Is anything left of the Antilles wreck?

Antilles06.jpg

As some of you may know, the French Line Antilles wrecked of the island of Mustique in '71 (just short of 20 years of service, she was launched in '51. maiden voyage in '52).

Does anyone know if there is anything left of her wreck?

GREAT QUESTION!!! As I recall...she sank off the reef she hit...so she should be at the bottom of the sea...how deep...I do not recall. I actually talked to a man who had been on her when she sank. Roger was our table captain onboard the France in 1973 and he told me how much he loved that ship and felt the loss. I will try an look it up for you.

Ross

• 3 weeks later...

Many years ago now National Geographic did an article about the islands and had a picture of the Antilles' hulk in it. She was sitting on a reef with her back broken and by the time was picture was taken she was a rusty hulk. I am sure if you hunt you can find the issue of the magazine. I have not been in the area in years but I would suspect by know she is gone, but if you went there you might find something but not much.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
Many years ago now National Geographic did an article about the islands and had a picture of the Antilles' hulk in it. She was sitting on a reef with her back broken and by the time was picture was taken she was a rusty hulk. I am sure if you hunt you can find the issue of the magazine. I have not been in the area in years but I would suspect by know she is gone, but if you went there you might find something but not much.

I have a photograph of the Antilles wreck which I took in 1988 from Mustique with the island of Bequia in the background. She gradually disappeared from view over the following years. Locals tell me that she burnt for months after being grounded after she had caught fire. Two locals who managed to board her got to the pursers office and retrieved a safe. Sadly all the contents were charred when they finally managed to open it. teesmith55

Edited by teesmith55

• 7 years later...

The original link posted above for the Simply Scuba article is no longer valid. Here is the newer correct link https://www.simplyscuba.com/docs/Shipwrecks-ANTILLES.aspx

I notice in the article's "Location" it incorrectly lists the Antilles as being in Malta; however, the text of the article under "Full Review" correctly lists Mustique.

My Mom and her family were frequent passengers on the Antilles in the 1960s.

• 3 years later...