Has Happy Hour been binned?

Burgmeister

As the title says really. Read in another thread that Princess has binned the Happy Hour in conjunction with raising the price of the drinks package.

Can anyone confirm whether this is correct or not please?

Thanks

What does binned mean?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've only read of one ship that stopped the BOGO-$1 earlier this summer.

Would have been nice if the OP provided a link to the posted rumor he is repeating--or just continued the discussion on whichever of the innumerable existing threads he is citing in the first place.

Sorry for using a term that, obviously, isn't used widely by Americans.

As for the thread that I saw a comment on, it was about the increase in inclusive drinks prices not about the Happy Hour. I didn't want to take that thread in a different direction so I started one specifically about this subject. I apologize if that isn't how this particular forum works.

As for reference, please see posts #24 and #25 here http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2546468&page=2

As I said above, sorry if asking this question was wrong, I was under the impression that this forum was for asking questions. I guess that's not correct.

Edit: sknight, thank you for your informative answer. If its on a ship by ship basis that may be why some people are reporting it doesn't exist.

As for the thread that I saw a comment on, it was about the increase in inclusive drinks prices not about the Happy Hour. I didn't want to take that thread in a different direction so I started one specifically about this subject. I apologize if that isn't how this particular forum works.

No apologies necessary.

This board is for discussion about any cruising topic.

It is unfortunate that some posters feel the need to be less than friendly..... :rolleyes:

As for reference, please see posts #24 and #25 here http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2546468&page=2

As I said above, sorry if asking this question was wrong, I was under the impression that this forum was for asking questions. I guess that's not correct.

Edit: sknight, thank you for your informative answer. If its on a ship by ship basis that may be why some people are reporting it doesn't exist.

Don't worry about it. The forums are definitely for asking questions. I smiled when I read your post title and wondered how long it would be before someone was confused by the term "binned". I knew exactly what you meant but many here in the US wouldn't know. I think it's good to expose folks to alternate terms.

We have the beverage package on all of our upcoming cruises since they were booked under the Sip and Sail promo both last year and this year but otherwise we always avail ourselves of the BOGO and would definitely hate to see it go.

It was completely appropriate to start a thread specific to the topic you want to discuss, rather than de-railing another thread by going off topic.

I'm personally interested in hearing more first hand experience on this topic, in the upcoming weeks and months, as I'm hoping happy hour continues to be offered, so will be following this thread

Okay call me a rude bugger all you want.

Perhaps I should not have added the chide for starting a new thread. But stating "I read on another thread..." without supply the precise quote is useless.

And to suggest that a certain heretofore fleetwide feature of Princess has been "binned"--which means permanently and irrevocably discarded--based on purely anecdotal offerings from random posts is the essence of rumour-mongering.

Just the way I read it. The rest of you are free to disagree.

Perhaps I should not have added the chide for starting a new thread. But stating "I read on another thread..." without supply the precise quote is useless.

I don't really think it was useless at all. It appears that the OP got the answer to his question.....and so did the rest of us. :rolleyes:

The OP did nothing wrong in posting the question and I learned what binned meant. It has been said many times before that the UK and the USA are two countries separated by a common language! In answer to the question we were on the Ruby the first of last month and the BOGO$1 was alive and well.

From pax currently on Golden, There is 'No Buy One Get One for $1.' They are not happy little vegemites.:evilsmile:

Discrimination if BOGO $1 is still on the American Princess ships but not on the Australian Princess ships.

BTW..we say 'Binned' in Australia too, like the Brits...got rid of, dispensed with ,finished, trashed, you know what I mean.

Also in football, if the Referee/Umpire 'Sin Bins' you, say for a foul, the player is off the field and out of the game for a period of time or for the remainder of the match.

Edited by NSWP

And to suggest that a certain heretofore fleetwide feature of Princess has been "binned"--which means permanently and irrevocably discarded--based on purely anecdotal offerings from random posts is the essence of rumour-mongering.

2 things. Surely its irrelevant whether I included a link to the thread or not. Either the Happy Hour has been dropped or it hasn't. I was looking for first hand experience from people - not looking for someone else to read the same thread I had read. I did not suggest it had been removed. I was asking if it had been removed. There is quite a significant difference between the 2. I was, actually, attempting to confirm or deny a rumour, not spread it further.

Secondly, in the UK binned means "Discarded" or "stopped". That may or may not be irrevocable. At this point no-one would know whether it would be a permanent removal as cruise lines change their mind regularly on promotions. I now appreciate that the majority of the contributors on this forum do not understand the meaning of the word "binned" as it isn't widely used in the US. I should have used a different word - perhaps "removed" would be more understandable to all.

O.K. We are going on the 14 day carib princess in 2 weeks, always never brought any liquor on board, .With the new policy we will abide on the policy & bring 2 bottles of wine & enjoy our cocktails on our balcony as we used to do before our great plat/elite happy hr. Hope Princess likes having less income from the bar.

Your question was not "wrong". What is wrong is the snarky comments that some on CC make when someone asks a simple question.

Off topic, I loved the word binned and had no clue what it meant. My typo reading mind thought you meant banned so I just interjected banned for binned.

Now that I know I like it and it makes perfect sense. My grandmother used to call the trash can a trash bin.

Thank you teaching me something new. Knowledge is power

Sent from my iPad using Forums