Has A Princess Captain Joined You or Invited You to Dinner at His Table?

need2cruisesoon

come on...that was obviously a joke[/quote

I didn't think that I'm the only one who thought it wasn't. Plus billco agreed with you. Whatever....

Getting to know the staff on ships has been one of our favorite aspects of cruising...the different stories and backgrounds are fascinating. You learn so much!:)

Way back in the college days, early 1980's, we went on a 3 or 4 day cheapie cruise to the Bahamas. It had some French name which I thought was snazzy. The reason we chose that specific ship was because they had free wine at dinner! We were invited to the Captain's table-no idea why but we thought it was really neat!

Thank you. Had a good chuckle with that one!

The problem is, it's not totally untrue.

Many people think they've met me before that in reality haven't, I have no idea why.

Vice Chancellor at a University graduation stopped in the middle of the academic procession to greet me, never met the man, and when I was later introduced to him he was stunned.

At daughters last graduation (she has had a few) the fellow who gave the occasional address stopped to wave to me, didn't know him from Adam.

A captain, who I'd never sailed with welcomed me back onboard.

Actually yes. September 2007 on last voyage of the old Regal Princess, LA to Sydney prior to transfer to P&O Australia as Pacific Dawn.

Capt.Andrew Froude, terrific fellow. His wife was travelling with him and one of our table mates was an old work mate and good friend of the Capts wife.

He and his good wife turned up 3 times for dinner at our in the MDR. We knew he was due because, surprise, surprise as we arrived, the Maitre D, Headwaiter and all were waiting, not for us, but for the Captain. Andrew got us through 40 foot seas in Force 12 gales off the bottom of NZ that trip, what an adventure, not.:p Damage to the ship and all.

So in 26 cruises, 1 cruise - 3 dinners with the Captain.:halo: Enjoyed them all.

After Regal was handed over to P&O Australia as Pacific Dawn, Andrew Froude commanded that ship, not sure where he is now, probably at sea somewhere.

Edited by NSWP

The problem is, it's not totally untrue.

Many people think they've met me before that in reality haven't, I have no idea why.

Vice Chancellor at a University graduation stopped in the middle of the academic procession to greet me, never met the man, and when I was later introduced to him he was stunned.

At daughters last graduation (she has had a few) the fellow who gave the occasional address stopped to wave to me, didn't know him from Adam.

A captain, who I'd never sailed with welcomed me back onboard.

Gut, thought we bumped in to each other on the Silhouette a couple years back, no?

Gut2407,

I was in Saint Peter’s Square one day and the Pope was waving to me from the Vatican...:)

So I send him an invitation to join me on the Rowboat. He’s coming this Tuesday...:D

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

Pizza and Pinot Grigio to follow at the Vatican Pizzeria? :p Lubbly Jubbly.

• 11 months later...

A couple of years ago whilst on the Diamond Princess (B2B2B) NZ, OZ and the Orient the Captain was such a (pick a word) that he would not even shake hands. (we were among the MTP-Not that it matters). My wife made friends with the Staff Captain's wife and we had three or four dinners together in the specialty restaurants. The wine flowed and each dinner was better than the next. DW still is in contact with the wife and we have plans to meet up for a cruise early next year.

We have sat with the deputy captain on the original Sky Princess, we went to his quarters for drinks on the final night. We were having such fun. When they rang the bells for dinner we started to get up. He said no rush we looked at him and he said trust me we will be served. He went on to captain the QE2 and the Queen Mary 2.

come on...that was obviously a joke

You sound like my son-in-law - who is a Canuck also! I laughed - because I got the joke! He also tells about how his family was homeless because they had a warm spell that melted his house! Heh Heh Heh! Lighten up people!

On the Sun Class ships, there was a specific table that was raised that was deemed the Captain's Table. Though, I think they designed it and then it was never used that way. We were assigned this table a few times and had heard that it was meant to be for the Captain and his guests.

I can't imagine why the captain would ever want to dine with us. :confused:

I think you have it backwards. Why would passengers want to dine with the "hired help." For the record we have dined with Captains and other Senior Officers on 5 other lines...but never on Princess.

Hank

Thrak,

What’s the big deal about having dinner with the captain? When you and I cruise together with our families you can have dinner with the Captain every night. :D

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

My mother & step-dad went on a few cruises back in the 80’s & 90’s. They booked the top suites so they would regularly sit at the Captain’s table as well as be invited for cocktails. I rummaged around and found a couple of her invitations, she passed away in 2011. IMG_6670.thumb.JPG.dac31a101b53e2d650a1fc07c17fd32c.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

IMG_6669.thumb.JPG.3ad3aaece5cc659e1876dfe2b2ba68a4.JPG

A couple of years ago whilst on the Diamond Princess (B2B2B) NZ, OZ and the Orient the Captain was such a (pick a word) that he would not even shake hands.

It is quite common for the Captain and other senior officers not to shake hands at functions, for health reasons. Usually there is a sign to that effect at the entrance to the function.

We have 2 funny stories regards dining with the Captain.

Yours is the punch line in reverse of a dinner we had at Captain's table. We dined with the Captain and his wife on HAL Veendam on a canal cruise 20 yrs ago. My wife asked: "How did we come to be invited to Captain's dinner table?" (This being in the middle of the 1st floor of the Rotterdam dining room) .

The Captain's wife answered: "The M'D will pick folks who he thinks would be a good fit at the table, but, sometimes people would request it." Wife asks: "Who would want to do that?" And the question was taken, of course, in the wrongest possible way, as if who'd want to eat with the Captain. A great laugh went up around the table, except for one couple.

The next day on a shore excursion, the Captain's wife was all grinning, it turns out the couple who weren't laughing had asked (retired HAL employee who knew to ask).

2nd time, on Pacific Princess 2003 Repo SFO to Tahiti. We were at a table for 6 and one night went to Sabatini's. Next night our waiter said the Captain showed up to dine with you last night but you weren't here and would we be there tomorrow night. Of course we said yes.

In each case it was a not to be missed experience for which we are very thankful. Both Captain's had such great stories and made dinner so memorable.

PS: The Veendam's Captain (this is in 1997) had no idea how the Grand Princess with so much weight and free-board would ever be able to pass sea trials, which includes a full deflection rudder turn at top speed.