Where are the Nikon Enthusiasts??

I have one similar, assuming same format its manual focus which can be interesting on a moving target at max range. Works great on a tripod tho for astronomy, etc.

I also found a 500mm mirror for $93. (NOT A TYPO!) The reviews boil down to "pretty good for the price." I'll probably get that too. Then I'll need a new camera bag because all these lenses won't fit in my current one ... lol

Too bad we won't be on the same cruise, we could get different lenses and try each other's!

The 500mm is definitely manual focus and I don't know how to tell whether I'd also have to set aperture and shutter speed. the last time I had to set those manually, the Nikkormat had a meter in the viewfinder. I don't know if these fancy new DSLRs have meters to tell me whether I'm under or overexposing. I'm still wading through the manual but finding a specific piece of information is almost impossible!

I feel so crippled. I'm normally a very decisive person but there are so many lens options and they all have good and bad points. Plus I started shopping for a larger camera bag and having the same problem with them!

The 500mm is definitely manual focus and I don't know how to tell whether I'd also have to set aperture and shutter speed. the last time I had to set those manually, the Nikkormat had a meter in the viewfinder. I don't know if these fancy new DSLRs have meters to tell me whether I'm under or overexposing. I'm still wading through the manual but finding a specific piece of information is almost impossible!

I feel so crippled. I'm normally a very decisive person but there are so many lens options and they all have good and bad points. Plus I started shopping for a larger camera bag and having the same problem with them!

I'm not very familiar with your D3400. But if it similar to my Nikon DSLRs in basic function, you will not have any kind of metering through the lens with a completely manual lens.

My advice, if you decide on the 500 is to take it out and use it.

Check your photos on the LCD and adjust accordingly. Take note of light conditions and the exposure settings of the good photos. Over time you will figure out the base line for that lens and adjustments will become easier.

Some people ridicule "chimping". But when learning how to use new gear, sometimes there is no better way.

Another option, if you opt for the 18-300 DX, (I have one and it's a fine walk around lens) consider a tele-converter to extend the long end of the zoom. Takes up less room in your bag. Probably will give you better results than an in-expensive mirror lens.

Mark

Thanks for the response. I don't know if I'm willing to risk once-in-a-lifetime shots on a guess as to what settings will work. I'll have to think about that.

I've used a teleconverter before but not with the fancy new camera. Does it work with the auto settings?

Thanks for the response. I don't know if I'm willing to risk once-in-a-lifetime shots on a guess as to what settings will work. I'll have to think about that.

I've used a teleconverter before but not with the fancy new camera. Does it work with the auto settings?

Most of the "new era" teleconverters will transfer the lens data and auto focus to the camera. Just look for one for Nikon. It should have all of the Nikon data contacts.

Do some research on the used camera sites. You usually can find good deals on used converters.

Mark

Thanks for the responses. I know I want at least 300 so I guess I'll waffle for a while between the Tamron and the Nikon.

Here is an example of the reach a 300 zoom will give you.

This is shot at 58mm

29272282131_e330b7c6fc_b.jpg

Same location, shot at 300mm

28727757104_75cc1e31fa_b.jpg

These were shot with a D7200 using the Nikon 18.0-300.0 mm f/3.5-6.3.

Mark

Thanks for the pix, my husband has been asking what benefit this lens will give me and I couldn't really quantify it for him. These pix really are worth 1000 words! It also crystallized in my mind that I will need something longer for the Alaska trip, either the 500mm or a 2x converter.

For Denali, I would have the 500, for everything else the 300 will probably be sufficient, the 2x a huge help (for Denali, knowing and having what I do now, I would double body with the 18-300 and the 500 if the space permitted.)

Thanks for the pix, my husband has been asking what benefit this lens will give me and I couldn't really quantify it for him. These pix really are worth 1000 words! It also crystallized in my mind that I will need something longer for the Alaska trip, either the 500mm or a 2x converter.

I'm a Nikon shooter, so *high five*.

As for me, I'm on vacation. I'm not hauling a boatload of equipment with me (pun intended) on vacation. For one thing, I plan on climbing Myan ruins and at my age, I don't need to be carrying 20 pounds of lenses and assorted goodies with me. I just want some clear, in-focus, higher MP shots as a reminder of my journey.

To that end, I've chosen a *point,pull and pray* Sony (I know, the horror!) DSC-HX 50V/B with a 20.4 MP and 30x optical zoom. I'll be creating a book afterwards, not making Cistine Chapel size prints to hang on my wall, so this little guy ought to get me through without my daughter having to call LifeFlight to helicopter me out of the jungle because I've collapsed from lugging all that equipment around on a blistering hot outing. :)

• Like 1

I just bring my d5600 with my 16-80 and new af-p 70-300. It's light enough for this old 60 year old buzzard. No P&S cameras for me. Too many missed out of focus and noisy pictures with cheap P&S cameras.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm in a somewhat unique situation for our upcoming Alaska cruise. I'll be shooting a lot from the ship (probably from our aft balcony) so a heavy lens that requires some fussing isn't impossible - I'll set it up on the tripod ahead of time and pretty much be able to point-and-shoot. But I'll also be doing some excursions, and for those, I definitely don't want to be weighed down with tons of equipment! My camera, the 18-300 lens (probably won't even need the 2x), and a spare battery and memory card are all I want to fuss with.

robjan, what about a not-cheap P&S? Before I bought the D3400, I used a Nikon Coolpix L840. My husband (once he stopped whining about me spending over $200 for a camera) fell in love with the 20x optical zoom and has taken some great moon pictures with it. In fact, when we talked about me buying the D3400, he started to think he should have a new camera for Alaska too (his old $60 P&S was falling apart). When I asked if he wanted the Coolpix, he jumped at it. It really is a good camera, I just wanted the flexibility of being able to change lenses.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering how everyone will handle the possible new travel restrictions on electronics on international flights entering the U.S? No official announce the but I heard on the news a new restriction is being considered. The update will be all electronics may be banned from international flights. They will need to be put into checked luggage.

I don't feel comfortable putting expensive camera equipment in a checked luggage. Bags are not handled with care and the equipment will make a bag heavy. Definitely close (if not over) the 50 pound max.

What will others do?

Honestly, I have no idea what I am going to do for an upcoming European trip. One option might be just to take my sony a6000 but that's not what I WANT to do.

I understand the concern behind the potential ban, but honestly I think it will create more problems than it solves.

I'm wondering how everyone will handle the possible new travel restrictions on electronics on international flights entering the U.S? No official announce the but I heard on the news a new restriction is being considered. The update will be all electronics may be banned from international flights. They will need to be put into checked luggage.

I don't feel comfortable putting expensive camera equipment in a checked luggage. Bags are not handled with care and the equipment will make a bag heavy. Definitely close (if not over) the 50 pound max.

What will others do?

For Alaska (and sailing out of Seattle, which is a 40-minute drive for us, no flying), I roll with a 600/4 (plus 1.4x TC), 100-400, 24-70, and 14/2.8 on three full-frame Canon cameras. I have a vest/belt combo with a pouch to hold the 14, a double strap to hold the camera with 24-70 and the 100-400 with camera, and I put the 600 on a monopod with 1.4x TC and camera. Lens caps are off before I leave the cabin, so at most I have to extend the monopod and I'm ready to shoot.

For those flying internationally, my personal opinion is that your gear should be in a case that can handle airline luggage handlers already, and it should be insured for theft and damage. You could also (if cruising round-trip) rent comparable gear and have it shipped to FedEx Office near the port/hotel/airport, and avoid traveling with your gear altogether.

I have the case in question, the problem is with luggage restrictions that can get expensive. And while I can rent I prefer to work with my own equipment with which I am familiar.

Normally I would use a Pelican carry on size but if the ban happens as is, that won't even be an option.

For Alaska (and sailing out of Seattle, which is a 40-minute drive for us, no flying), I roll with a 600/4 (plus 1.4x TC), 100-400, 24-70, and 14/2.8 on three full-frame Canon cameras. I have a vest/belt combo with a pouch to hold the 14, a double strap to hold the camera with 24-70 and the 100-400 with camera, and I put the 600 on a monopod with 1.4x TC and camera. Lens caps are off before I leave the cabin, so at most I have to extend the monopod and I'm ready to shoot.

For those flying internationally, my personal opinion is that your gear should be in a case that can handle airline luggage handlers already, and it should be insured for theft and damage. You could also (if cruising round-trip) rent comparable gear and have it shipped to FedEx Office near the port/hotel/airport, and avoid traveling with your gear altogether.

What will others do?

Simple answer....wait until something is official before getting all worked up over what might, could possibly maybe happen. (saying this as someone who commented in another thread on this subject. :rolleyes:). It is one thing to implement this on a "few" middle eastern airports, this possible ban would effect business travelers going to/from major business cites in the US and Europe. Once the big money of business (and this administration, if nothing else, has shown how much it favors business over everyone else) start complaining I suspect it will quietly go away and some "extra screening" will take it's place.

With 90 replies to your original message, your questions have been well answered. As for looking for Nikon enthusiasts, there are plenty of us. When I got into the photography business over 20 years ago, everyone in automotive print publishing that I worked with used Nikon. So when I upgraded, I followed suit. It's more of a Chevy-Ford-Dodge debate when choosing Nikon, Canon, Sony, etc. I chose Nikon because other photographers had Nikon. Now with a small fortune invested in Nikon gear, I would be foolish to change.

Now 20 years later, I still have 3 digital camera bodies, about 10 lenses, tons of Nikon accessories and the experience and knowledge of how to get the shot in my "mind's eye." Photography is a terrific hobby. I wish you the best of luck!

And while I can rent I prefer to work with my own equipment with which I am familiar.

Rent the same gear that you own. That way you'll be familiar with it.

And before someone writes the inevitable "I have all my settings exactly how I want them", I'll head that one off at the pass: you should be able to recreate your settings on a replacement camera, should yours get stolen or broken. Heck, starting from factory fresh could actually be good for a bunch of people who many have inadvertently changed a setting for no good reason, and now at least they can see the defaults for that setting.

Considering that photographic equipment is excluded from ANY liability for damage or loss by most carriers, the exclusion of photo equipment from carry-ons will eliminate much of the world from my vacation plans.

EXCLUSIONS: UA shall not be liable for the loss of, damage to or delay in delivery of any of the following:

a. Antiques, artifacts, collectibles, religious items;

b. Antlers

x. Photographic/cinematographic/audio/video equipment, cameras and related items

y. Precious metals/stones

etc.

American won't accept liability for checking Photo equipment but will let you buy a seat for your high-value items. This goes out the window with the ban.

Delta: Precious or other highly valuable items, including without limitation cash, cash equivalents, securities, negotiable instruments, irreplaceable documents, jewelry, silverware, precious metals, works of art, computers, electronic equipment, photographic equipment, and any other items that cannot be easily replaced if lost or damaged may not be transported in checked baggage.

I'm sure some sort of pre-check or another inconvenient process will eventually be put in place but this doesn't bode well for photo tourism.

Dave

Thank you for all the replies and pictures in this thread whether Nikon related or not. I refer back to it often for information. Photography is still a hobby for me but I enjoy taking pictures and reliving my vacation through pictures when I get home. As such, taking pictures is a big part of my vacation. Although no restrictions for European travel has been mandated, I'm concerned that it is a possibility. Of course, I'm not worked up on a possibility. I was just curious how others would handle the situation if it happened. Mostly for ideas from more experienced photographers.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the Nikon 18-300 zoom for my D3400 just before we left, and I was SO glad I did! It wound up being my default lens for most of the trip because I never knew whether I'd be shooting a gull a few meters from the ship or a glacier miles away, and it handled both (and everything in between) painlessly. I'm looking forward to using it for landscape photography at home as well - often the shot I see in my head is a small part of the overall view.

I bought the Nikon 18-300 zoom for my D3400 just before we left, and I was SO glad I did! It wound up being my default lens for most of the trip because I never knew whether I'd be shooting a gull a few meters from the ship or a glacier miles away, and it handled both (and everything in between) painlessly. I'm looking forward to using it for landscape photography at home as well - often the shot I see in my head is a small part of the overall view.

Mamasylvia thank you for posting this. I bought my Nikon 18-300 zoom just last week and I am looking forward to using in Alaska in 4 weeks.

Julie

So, since this is the Nikon "love" thread, a little ribbing from a m43 shooter:

A man walks into a photography shop and asks for a lens cap for a Nikon. The chap behind the counter says “seems like a fair swap to me”.

• Like 1

<swats Karen on the nose with a rolled-up newspaper>

Julie, I'm sure you know this, but play around with your new lens before you go to Alaska. You don't want to miss a shot because you can't get the lens to zoom right!