Port of San Juan now open during daylight hours!

Atocha Shipwreck Gal

This is the port itself, not the cruise port. In other words, it's possible to reach land from the ocean. The condition of that land is not covered.

TRUE.

This port will be more than busy just trying to supply the vast amount of food the people will need to live on. Their crops are for the most part destroyed and must be replaced from other areas. Electric service materials, from poles to cable to just the tools and equipment needed to begin rewiring the country and getting its generation systems running will be along with food and other basics keeping the commercial port working around the clock for a very long time. The cruise port will come once living conditions are restored and that will be a long time.

bosco

I think it won't be until at least early 2018 before the cruise ships can return. There is still a lot of clean up from what I saw on the news.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the Seas is homeported out of San Juan. Disembarking at Port Everglades today but plan to resume service out of San Juan on Wednesday!

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forums mobile app

Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the Seas is homeported out of San Juan. Disembarking at Port Everglades today but plan to resume service out of San Juan on Wednesday!

For anyone that has flown to and from cruises out of San Juan, imagine trying to just get to the port or to the airport. There is no electricity, no traffic lights, roads still clogged with what were houses, businesses, trees and damaged cars and other debris.

We've done it a few times and with everything working it has always been sort of a thrill ride.. LOL

bosco

For anyone that has flown to and from cruises out of San Juan, imagine trying to just get to the port or to the airport. There is no electricity, no traffic lights, roads still clogged with what were houses, businesses, trees and damaged cars and other debris.

We've done it a few times and with everything working it has always been sort of a thrill ride.. LOL

bosco

Just quoting the Royal Caribbean web site. I personally think they should home port the Adventure OTS out of Port Everglades for the next few months!

Just quoting the Royal Caribbean web site. I personally think they should home port the Adventure OTS out of Port Everglades for the next few months!

They probably don't want to pay for Port Everglades when they probably have a contract with Port of San Juan. And if they stay in Port Everglades don't they have to pay for everyone's flight change fee? Now they don't.

They probably don't want to pay for Port Everglades when they probably have a contract with Port of San Juan. And if they stay in Port Everglades don't they have to pay for everyone's flight change fee? Now they don't.

Even if they have the contract with San Juan, I doubt they will still cruise out of there. Those ports would best be used with bringing in much needed supplies. Most if not all of the country has no power and it will take a long time for them to get it restored. Generators are the only power being used. Most of the shops and hotels have been severely damaged. Also, having several thousand people come in to SJ only adds to the very damaged infrastructure which isn't good. Tourist $$ coming in is much needed, but I just don't think it will happen soon.

TRUE.

This port will be more than busy just trying to supply the vast amount of food the people will need to live on. Their crops are for the most part destroyed and must be replaced from other areas. Electric service materials, from poles to cable to just the tools and equipment needed to begin rewiring the country and getting its generation systems running will be along with food and other basics keeping the commercial port working around the clock for a very long time. The cruise port will come once living conditions are restored and that will be a long time.

bosco

So eloquently said and right on target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah right. That's what they announced. A 7 day cruise is now a three day cruise, with 60% future cruise credit. Or you can cancel and we will give 100% future cruise credit.

Yes they are going back to San Juan with humanitarian aid and Local passengers.

They just don't want to cancel cruises and refund money. Don't blame them, if they can get away with it.

The current conditions of the island at this point are undesirable at best. Tourists are stranded and can't get back to the mainland. Maybe in a couple more weeks, but now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting this. So does this mean that we are going back to Puerto Rico now instead of the Bahamas? It seems like there is a change in our itinerary almost every day. I can't imagine how the cruise lines are handling all of this.

My cruise moved PR to Punta Cana and back to PR yesterday. I sail on Nov 19 on the Silhouette

Yes as noted by another poster the 3 day Royal Cruise scheduled to leave from San Juan has in fact been cancelled.

After a phone conversation with CC reps in the call centre in Wichita Celebrity has sent a team to San Juan to assess the situation. Should it not be viable to use the pier apparently there is talk of the ship sailing from somewhere in Florida. Of course all of this is speculation. There is still no word if the repo will go to San Juan and drop off supplies, etc.

Celebrity rep says they hope to advise later this week what will be happening.

This is a difficult situation for all, especially the juggling of ships and different ports.

Guess all we can do is show some patience and hope to hear soon.

As has been pointed out by many this in no way takes away from the pain and suffering that thousands are enduring due to Mother Nature. Our hearts (and wallet) go out to them all.

There are over three and a half million people that have to be supplied with almost all of the barest needs just to survive. What food there was is gone, their crops are pretty much destroyed, there is and won't be for a while any power, they have no refrigeration, a major portion of their vehicles have been put out of order. Their ports are not now or for a long time going to be used for anything but accepting needed supplies.

I hope and pray that I am wrong and that the healing for the island and the people who are in such dire straits goes as rapidly as possible.

bosco

I think it won't be until at least early 2018 before the cruise ships can return. There is still a lot of clean up from what I saw on the news.

Posted itinerary changes through the end of 2017 are a mixed bag but still include stops at San Juan and St Thomas with St Maarten and Antigua replaced mostly with St Kitts. Still very fluid, of course.

FYI, at the moment the airport is not open for commercial flights. With no electricity and a lot of damage to ATC systems there is no way the airport can operate. They are struggling to just get relief flights. The military has stepped in and brought in their own ATC system so these life saving flights can get in and out.

The following has been garnered from all the various news reports and reports in some of the print media for TODAY September 25, 2017

The airport is running on generators and using radar supplied by the Military, the roads are slowly being cleared of trees, damaged vehicles, wrecked houses even boats litter almost every road. Roads in the hilly areas are washed away. .

Over 80% of their entire agricultural food production is destroyed. They are running out of food. If and when the power is returned the refrigeration systems and the restaurants and bars they are in were almost totally destroyed. A large percentage of their cars, vans, cabs, trucks and other equipment has been ruined.

There is currently an Air-Bridge delivering around the clock plane loads of food, water and needed equipment from an air field (could be in Georgia) in the U.S.

Hospitals are operating with emergency generators and fuel is in short supply. People are waiting for hours to get a few gallons of gas to run small generators. People are waiting in their cars for hours in lines to get to where their cells will connect with one of the only working cell towers.

The ports will be too busy trying to get enough food water and other supplies needed just for the people to keep from starving and getting a roof over their heads and some power. There are about 3.5 MILLION people that are in dire straits and having tourists is probably very low on their list of priorities.

Imagine the job of just feeding 3.5 million people. The foods they get must for the most part be ready to eat, do not need to be reconstituted and due to the lack of refrigeration non-perishable.

This is a humanitarian disaster and unlike Texas and Florida there are no roads to bring in millions of board feet of lumber, nails, plywood, hundreds of utility trucks, poles, high tension towers, lines, cable, transformers and the hundreds of skilled linesmen they will need to complete even just the basic power frame work and then start rewiring the homes and businesses as they are ready to be put on line...

Everything the people of Puerto Rico need to survive, to eventually get their lives back together along with everything the entire island needs to rebuild itself on what is now almost a bare slate must come in on ships and I am afraid the ports are not and will be for a long time not preparing to recieve tourists.

As much as the Puerto Ricans may need the tourist money coming in - all they need now is curious deaster tourits. I feel sorry for those who have to change cruise plans, flight planes etc. Anyhow nobody should forget that PR is struggling to get to their feet again. Contract or no contract- I don´t see how Adventure will sail out of PR soon.

Just watched interview with PR governor at SJU. Thousands of people waiting over a day for chance to fly out. No food and everyone fanning themselves (very hot, no a/c, no open windows). Communications poor, governor learned of airport food issue from tv. Poor guy trying hard but many problems, few resources

Food coming in to island by ship, but only 400k / 3.4mm Puerto Ricans live in San Juan. With many interior roads impassible very difficult to get supplies to where they're needed.

I surely can't see how the Summit will be docking in and out of PR in October as the revised itineraries say. They have changed to ports of St. Thomas and St. Martin but still list the ship in PR. I hope for the sake of PR as speedy a recovery as possible, but a cruise ship with 2,000 passengers coming and going seems impossible with the current state of affairs and the amount of relief needed on that heavily devastated island. There are no hotels functioning that aren't filled with relief personnel and they can't evacuate the people who need it let alone bring in cruise passengers who will then need transportation to the cruise port at a bare minimum.

We are on the Summit with a 11/11 departure date leaving from PR. I don't want to go to San Juan anymore. Wonder what recourse we have?

I know we should call Celebrity, but I don't want to be aggravated at this point, I am guessing they won't commit to anything 45 days out. We are just far enough away to not get a definite answer.

I know this is unprecedented, and as was mentioned above, it seems impossible to arrive in PR and safely depart the following day. :(

Edited by Mrs. Nic
additional remarks