provide a DRIVER who may provide some info but cannot go with you into the site. And if they are already in Rome, where getting around is so easy, what is the point of having a driver but not a guide??

But do they provided a GUIDED, SMALL-GROUP tour -- which is what the OP is asking for?

My understanding is that they provide a DRIVER who may provide some info but cannot go with you into the site. And if they are already in Rome, where getting around is so easy, what is the point of having a driver but not a guide??

You can have a guide as well. We had one in Pompeii with a Ph.D and he was great. Drivers in Italy are not legally allowed to be guides, but my experience is the better drivers are often serving as a guide anyway. The cost of our guide in Pompeii was and additional 100 euros. There were 6 of us and we felt it was a true bargain. Also, I think it is fair to understand that many smaller companies will state they have Driver/Guides, but again they cannot legally do both.

I am just simply doing as you, recommending a company we have thoroughly found to be excellent.

You can have a guide as well. We had one in Pompeii with a Ph.D and he was great. Drivers in Italy are not legally allowed to be guides, but my experience is the better drivers are often serving as a guide anyway. The cost of our guide in Pompeii was and additional 100 euros. There were 6 of us and we felt it was a true bargain. Also, I think it is fair to understand that many smaller companies will state they have Driver/Guides, but again they cannot legally do both.

I am just simply doing as you, recommending a company we have thoroughly found to be excellent.

Call me dense, but I am just not getting the tie-in with the original poster's expressed needs, though.

Are you saying that if you were staying in Rome, let's say a few walkable blocks from the sites the OP mentions, and you wanted a small group guided tour of those sites -- you would book a DRIVER plus pay an EXTRA 100 euro for a private guide instead of walking to a site and finding a good local tour?

I'm with cruisemom again...

I didn't get the impression the OP is looking for a driving tour where your hand is held. The OP stated they have been to Rome before (at least once), so they probably already know a little of the area and how to get around.

If the OP is only looking for a little guided tour of a specific area, there would be no reason to pay all that extra money for a car, a driver, and a guide who will walk with you. Plus, it would be one less car clogging up the areas around the tourist zone and one less car where the isolated, clueless passengers would open the car door without looking, slamming it into someone walking by (yes, personal experience)...

You are absolutely correct cruisemom42!

I'm with cruisemom again...

I didn't get the impression the OP is looking for a driving tour where your hand is held. The OP stated they have been to Rome before (at least once), so they probably already know a little of the area and how to get around.

If the OP is only looking for a little guided tour of a specific area, there would be no reason to pay all that extra money for a car, a driver, and a guide who will walk with you. Plus, it would be one less car clogging up the areas around the tourist zone and one less car where the isolated, clueless passengers would open the car door without looking, slamming it into someone walking by (yes, personal experience)...

Thank you to cruisemom and slidergirl. [Ouch slidergirl - too bad about the car door- I hope you were ok!]

The first (and only) time I was in Rome, I visited the Colosseum (guided tour through their official site) but didn't make it to RF and PH, so I would really like to go there this trip. I have read that one place where a guided tour could really be beneficial would be the RF/PH. (I plan to do a Rick Steeve's audio-tour of the Pantheon, which I also didn't get to last time).

I looked into Context but for the dates I'm considering, there are no other people yet signed up for the tour. We'll be 2, and context requires 3 to guarantee. They provide the option of guaranteeing if I pay for a 3rd spot. Do you think I'll be able to book something with Context closer to the date, or should I book well in advance to guarantee ?

I believe I could book a private tour with Context, but I would prefer to save money if I can.

Thank you :D

How much time is there until your visit? Context Travel tours don't tend to book up extremely early in my experience, but I generally travel in the off-season rather than the peak months of May through September. If it is still more than a month away, I think there's a good chance that more people will sign up -- it's one of their more popular tours (the other being the Arte Vaticana).

(I agree, private tours with Context are pretty expensive!)

How much time is there until your visit? Context Travel tours don't tend to book up extremely early in my experience, but I generally travel in the off-season rather than the peak months of May through September. If it is still more than a month away, I think there's a good chance that more people will sign up -- it's one of their more popular tours (the other being the Arte Vaticana).

(I agree, private tours with Context are pretty expensive!)

My visit will be late July.

I like Context's tour description, reviews have been good, small group size is nice.

They request a credit card upon booking, and will charge as soon as tour is confirmed with minimum number of people (3). Is this standard for tour bookings in Rome - I would have preferred to pay in person at the time of the tour. However I do see their point of view to confirm a guide etc. (I paid in advance for the Vatican and Colosseum last trip, thru their official sites, so I felt more 'comfortable').

Perhaps I should choose my date and choose the option to wait until minimum number is achieved, at which time I'm confirmed and charged?

Perhaps I should choose my date and choose the option to wait until minimum number is achieved, at which time I'm confirmed and charged?

That's what I have done in the past. I had no problems.

Once I booked a tour with them that had two other participants. Something happened with the other two and the tour didn't run. I got my refund, no problem. Over the past 10 years I've taken 4-5 tours with them.

That's what I have done in the past. I had no problems.

Once I booked a tour with them that had two other participants. Something happened with the other two and the tour didn't run. I got my refund, no problem. Over the past 10 years I've taken 4-5 tours with them.

OK, thank you for this. I have an additional question:

Does anyone have experience with Rome In Limo for this particular tour? They have a similar Ancient Rome Walking Tour with a guide only - no transportation.

• Context - 4hr - €266
  • Rome In Limo - 3hr - €223 (€65/hr x 3hr + €14 entrance fee x 2 people)

From what I can gather so far though, the Rome In Limo Tour would be just the 2 of us, which means more flexibility with taking our time, and possibly removing the Colosseum portion of the tour (since we have been there)?

Thoughts?

OK, thank you for this. I have an additional question:

Does anyone have experience with Rome In Limo for this particular tour? They have a similar Ancient Rome Walking Tour with a guide only - no transportation.

• Context - 4hr - €266
  • Rome In Limo - 3hr - €223 (€65/hr x 3hr + €14 entrance fee x 2 people)

From what I can gather so far though, the Rome In Limo Tour would be just the 2 of us, which means more flexibility with taking our time, and possibly removing the Colosseum portion of the tour (since we have been there)?

Thoughts?

I can't comment on RIL, but if you want a private guide I don't think it would be necessary to go through them to arrange it. Try looking in a guidebook such as Rick Steves' Rome guide -- I'm sure he lists at least a couple of private guides.

I did a small tour with Joe bananas as well. I know they have right van tours too through italytoursharing.com. But my very first year I went to Rome I booked a private tour through Joe Banana limos ( thank u to cruise critic for finding them). I set it up privately and just did exactly what I wanted so u can actually customize what u need. I think "copman' may have done this as well and I believe that's what he was trying to say. Just being referee here, lol!! Whatever u decide, these boards are a wealth of information. Enjoy ur cruise!! There usnithing in the wirld like a med cruise in my opinion.... oh and lemonchello of course hahaha

I did a small tour with Joe bananas as well. I know they have right van tours too through italytoursharing.com. But my very first year I went to Rome I booked a private tour through Joe Banana limos ( thank u to cruise critic for finding them). I set it up privately and just did exactly what I wanted so u can actually customize what u need. I think "copman' may have done this as well and I believe that's what he was trying to say. Just being referee here, lol!! Whatever u decide, these boards are a wealth of information. Enjoy ur cruise!! There usnithing in the wirld like a med cruise in my opinion.... oh and lemonchello of course hahaha

Yes, thank you b_cruise and copman. I appreciate all suggestions. You are correct, CC users provide a wealth of information.

I can't comment on RIL, but if you want a private guide I don't think it would be necessary to go through them to arrange it. Try looking in a guidebook such as Rick Steves' Rome guide -- I'm sure he lists at least a couple of private guides.

Do you think a self guided tour (eg Rick Steves') would be adequate enough vs a guide at all? I've also heard that there are people all over the place who will give tours for very low prices. I realize there's the whole "you get what you pay for" concept, but I'm just starting to wonder if this is something really worth investing €300 for an actual guide or if it's ok as a DIY?

I'm actually a huge proponent of DIY self-guided touring. It's probably my favorite way to see things. I like taking my time and figuring out things on my own. However, everybody's got their own comfort zone. If you like to DIY, then go for it.

Do bring a good map of both sites; and a good description/tour. (Nothing against Rick, but I'd also check other guides/sites to see if there are more detailed tours.) There's not much signage at the site.

For me, there are a lot of "must sees" at both places. At Palatine Hill, don't miss the covered passage (Cryptoporticus) where Nero was likely assassinated by his guards on his way home for lunch after watching the games in the Forum. Or the Iron age huts where the first Roman settlers lived. Or the small but charming museum on the site.

On the Forum, don't miss the Arch of Titus with its sculpture showing the Romans raiding the Temple in Jerusalem. If the doors of the Senate building are open, you can go in. (Consider yourself lucky, it's only happened to me once in 6-7 visits. Or locate the house of the Vestal Virgins and realize that Julius Caesar once lived next door. As well, you can see where his body was burned after Marc Antony's oration.

Ahh, I'd better stop before I talk myself into booking another trip to Rome....

I'm actually a huge proponent of DIY self-guided touring. It's probably my favorite way to see things. I like taking my time and figuring out things on my own. However, everybody's got their own comfort zone. If you like to DIY, then go for it.

Do bring a good map of both sites; and a good description/tour. (Nothing against Rick, but I'd also check other guides/sites to see if there are more detailed tours.) There's not much signage at the site.

For me, there are a lot of "must sees" at both places. At Palatine Hill, don't miss the covered passage (Cryptoporticus) where Nero was likely assassinated by his guards on his way home for lunch after watching the games in the Forum. Or the Iron age huts where the first Roman settlers lived. Or the small but charming museum on the site.

On the Forum, don't miss the Arch of Titus with its sculpture showing the Romans raiding the Temple in Jerusalem. If the doors of the Senate building are open, you can go in. (Consider yourself lucky, it's only happened to me once in 6-7 visits. Or locate the house of the Vestal Virgins and realize that Julius Caesar once lived next door. As well, you can see where his body was burned after Marc Antony's oration.

Ahh, I'd better stop before I talk myself into booking another trip to Rome....

Oh wow!. I was hoping your post wouldn't end!! So exciting!!

So remarkable to be transported back in time so-to-speak.... Thank you! Can't wait to be there.

I certainly like the idea of being able to go at my own pace. I had planned to do a self guided tour of the pantheon for example.

I had just heard that the RF is worth having a guide.

You've got me thinking that perhaps it would be a good idea to do a bit more research in advance of places in the RF/PH region I'd like to see, and then decide if it's something I could tackle on my own. You've certainly highlighted a few MUST SEE's! (Feel free of course to keep sharing!)...

Thank you!

When you visit the Pantheon, I suggest you take just a little time to visit my favorite church nearby: the Santa Maria Sopra Minerva. It is directly behind the Pantheon. You are greeted outside on the small piazza by Bernini's cute baby elephant sculpture. The church itself looks rather plain on the outside. But, it is magnificent inside! It is Rome's only Gothic Church. Sculpture by Michelangelo, the beautiful blue vaulted ceiling with the gold stars, the tomb of St. Catherine of Siena, beautiful side chapels. I always be sure to make some time to visit when I'm in Rome. I'm not Catholic, but this church always gives me a sense of peace when I visit.

When you visit the Pantheon, I suggest you take just a little time to visit my favorite church nearby: the Santa Maria Sopra Minerva. It is directly behind the Pantheon. You are greeted outside on the small piazza by Bernini's cute baby elephant sculpture. The church itself looks rather plain on the outside. But, it is magnificent inside! It is Rome's only Gothic Church. Sculpture by Michelangelo, the beautiful blue vaulted ceiling with the gold stars, the tomb of St. Catherine of Siena, beautiful side chapels. I always be sure to make some time to visit when I'm in Rome. I'm not Catholic, but this church always gives me a sense of peace when I visit.

Sounds wonderful - will definitely add it to my 'list'. Thank you so much​.

A little late here, but we like Angel Tours Rome for small group walking tours in Rome. We've done a few with them, and they've always been good and reasonable.

Not late! Thank you for your suggestion. I will take a look. Still trying to decide 'tour' vs. 'on my own'

[emoji33]

• 2 weeks later...

[For me, there are a lot of "must sees" at both places. At Palatine Hill, don't miss the covered passage (Cryptoporticus) where Nero was likely assassinated by his guards on his way home for lunch after watching the games in the Forum.]

That was Caligula, not Nero. The cryptoportacus is fascinating!

I did a self tour of the Forum and Palatine Hill in 2013. I did use Rick Steves' audio tour, plus books.