traveling with small kids - change to western itinerary and need ideas

amuth1130

Hello! Apologies in advance for the long list of questions – any help or insight is much appreciated.

We are on the 12/9/17 Escape sailing so I’m working on new plans for our port days given our change in itinerary. Husband and I are traveling with our two small kids (3 year old and 1 year old) so I am looking for super easy, low key beach options for port days. I am completely unfamiliar with the ports on our new itinerary (Falmouth, Jamaica, Georgetown, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Great Stirrup Cay). Know up front that traveling with two small kids, our expectations of anything going as planned are already low, so we are open to being flexible! We chose this sailing more for the ship than the ports, but this is a trip a year in the making for us and I want to make the most of our time in port, if we can!

Previously – we had booked a beach day at Nassau through NCL (Blue Lagoon) and the other two days we were going to just taxi to the beach (Magens and Cane Garden Bay) and make a day of it, as well.

Falmouth – any thoughts or experiences traveling with young kids here? Brief research I have done shows many stay in the port area. Is there a safe beach close by that families frequent? We don’t want to venture too far because if the kids melt down I want to be able to return to the ship fairly easily. How’s the port area? There is a pool at Margaritaville there - ok for kids? Thinking that maybe we use this as our “wait and see day”since we had planned on three sea days on our old itinerary anyways.

Georgetown – is there a section of Seven Mile Beach that is better than others? Or a beachside restaurant/bar that has chairs and umbrellas available that we should plan on targeting? Really looking forward to this day – we just need some kind of shade for the kids (umbrella would be fine), a place to get food and drinks/cocktails. Also – any idea how far from the port?

Cozumel – best place for a beach day? Close by? There’s one excursion through NCL to Playa Mia – looks like fun – any positive experiences with small kids (3 and under)? I also see that Intercontinental Resort is close by – anyone done a day pass there? Thinking we could also do a “wait and see how the day goes” for this port, as well.

GSC – how easy is the tender situation? We will have a stroller and I hadn’t thought about tenders before as we were docking at all three locations previously. Looks like very little shade available – do they have umbrellas? I see you can rent clamshells but those are so hot normally. Not interested in a cabana since the price is pretty steep.

If you’ve read this far, thank you! Any help is appreciated – we booked back in January so I spent a lot of time researching and figuring out what would work for us so now I only have a few months to come up with plan B.

Can only speak to Cozumel, we did Chankanaab and had a great time. Kids were 8 and 2 at the time and both had plenty to do. There are a gazillion reviews on it, so but you can find info by Google or searching in the Cozumel Board.

Second recommendation, and I am sure you already know, check out the specific boards for the ports. Those are most helpful with specific information.

In Cayman, head to the Public Beach section of Seven Mile Beach. There is a playground for the kids in addition to the usual rental loungers, umbrellas, etc. and a restaurant (Calico Jacks) next door with restrooms and showers.

I have sailed on NCL previously when one of my kids was 9 months old. Best thing we had with us was a blow up little bath tube. That thing rocked. We got ours at Target -it was munchkin brand and looked like a rubber ducky (sized to fit within a regular adult bathtub). We brought a beach pail with us and used it to fill the kiddie bath. We took it onto the pool deck and our infant was able to play and splash in the water as there were no facilities for kids in diapers (I think Escape has a kiddie splash area for diapered children but don't know for sure). She loved it. Allowed us to have some time in the sun while she played and stayed cool. It was also a hit with other passengers as they would walk by and smile and talk to her (frankly, I think they were just glad she wasn't in a pool pooping in it). We just emptied it using the drains around the pool deck. Also, we used it on our balcony for evening bath-it was awesome to watch the sea go by while she had a bath and we had a drink! We also took it to GSC and filled it up with ocean water and planted ourselves under a palm tree. It was terrific. Get earliest tender you can over to GSC and spend and hour or two there and then head back to the ship. It is a beautiful Island-I don't have any other ideas for the other ports other than getting a shuttle to 7 mile beach - bring the duck with you. Have a great time!

The only port you listed that I have been to is Cozumel. Our family of 4 (myself, parents and 19 yr old son) spent the day at Paradise Beach and had a GREAT time. Grab a taxi (maybe $20 for all of us) at the port area for the 15-20 minute ride to Paradise Beach. Entry fee is only $3 per person- they will set you up with a beach chair and you will have a server assigned to you for the day. In return, they ask that you spend $10 in food/beverages. In reality you don't have a set minimum that you have to spend, just order whatever you want from their menu. The beach area is large, clean and has plenty of shade if you need it. They have a huge pool and a great outdoor bar and it was a nice crowd- all ages and not overly rowdy. They also have water inflatables anchored in the ocean, but your kids might be too little.

We are most likely going back to PB on our upcoming cruise, that's how much we enjoyed it. You can check out their website here: http://www.paradise-beach-cozumel.com/

In the Grand Cayman Island, I wouldn't do stingray city with kids that small (although some people do). But the turtle farm is amazing and a very special experience, and your child will really love that.

We've tendered twice with small children. It's a little crowded but totally manageable during peak time for everyone getting off the ship. If you are really worried you can wait until most people get off the ship before you take the tender and it will be easier (but this is totally not necessary). Ship employees are not supposed to help you get on the tender, but they've always picked up our smallest children and put them into the tender so we've had no problems transferring onto the tender.

In Jamaica Dolphin Cove is great for kids, but we docked in Montego Bay so it might be a little further for you. Scotties has great jerk chicken and is a chain across Jamaica so you might find some close to where you dock.

Dolphin Cove is an excellent stop for people with children or those who love animals. There are various swim with dolphin programs, and a dolphin touch programs for nonswimmers, pregnant women and children. The Princess tours do not allow children under the age of 8 to participate in dolphin touch programs, so if you want your children to participate in this excursion you would need to book it directly through the Dolphin Cove (and please don't tell them you are arriving on a cruise ship since previous trip advisor reviewers were refused booking when they told Dolphin cove they were traveling to Jamaica on a cruise). The Dolphin Cove has a lovely touch tank, where your child can hold starfish, and you can feed love birds by hand and get your photograph taken with lots of parrots on you. There is also an opportunity to take pictures with either sharks or stingrays. Please note the time of the shark show, since this show is very bad and the performers in this are also the same people who help you pose with stingrays and sharks. You should visit the other attractions during the shark show, and for the 15 minutes prior to the shark show since the trainers are preparing for the show and can't help you touch the animals. Dolphin's Cove is also located right next to the spectacular Dunn's River Falls, which my family greatly enjoyed visiting. Lunch was excellent jerk chicken at Scotchie's. Richard Brooks at excursionochorios@gmail.com provided us with an excellent tour of Jamaica. He guided my family through Dunn's river falls, and helped my mother pick out an authentic Jamaican meal at Scotchies.

Dunn's river falls is right next to Dolphin cove, but I don't think a small child would be safe there. My son and I went back to the ship for a nap, and my husband and the grandparents went to Dunn's river falls by themselves.

We have been to Cozumel twice and although my children are older I can give our experience.

Playa Mia: we just organised it from the port. We were given a chair and umbrella. There was a great little water section for the really young kids (your 3 year old will love it!) and 2 water slides for the older ones and adults. There was a huge inflatable section in the water but this is more for older kids. Beach was nice.

Chan...aab (really wish I would remember how to spell this one!): again organised once at port at the info desk. Pool, beach, snorkeling, if your 3 yo is a swimmer, they would love this as the fish are right on the water line. If not get them used to a pair of goggles and they would be able to stand on the steps and see fish galore. Dolphin show, seal show and more. Loved this day out.

Cayman Islands: we did a stingray tour but if it was me with 2 young ones, I would not do it with them. However our someone on our tour arranged with our driver to drop us off at the public 7 mile beach for a couple of hours. Really nice beach and little kids would love the water and sand play.

Good Luck!

Cozumel - Playa Mia - great for young kids. You can book through ShoreExcursioneer, which offers different packages. You will have to taxi there yourself. (I would recommend this instead of booking through the cruise line if they offer it... much cheaper.)

Grand Cayman - The Turtle Farm is definitely good for young kids. If you do this, book directly from their website. You can get better price options that way. Seven Mile Beach is great for a beautiful sandy beach as well.