Passport to enter Canada

GinnyHoppa811

The last times I left the country the new rules hadn't been fully implemented so I'm a tad confused on what I need. We'll be taking a round trip to Alaska with a stop in Victoria (probably Norwegian). It's pretty clear that a passport isn't needed on the us side but verifying that we won't need it to enter Victoria is harder. I called ncl this morning who said the only thing they could say was to literally read the website to me. That seems fairly clear to me on its own but a couple people have told they needed one because their trip entered Victoria. I'm the check everything a billion time type so I want to make extra sure what the requirements actually are.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

[...]but verifying that we won't need it to enter Victoria is harder. I called ncl this morning who said the only thing they could say was to literally read the website to me. That seems fairly clear to me on its own but a couple people have told they needed one because their trip entered Victoria. I'm the check everything a billion time type so I want to make extra sure what the requirements actually are.

Checking once is enough. The NCL rep read you their written policy because that's their policy. Which certainly trumps what "a couple people told (you)".

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-travel-documents

For Cruises Leaving From a U.S. Port to the Caribbean, Bahamas & Florida, Bermuda, Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Canada & New England, Pacific Coastal

You’re required to carry:

A Valid Passport

OR

Proof of Citizenship (see below) AND Government-issued photo ID

• State certified U.S. birth certificate(Baptismal paper, hospital certificates of birth, and Puerto Rico birth certificates issued prior to 7/1/10 are not acceptable.)
  • Original certificate of U.S. naturalization
  • Original certificate of U.S. citizenship
  • U.S. Consular report of your birth abroad

OR

WHTI (Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative)-compliant documents *A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 does not require a government-issued photo ID.

Though they do add this disclaimer, it is only a recommendation, not mandatory:

Norwegian Cruise Line strongly recommends all guests to obtain a passport for their cruise vacation for the following reasons:

• If you miss your ship at its scheduled U.S. departure port and need to travel outside the U.S. to meet your ship.
  • You unexpectedly need to depart the ship from a foreign port prior to the end of sailing, a passport would be required to leave or re-enter the U.S. by air.

If you need to obtain a passport quickly, please contact VisaCentral at 844-834-5702 and reference account 75006 for discounted VisaCentral service fees. VisaCentral can obtain a passport in as little as 48 hours.

Checking once is enough. The NCL rep read you their written policy because that's their policy. Which certainly trumps what "a couple people told (you)".

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-travel-documents

Though they do add this disclaimer, it is only a recommendation, not mandatory:

Yes, I know it's their policy. Reading it to me after I've read it 15 times already as well as the us and Canadian customs sites and am looking for clarification of the stated policy is not helpful. I do get that it's for liability reasons but I'm just trying to clarify that Canada is not one of the places mentioned on the site that may require a passport as I couldn't verify that anywhere else.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This states that adults need a passbook book, card or nexus. It doesn't differentiate between cruise passengers on a multiport rt and others though (at least that I could find).

This (sort of) does:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

• U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) are able to enter the United States with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

I realize that the "check with your cruise line" disclaimer is still present. But you have done so--and have been told both in writing and verbally that you do not need a passport for the call in Victoria.

I'm sorry if I was a little blunt just putting what you have already read back into your face. But at some point you have to stop digging over and over for redundant answers and be satisfied that everything is in order.

You do not need a passport to enter Canada by land or sea AT ALL as a US citizen (or PR) - we did not change our rules about that when the new WHTI rules kicked in. Straight from the horses mouth info is here. For your convenience the relevant paragraph covers docs required to enter Canada copied & pasted:

"If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you must carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, a U.S. Permanent Resident Card, or a Certificate of Indian Status along with photo identification." (personally I feel a couple of grammatical tweaks would clarify that you need photo ID along with everything listed except the passport)

Since you've already clarified it's a closed loop with Victoria as the PVSA-compliance stop, you're good with a driving license/birth cert combo as your minimum required docs.

If you decided to take a one-way cruise from Anchorage to Vancouver, we'd even let you in - but you'd have to have a good story as to how you planned to get back to the USA, since even US citizens now require a passport or other WHTI compliant doc to reenter the USA after leaving. The Closed Loop exemption to the WHTI docs requirement is because of this issue - it was lobbied for to enable the cruise industry to keep selling product to those folks who aren't willing to acquire a passport (still the overwhelming majority of US citizens).

If, for example, you found that you'd left your passport at home when you got to the cruise port in Seward, you could cruise anyway, enter Canada, when asked about how you intend to get back to the USA inform CBSA that your family have mailed your passport ahead of you to your Vancouver hotel.

I think I've heard that there are some excursions that start in Alaska and enter Canada by land, and you need a passport for that.

Yes, to enter Canada via land us citizens need a passport book or passport card. I do believe closed loop sailings may not have this requirement; since theoretically you won't be there longer than a few hours.

Yes, to enter Canada via land us citizens need a passport book or passport card. I do believe closed loop sailings may not have this requirement; since theoretically you won't be there longer than a few hours.

No, you wouldn't need the passport if you didn't take the one particular excursion. I haven't done it myself, but I think it was a railway tour into the Yukon, and you need a passport for that, since it is open to non-cruise passengers as well, and is a normal land crossing point.

It's all dependent on whether it's a land crossing or an air crossing. If you are traveling via land (car trip), you need a passport card or passport book. If you are traveling by air, the passport book is required, not the passport card.

It should be noted that United States Customs and Border Protection does operate in Canada at certain locations. Examples given:

• Black Ball Ferry, Victoria, BC (to Port Angeles, WA) - You have to arrive 90 minutes prior to departure. At that point, the whole place is fenced off, and USCBP does the passport inspection, including going to a small building. (personal experience)
  • Canada Place, Vancouver - Per Port Of Vancouver, "All passengers embarking in Vancouver will go through screening and U.S. Customs and Border Protection as you are considered to be entering U.S. jurisdiction upon boarding the cruise ship."
  • Vancouver International Airport - Per the airport website, "Through U.S. preclearance, the same immigration, customs, and agriculture inspections of international air passengers performed on arrival in the United States is completed before departure at YVR instead."

I have also found that the US passport has come in handy as a super-document proving both my identity and my US Citizenship during employment.

I think I've heard that there are some excursions that start in Alaska and enter Canada by land, and you need a passport for that.

You're right. If you take the Whitepass train excursion, because it goes into Canada a short way before returning they check for passports before you board the train.

You do not need a passport to enter Canada by land or sea AT ALL as a US citizen (or PR) - we did not change our rules about that when the new WHTI rules kicked in. Straight from the horses mouth info is here. For your convenience the relevant paragraph covers docs required to enter Canada copied & pasted:

"If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you must carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, a U.S. Permanent Resident Card, or a Certificate of Indian Status along with photo identification." (personally I feel a couple of grammatical tweaks would clarify that you need photo ID along with everything listed except the passport)

Since you've already clarified it's a closed loop with Victoria as the PVSA-compliance stop, you're good with a driving license/birth cert combo as your minimum required docs.

If you decided to take a one-way cruise from Anchorage to Vancouver, we'd even let you in - but you'd have to have a good story as to how you planned to get back to the USA, since even US citizens now require a passport or other WHTI compliant doc to reenter the USA after leaving. The Closed Loop exemption to the WHTI docs requirement is because of this issue - it was lobbied for to enable the cruise industry to keep selling product to those folks who aren't willing to acquire a passport (still the overwhelming majority of US citizens).

If, for example, you found that you'd left your passport at home when you got to the cruise port in Seward, you could cruise anyway, enter Canada, when asked about how you intend to get back to the USA inform CBSA that your family have mailed your passport ahead of you to your Vancouver hotel.

Thank you , this is exactly what I couldn't find.

No, you wouldn't need the passport if you didn't take the one particular excursion. I haven't done it myself, but I think it was a railway tour into the Yukon, and you need a passport for that, since it is open to non-cruise passengers as well, and is a normal land crossing point.

???? To enter Canada via land, you need a passport book or card. As if you are in Alaska and want to take a train that goes into Canada. Entering by sea on a cruise is a whole different thing.

So if you start an excursion in the US and stay in the US you don't need anything. If you start an excursion in Canada and stay in Canada you don't need more than what you needed to board the cruise.

???? To enter Canada via land, you need a passport book or card. As if you are in Alaska and want to take a train that goes into Canada. Entering by sea on a cruise is a whole different thing.

So if you start an excursion in the US and stay in the US you don't need anything. If you start an excursion in Canada and stay in Canada you don't need more than what you needed to board the cruise.

Aside from the special case of Closed Loop cruising, the rules are the same whether it's land or sea arrival into Canada and passports are still not required for either. Both countries do the same - slightly different requirements for entry by air, but lump together land and sea arrivals because the rules are the same for both methods.

Because some White Pass excursions do cross out of the US, but others do not (usually those termed 'summit' train rides) it's very possible for someone to be on an RT Seattle cruise, not need WHTI-compliant docs for their cruise stop(s) in Canada, but need them for a day-trip over into Canada from Skagway.

NB: again, WHTI docs are NOT a Canadian requirement, but a US requirement for REentry on these trips. DL/BC combo is still just fine to prove citizenship and identity to Canadian authorities - but since you must have WHTI-compliant docs to get back into the US again, literally every tour provider of these daytrips requires you to have an appropriate ID from the WHTI list - which includes several non-passport options.

Passports are not even need to FLY into Canada if you have NEXUS and arrive in an airport with kiosks (i.e. every major Canadian airport). Passports are great, they're definitely a good thing to have even when not needed for your expected travel needs, and I always recommend anyone to get one for every country they have citizenship of - but for those who are willing to accept that small risk of delay while not being able to fly home in unexpected circumstances, certainly not required.

Yes, I know it's their policy. Reading it to me after I've read it 15 times already as well as the us and Canadian customs sites and am looking for clarification of the stated policy is not helpful. I do get that it's for liability reasons but I'm just trying to clarify that Canada is not one of the places mentioned on the site that may require a passport as I couldn't verify that anywhere else.

I still don't understand what part of it isn't clear and what you need clarification about.

"If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you must carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, a U.S. Permanent Resident Card, or a Certificate of Indian Status along with photo identification. If you are a U.S. permanent resident, ensure you carry proof of your status such as a U.S. Permanent Resident Card."

Passports are not even need to FLY into Canada if you have NEXUS and arrive in an airport with kiosks (i.e. every major Canadian airport). Passports are great, they're definitely a good thing to have even when not needed for your expected travel needs, and I always recommend anyone to get one for every country they have citizenship of - but for those who are willing to accept that small risk of delay while not being able to fly home in unexpected circumstances, certainly not required.

Passports are required by the airline to check in. They don't want to see your NEXUS card.

I would take it just in case. I went to Canada on a school trip and one of our five busses got stopped at the border because another student's passport wound up on another bus (not mine!). We were then stopped so they could find the misplaced passport. Good thing they found it, otherwise we wouldn't have been able to go!

Passports are required by the airline to check in. They don't want to see your NEXUS card.

Except they aren't always, and all the airline staff I've dealt with have been perfectly willing to see my NEXUS card at check-in. We almost always fly Star Alliance, but I've also flown on a codeshare Delta/WJ using my NEXUS (though I can't recall whose plane it was). I do still take my passport when I'm flying - don't want to get into bad habits of heading to the airport without it in case I forget it when I'm traveling outside US/Canada - but I've literally never been asked for it after showing my NEXUS at check-in for flights between US & Canada.

If you check the official government links already posted above, you'll find that NEXUS is in fact valid, all on its own, for flights into Canada from the US and vice versa. Some airlines do set their own criteria above & beyond the governmental rules, just as some cruiselines demand passports for all even if not required - but the default is that it's valid as witnessed by a news story from last summer when a Porter customer was refused boarding en route to Toronto (and since he was able to buy a ticket on a different airline with just NEXUS, plus Porter refunded him and gave additional compensation, it would seem that most folks in the trade agree it should have been good enough).

literally every tour provider of these daytrips requires you to have an appropriate ID from the WHTI list - which includes several non-passport options.

And they do this to prevent being fined for carrying customers who have insufficient documentation.

Another acceptable document that hasn't been mentioned because only a handful of states issue them is the Enhanced Drivers License, which may be used at land border crossings between the US and Canada (we'll be using ours next week to drive up to Montreal).

And they do this to prevent being fined for carrying customers who have insufficient documentation.

Another acceptable document that hasn't been mentioned because only a handful of states issue them is the Enhanced Drivers License, which may be used at land border crossings between the US and Canada (we'll be using ours next week to drive up to Montreal).

I think it hasn't been mentioned because it doesn't apply to the OP's situation, LOL.

I think it hasn't been mentioned because it doesn't apply to the OP's situation, LOL.

LOL, neither did many of the other answers, particularly the ones talking about excursions into Canada which is what I was responding to and since the OP hails from the Pacific Northwest (at least that is my presumption) OP could possibly live in one of the few states that has an EDL.

• 2 weeks later...

OP: for all this back and forth and yes/no/maybe dialogue, your precious time could've been better spent filling out passport applications. Costing less than $1/month for its useful 10 year life, you'll be spared the uncertainty AND you'll always be prepared to take advantage of any last minute international travel deals you may find.