First cruise to alaska--questions galore!

SuzieQ521

Excursions now have a 48 hour before arrival in port cancellation policy. And we ended up eating the cost of the shore excursion in Ketchikan because they were closed in Ketchikan. Royal Caribbean did warn us of that in the paperwork, but we forgot.
Could you please explain this a bit more? If they're closed, then you didn't cancel - they did - or am I misunderstanding?

Dyea Dave (sp) did a great bus tour we enjoyed that more than the train. For really good pictures you have to get on the outside platform and it's jammed. Didn't think the view from the windows inside the cars was spectacular. Well worth doing, but enjoyed the bus and the scenery more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

Just wanted to jump in, in case you were getting too concerned. We have done 2 Alaska cruises, in mid and in late September. We had no rain and amazing weather the whole trip for one, and 1 day of light rain plus one day of drizzle during the other. Both were amazing cruises, my favorites ever. The cruise out of Seattle was rougher than the one out of Vancouver, but not too bad, and only while we were sleeping. I like a rocking ship though!

The worst day, and it was still great, was when I realized my jacket was water repellant, not water proof, when the rain hit at Mendenhall. I was soaked through by the time we got back to the ship. I have a new jacket now, and will be going on my 3rd Alaska cruise the end of August this year. Be prepared clothing wise and it will be great.

Just wanted to jump in, in case you were getting too concerned. We have done 2 Alaska cruises, in mid and in late September. We had no rain and amazing weather the whole trip for one, and 1 day of light rain plus one day of drizzle during the other. Both were amazing cruises, my favorites ever. The cruise out of Seattle was rougher than the one out of Vancouver, but not too bad, and only while we were sleeping. I like a rocking ship though!

The worst day, and it was still great, was when I realized my jacket was water repellant, not water proof, when the rain hit at Mendenhall. I was soaked through by the time we got back to the ship. I have a new jacket now, and will be going on my 3rd Alaska cruise the end of August this year. Be prepared clothing wise and it will be great.

Thank you so much for the reassurance! I guess all we can do is be prepared for the elements...with a water proof jacket!

Hello,

RE: Skagway, I think I narrowed it down to wanting to do a one way bus/train Yukon-White pass excursion but trying to figure out which tour to go with:

1) Princess tour: this is the most expensive at about $200/pp, including lunch. However, it would appear that they use a bigger bus and would have more people on this tour?

2) Dyea Dave--I was leaning towards this one; it would be about $165 if we did the bus/train combo. Does not include lunch.

3) Chilkoot Charters--this is appealing as well; $186, with lunch and free admission to pet the husky puppies.

Any input about Dyea Dave vs. Chilkoot? I do like that Chilkoot guarantees our arrival back at the port but also heard great things about Dyea. Chilkoot also has a money-back guarantee if our ship does not make it to port for whatever reason (i.e. bad weather). I know Dyea does not get paid until after the tour.

Also--any recommendations as to bus or rail first, i.e. foggier in the morning so go with bus first?

Thanks!

We did the tour with Chillkoot. We wanted to take the train back and didn't want to have to schedule it ourselves, Chillkoot includes it. The lunch was good and the puppies were cute! We did the bus first for two reasons 1) in case there was fog, we would be able to get out and still see things in the morning and 2) we wanted to just relax on the train back after a full day. But you can easily do it in the reverse.

Dyea Dave is also a popular vendor here with great reviews.

Skagway was the one port where we did not take a ship excursion as we had a long port day and knew either of these reputable vendors would have us back to the ship on time.

Hello,

RE: Skagway, I think I narrowed it down to wanting to do a one way bus/train Yukon-White pass excursion but trying to figure out which tour to go with:

1) Princess tour: this is the most expensive at about $200/pp, including lunch. However, it would appear that they use a bigger bus and would have more people on this tour?

2) Dyea Dave--I was leaning towards this one; it would be about $165 if we did the bus/train combo. Does not include lunch.

3) Chilkoot Charters--this is appealing as well; $186, with lunch and free admission to pet the husky puppies.

Any input about Dyea Dave vs. Chilkoot? I do like that Chilkoot guarantees our arrival back at the port but also heard great things about Dyea. Chilkoot also has a money-back guarantee if our ship does not make it to port for whatever reason (i.e. bad weather). I know Dyea does not get paid until after the tour.

Also--any recommendations as to bus or rail first, i.e. foggier in the morning so go with bus first?

Thanks!

We used Chilkoot on the recommendation of a couple of friends. We did the 8:30 bus up and train back. We added on the sled dog ride but would not pay the $ to add it on again. (This was optional. About 30% of our bus did it and the rest did not.) It was an amazing day. Our guide/driver was probably one of the best we have ever had on any excursion. The "small" bus was nice and she kept us on schedule so that we "beat the tourists" to each location. The lunch was tasty (BBQ chicken thigh, 1/2 baked potato, yummmy cole slaw, roll, butter, donuts, coffee, tea). The "taxidermy museum" at the lunch stop was the highlight of the day for a couple of our group. My DH got inside the gate and played with the Husky pups. I have raved about Chilkoot in my review here on CC and also on TA. We would definitely use them again if we were in the area!

LOVED Dyea Dave -- he's quirky and fun, as are his other tour guides. You're right, there's no lunch included, but you will stop in Carcross, Yukon. Have lunch at Caribou Crossing Coffee -- the scones come highly recommended.

We had lunch, but it was on a round trip. We had done the round trip train the first time. Dyea Dave is very good and the lunch was up where the Huskies and a museum are.We wennt to train station and bought our own tickets. If weather is awful...well, you can decide at the time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

Thanks for all the responses.

I contacted both Dyea Dave and Chilkoot tours re: Emerald Lake/Yukon rail-bus excursions. Both were very nice and responsive and still have some available space for mid-September. I should make a decision within the next couple of days though.

What appeals to me about Dyea Dave is not paying until the end of tour (in case weather is really bad, that would help). Kathy the rep though suggested that we buy our return rail tickets ahead of time though as there will be 4 ships in port that day. It seems kind of crazy to spend another $170 (for 2 people) for the return RR tickets since the cost of the return ride is already included with Dyea Dave but we want to try the rail at least one way and may never be back in Skagway again. Does anyone know if Dyea Dave includes a stop to pet the husky puppies, like Chilkoot? Also--would we buy the Fraser one way train service...is that the correct one?

Chilkoot says they operate in rain or shine...so if the weather is bad, then we are still stuck with them (only refundable if ship does not make it to port or is very late). Also trying to justify the additional $20 pp for the BBQ lunch, as compared with Dyea Dave (where we would have to buy our own food).

Maybe I'll just flip a coin! haha.

Thanks!

Thanks all for the responses thus far. I'm getting a little nervous about the potential for a really bad storm now (although this was the only time that worked with our schedule); I had thought the inside passage cruise might be a little better weather-wise than the areas closer to the Gulf of Alaska...it would be a bummer if we missed Glacier Bay.

I would think that if it was really that bad (i.e. hurricane-like storms with heavy winds) the cruise-ships would not schedule all the way out until the end of September year after year. Last year's mid-September weather looked ok... But I guess you never know with Alaska weather!

Thank you for the advice on MENDENHALL--so once we disembark, we can just pick up a shuttle that will take us to there and we can just do our own tour? How often do the shuttles leave to go back to town/port?

Attire: We did a RT out of Seattle in May which is the first trip of the season and we wore the North Face waterproof, windbreaker jackets which are super easy to pack (no liners). We layered over Columbia fleece vests or jackets (which also pack great in the plastic bags that decompress) and wore what was necessary for the day. I bought some waterproof boots, by AHNU, (very lightweight ones) that were great for hiking around the Mendenhall Glacier area and waterfalls (you'll want to go under the falls). I paid 1/2 the regular price on eBay and they were worth it in multiple places on the cruise. I still wear them in what we call cold weather in Alabama! Other than that, jeans and long sleeve Under Armour style 'warm' shirts were great under tees or shirts.

Juneau: Best thing is to take the Blue Bus up to the glacier on your own. It's lots cheaper and just as quick. Just be sure you allow for getting the return bus so you're not late for sailing. As others said, do the salmon on board! Most of the cruise lines only allow for 30-60 minutes at the visitors center at the glacier (which you have to PAY to go in!!) and you don't have time to walk down to the waterfall and see the glacier up close. You must do that! Check for more info about all these places on Trip Advisor, it has great info.

Skagway: We paid the $131 dollars for the combo trip thru the cruise line and it was our favorite excursion. The train ride up is magnificent, you can stand between the cars and get fabulous pictures. Emerald Lake is at the top in the YUKON and it's amazing. We rode the bus down and the driver was quite entertaining and we stopped for lunch at a cool place that trained sled dogs and entertained us while we were there.

Just enjoy the adventure, pack your layers, and tell your husband he needs that waterproof jacket! We got soaked at Mendenhall but weren't too miserable because of our jackets and boots!

I contacted both Dyea Dave and Chilkoot tours re: Emerald Lake/Yukon rail-bus excursions. Both were very nice and responsive and still have some available space for mid-September. I should make a decision within the next couple of days though.

What appeals to me about Dyea Dave is not paying until the end of tour (in case weather is really bad, that would help). Kathy the rep though suggested that we buy our return rail tickets ahead of time though as there will be 4 ships in port that day. It seems kind of crazy to spend another $170 (for 2 people) for the return RR tickets since the cost of the return ride is already included with Dyea Dave but we want to try the rail at least one way and may never be back in Skagway again. Does anyone know if Dyea Dave includes a stop to pet the husky puppies, like Chilkoot? Also--would we buy the Fraser one way train service...is that the correct one?

Chilkoot says they operate in rain or shine...so if the weather is bad, then we are still stuck with them (only refundable if ship does not make it to port or is very late). Also trying to justify the additional $20 pp for the BBQ lunch, as compared with Dyea Dave (where we would have to buy our own food).

Thanks!

Have you thought about renting a car in town and doing your own tour? You can stop at the husky pups and Emerald lake and you're on your own time and not other people's also. That's what we plan on doing next year. I think car rentals through Avis (pretty close to the ship dock) was $140 for the day. We're going with another couple so this option was a lot cheaper and easier for us. We plan on stopping at the suspension bridge also!

Have you thought about renting a car in town and doing your own tour? You can stop at the husky pups and Emerald lake and you're on your own time and not other people's also. That's what we plan on doing next year. I think car rentals through Avis (pretty close to the ship dock) was $140 for the day. We're going with another couple so this option was a lot cheaper and easier for us. We plan on stopping at the suspension bridge also!

We talked about that for our trip a few weeks ago. We decided against and went with Chilkoot. So glad we did. If we would have had a car someone would have had to keep their eyes on the road and missed the scenery. Afterwards we discussed we were really glad we did Chilkoot rather than rental car because we would have missed out on the guides' commentary. Our Chilkoot guide was amazing and provided tons of info but the sights and info on the train were also spectacular. Just our opinion.

Thanks!

I will chime in with another option. We were in Skagway on 7/30 and rented a keep from Green Jeep tours. We drove to emerald lake, had lunch at the bistro, which I highly recommend, and did the whole thing at our own pace. Jeep comes with narrative cd, that was ok and notebook full of information. If you want to stop at touristy places, then you do. You get some great views of the train going up as well. Cost was about two seventy five dollars once gas was added in. I highly recommend elk currywurst with poutin at bistro!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

Hey SuzieQ...just wanted to say 'Hi' and chime in some responses. I think we are on the same cruise (Ruby Sept 16) and coincidentally my husband and I are the same age, which is not super common on the Alaska cruises : - ) Of course we are bringing my MIL who is in her 70s...so she will fit right in with the mainstream age group.

I took the Alaska cruise last June on Coral Princess, from Anchorage to Vancouver, so although I haven't yet done the Seattle roundtrip, we have been in Glacier Bay and visited all the same ports. I don't remember any rough water, but it was a totally different route.

My biggest thing was on the Glacier Bay day, we spent HOURS outside on the ship and my feet were FREEZING. I was bundled up and warm otherwise, but I would recommend a boot or at least a heavy duty trail runner/hiker for that day if you plan to stand outside, water repellency is an added bonus. My husband refused to go inside to warm up at all, so I suffered through. The boot/trail runner will also help keep you from slipping if there is a drizzle or mist and you are outside. I did pack rain gear for this trip just in case as I am sure scenario with husband will go the same rain or shine. Definitely pack a hat and gloves!!!!

We did an awesome Mendenhall glacier hike last year where we actually hiked out to the glacier and walked on it, but it was quite pricey. We did the whole hike in the rain and my understanding from those guides is that it almost always rains there and if it doesn't you got very lucky. My understanding is you can hike out from the public shuttle and see the Glacier, but I don't know that you can get that close to it. Anyhow, if you want more info on that guided hike onto the glacier, I can send it. We are doing Harv and Mary whale watching this time around in Juneau. We did a Misty Fjords float plane in Ketchikan, which was very cool, but not my cup of tea and I wouldn't pay for it again. I believe we just walked around in Skagway and went on a little hike somehwere...so I have little to no input on that. We considered the train and Emerald Lake last year, but we are way too active to just sit for that long to travel there.

Motion sickness...I get car sick if I try to read or play on my phone when I am a passenger, especially if the road is curvy. I typically take Bonine on cruises as a precaution. I take it the morning before I board the ship and daily from there. I also have a sea band. I figure why even risk the chance of feeling ill when I can just pop a pill and ensure that it doesn't happen and ruin a day for me.

We also did anytime dining last time around and we never really had to wait. We typically just walked in whenever and were sat within minutes. It was easy peasy.

I think that's all the input I have...hope to see you!

Lisa

Thanks Lisa for the great information! Yes, we are on the same cruise :)

FYI--the only formal excursion we booked is in Skagway...we are doing the Dyea Dave bus ride up to Emerald Lake/Fraser and train back. You may want to contact them if you're interested, assuming there are spaces left.

Great advice about Glacier Bay viewing!

Hope to see you on the ship!

Hey SuzieQ...just wanted to say 'Hi' and chime in some responses. I think we are on the same cruise (Ruby Sept 16) and coincidentally my husband and I are the same age, which is not super common on the Alaska cruises : - ) Of course we are bringing my MIL who is in her 70s...so she will fit right in with the mainstream age group.

I took the Alaska cruise last June on Coral Princess, from Anchorage to Vancouver, so although I haven't yet done the Seattle roundtrip, we have been in Glacier Bay and visited all the same ports. I don't remember any rough water, but it was a totally different route.

My biggest thing was on the Glacier Bay day, we spent HOURS outside on the ship and my feet were FREEZING. I was bundled up and warm otherwise, but I would recommend a boot or at least a heavy duty trail runner/hiker for that day if you plan to stand outside, water repellency is an added bonus. My husband refused to go inside to warm up at all, so I suffered through. The boot/trail runner will also help keep you from slipping if there is a drizzle or mist and you are outside. I did pack rain gear for this trip just in case as I am sure scenario with husband will go the same rain or shine. Definitely pack a hat and gloves!!!!

We did an awesome Mendenhall glacier hike last year where we actually hiked out to the glacier and walked on it, but it was quite pricey. We did the whole hike in the rain and my understanding from those guides is that it almost always rains there and if it doesn't you got very lucky. My understanding is you can hike out from the public shuttle and see the Glacier, but I don't know that you can get that close to it. Anyhow, if you want more info on that guided hike onto the glacier, I can send it. We are doing Harv and Mary whale watching this time around in Juneau. We did a Misty Fjords float plane in Ketchikan, which was very cool, but not my cup of tea and I wouldn't pay for it again. I believe we just walked around in Skagway and went on a little hike somehwere...so I have little to no input on that. We considered the train and Emerald Lake last year, but we are way too active to just sit for that long to travel there.

Motion sickness...I get car sick if I try to read or play on my phone when I am a passenger, especially if the road is curvy. I typically take Bonine on cruises as a precaution. I take it the morning before I board the ship and daily from there. I also have a sea band. I figure why even risk the chance of feeling ill when I can just pop a pill and ensure that it doesn't happen and ruin a day for me.

We also did anytime dining last time around and we never really had to wait. We typically just walked in whenever and were sat within minutes. It was easy peasy.

I think that's all the input I have...hope to see you!

Lisa

When I started researching for our Alaska cruise I kept hearing "you must do the train" (White Pass I think?). Someone I work with went this summer and did the train. She said she would not do it again, but would do the bus. One leg of the trip you can see the scenery and the other leg you are looking out at the side of the cliff. The bus stops occasionally for photo ops and looking around. Thoughts?

When I started researching for our Alaska cruise I kept hearing "you must do the train" (White Pass I think?). Someone I work with went this summer and did the train. She said she would not do it again, but would do the bus. One leg of the trip you can see the scenery and the other leg you are looking out at the side of the cliff. The bus stops occasionally for photo ops and looking around. Thoughts?

If the someone you worked with was a CC member she would have known to sit on the left side of the train leaving Skagway and on the right side returning to see the valley below. You can also go out on the platform between the cars for some great pictures.

P5190254.jpg

p9200565.jpg

If the someone you worked with was a CC member she would have known to sit on the left side of the train leaving Skagway and on the right side returning to see the valley below. You can also go out on the platform between the cars for some great pictures.

P5190254.jpg

p9200565.jpg[/q

I don't know if she is on CC, but don't think so. Do these ever sell out? If so, I'm guessing it might be a fight for seats, especially if everyone is trying to switch sides. lol Has anyone done both train and bus that could compare their experiences?

I have a fear of heights and just looking at your pics make me sick to my stomach. :o I'm sure the views are unbelievable though.

Edited by KristieB
Adding to my post.

ITA about a hiking shoe. They keep your feet so much warmer than tennis shoes in addition to being great for walking and hiking. I didn't care if my feet were wet or muddy, they were always dry and warm. My husband wore tennis shoes and ended up having to wear two pairs of socks to keep his feet warm. It wasn't something that I thought about when I bought them, but it was certainly an added bonus.

I loved doing the bus/train combo in Skagway, I thought it was the best of both worlds.

I don't know if she is on CC, but don't think so. Do these ever sell out? If so, I'm guessing it might be a fight for seats, especially if everyone is trying to switch sides. lol Has anyone done both train and bus that could compare their experiences?

I have a fear of heights and just looking at your pics make me sick to my stomach. :o I'm sure the views are unbelievable though.

I have taken the bus up and the train down a number of times. I have also taken the train up and the bus back with a stop at Liarsville.

IMHO the best Skagway train excursion is a bus to Caribou Crossing where you will catch the train to Lake Bennett for a 45 minute stop, and then the same train back all the way to Skagway. It includes a private dining car with tables and a good lunch. There were only 12 people on the excursion so only 12 people in our car.

P6086726-2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Crew News~ Which company was this with??

I have taken the bus up and the train down a number of times. I have also taken the train up and the bus back with a stop at Liarsville.

IMHO the best Skagway train excursion is a bus to Caribou Crossing where you will catch the train to Lake Bennett for a 45 minute stop, and then the same train back all the way to Skagway. It includes a private dining car with tables and a good lunch. There were only 12 people on the excursion so only 12 people in our car.

P6086726-2.jpg