Roatan?

MoeMoe55

Does NCL dock at Mahogany Bay? Apparently there is another option of maybe docking downtown? I was there last year with HAL and they docked at Mahogany Bay. Thanks

Rjm11 is correct that NCL docks at Coxen Hole, that Mahogany Bay is for Carnival corporation.

Edited by NMLady

Does NCL dock at Mahogany Bay? Apparently there is another option of maybe docking downtown? I was there last year with HAL and they docked at Mahogany Bay. Thanks

Mahogany Bay is a Carnival Corporation owned facility. Only ships under the Carnival umbrella dock there. NCL docks or tenders to Coxen Hole.

It's a five minute boat ride from there to Maya Key, which is an excursion offered thru the cruise line only. It's a great place- great day though if you're interested..... pool, beach, excellent buffet lunch, cleanest bathrooms I've ever seen anywhere (probably including my house!).... but the real draw is the snorkeling which is awesome. There' a long pier into the water and you just walk down the steps at the end and you are on the reef. They provide snorkel gear if you need it.

They also have an animal sanctuary, and even a big bay area with sharks and sea lions- they are free to look at and for extra you can swim with them. (we didn't do that)

Can't say enough good things about Maya Key... the return boat back to the ship runs every half hour so you can stay as long as you like.

It's a five minute boat ride from there to Maya Key, which is an excursion offered thru the cruise line only. It's a great place- great day though if you're interested..... pool, beach, excellent buffet lunch, cleanest bathrooms I've ever seen anywhere (probably including my house!).... but the real draw is the snorkeling which is awesome. There' a long pier into the water and you just walk down the steps at the end and you are on the reef. They provide snorkel gear if you need it.

They also have an animal sanctuary, and even a big bay area with sharks and sea lions- they are free to look at and for extra you can swim with them. (we didn't do that)

Can't say enough good things about Maya Key... the return boat back to the ship runs every half hour so you can stay as long as you like.

Thanks for this summary of Maya Key. I will be going to Roatan in April and will be looking for good snorkeling excursions-they aren't listed for our cruise yet. Taking note!

Thanks for this summary of Maya Key. I will be going to Roatan in April and will be looking for good snorkeling excursions-they aren't listed for our cruise yet. Taking note!

The best snorkeling from shore is on the West End. You can take an NCL excursion to Tabayana Beach or you can get a cab or day pass to one of the resorts in that area.

Port of Roatan - Coxen Hole.

i-VnMXfng-L.jpg

i-KDKbrXk-L.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. The last time I was in Coxen Hole it looked nothing like this. There were no shops and if you wanted to buy a souvenir a woman had a shack about a mile down the road. Of course that was many years ago when the ships were just starting to go there and looks like it has drastically changed.

We just got back from a cruise to Roatan and LOVED our snorkeling excursion we booked through Roatan Ocean Adventures...they will customize your excursion to fit other activities in as well. It was one of the best excursions we have taken on a cruise...unbelievable snorkeling! I cannot recommend them enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the pictures. The last time I was in Coxen Hole it looked nothing like this. There were no shops and if you wanted to buy a souvenir a woman had a shack about a mile down the road. Of course that was many years ago when the ships were just starting to go there and looks like it has drastically changed.

Glad to share!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is a nice link. It shows ports all around the world, and what ships will be in that port on a particular day.

https://www.cruisetimetables.com/#destports

I’m looking at a private snorkeling tour in Roatan and pick up is at the pier, 30 minutes after the ship docks! I’ve never been on a large ship like the Escape but I’ve been on smaller ships with around 2,500 passengers and I’ve seen the congestion when everyone wants off the ship at the same time. Should I be worried about making the pick up for 30 minutes after the ship docks? Estimate docking time is 10:00am.

Now you are making me wish we had chosen Maya Key. We couldn't decide between that one and a private tour with Rony. We decided on option two. I stil las sure we will have a great time: love Roatan and love the idea of cruising on a 9 day instead of 7 day cruise. We leave Nov 10th. ;p

The first time we were ported at Roatan our experience was like yours. That was about 12 years ago. So it was a nice surprise last year to be able to step off the ship, walk a few yards and have all those souvenir kiosks and also an outdoor bar.

Another strong vote for Maya Key. Actually able to go inside cage with monkeys, a definite highlight for nephew and great memories were made. My mother plopped down in the first row of lounge chaird at the beach and could not have been happier, well that was until lunch was served. The fish, rice & beans and plantains were especially yummy.

I am likely to book Maya Key again for our spring break cruise. I also find that I wear that t shirt and the one I bought in port more than any other cruise t shirts I own.

Last trip to Roatan I took my first zip lining trip, awesome. Booked through NCL and would recommend. It isn't something I feel the need to repeat, but they were great at making me feel safe the "jungle" had awesome runs.

Just down from the port there is an inside shopping venue. Small stalls and shops, worth a look if you don't want walk too far, but see something just outside of the port. I didn't buy there, but family was fine with the stroll. We may have already bought things in port, cannot recall sequence.

The first time we were ported at Roatan our experience was like yours. That was about 12 years ago. So it was a nice surprise last year to be able to step off the ship, walk a few yards and have all those souvenir kiosks and also an outdoor bar.

Heck, the first time we were there was in about 1996 or 7, when NCL was the only line to do Roatan and no one even knew where it was. There was absolutely nothing there. When we came back from the beach there were a handful of venders right out by the ship. I got the cutes dress I must have worn for 10 years and I paid about $14 for it. Now, the same thing is like $30 or more. But the area around the ship is so nice and a fun place to walk around even if you are not doing a tour.

Mahogany Bay is used primarily by ships belonging to CCL but Seven Seas, Oceana, Thompson are also listed with port calls there. I guess if you can pay you can port. :cool:

Several years ago even NCL used it for a few months. It may have been while Coxen Hole was being renovated.

RCL, X, NCL regularly use Coxen Hole.