AIBP changes survey

antsp

If there is a wine package I'll buy in to that, we will usually drink a bottle between us with dinner. Maybe buy the beer basket before and a G&T after dinner and that will do us nicely. Half the cost of the package.

There are wine packages available as I understand it on cruises 7 days or longer - silver and gold packages - only available on board and not heavily promoted. No details on the website and cannot be pre-ordered.

If you search this forum, you will find threads on the topic.

However it has been reported that not all wines listed in the package are always available.

Annie

There are wine packages available as I understand it on cruises 7 days or longer - silver and gold packages - only available on board and not heavily promoted. No details on the website and cannot be pre-ordered.

If you search this forum, you will find threads on the topic.

However it has been reported that not all wines listed in the package are always available.

Annie

Thanks Annie, on our only other cruise with Princess we bought in to this package, can't exactly remember if it was 5 or 7 bottles, maybe even 10.

We are on the Far East run and last time they ran out of all sorts of drinks as they couldn't restock until they caught up with their container which failed to make it to Hong Kong on time. We also discovered that if you ask for a bottle at the bar you can get one to share there too! I have a vague recall that the bottles worked out about $15 each.

Thanks Annie, on our only other cruise with Princess we bought in to this package, can't exactly remember if it was 5 or 7 bottles, maybe even 10.

We are on the Far East run and last time they ran out of all sorts of drinks as they couldn't restock until they caught up with their container which failed to make it to Hong Kong on time. We also discovered that if you ask for a bottle at the bar you can get one to share there too! I have a vague recall that the bottles worked out about $15 each.

I think the price may have increased a little?

It is reported that the bottles can only be obtained from a dining room but can be removed from there?

I think you can purchase the package on varying quantities.

My biggest issue would be purchasing the package and finding not all wines listed are available.

Annie

Many thanks! Not being Elite I've never gotten the mini bar setup. Someday... :D

Sorry Thrak my bad ....it is the Perrier in elite bar set up...so hope you can get it on South Pacific cruise.

Enjoy your future cruises...elite will be here in no time....and maybe one day you will get that sweet upsell to a suite!

I think the price may have increased a little?

It is reported that the bottles can only be obtained from a dining room but can be removed from there?

I think you can purchase the package on varying quantities.

My biggest issue would be purchasing the package and finding not all wines listed are available.

Annie

I have a feeling our choice was limited to availability for the reasons previously mentioned.

I guess it depends on which bar you try and the staff working it as to whether they will let you have a bottle of wine.

That's an idea. I didn't realize that was an option until I re-read the fine print after final payment. Our thought process was that we would enjoy the fresh squeezed orange juice at breakfast, teas and coffees at IC, and mocktails at the piano bar. The OBC isn't the full value of the AIBP.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

We chose the $300 OBC for our 7 day cruise. I got the Unlimited Soda and More package (can't be shared) with includes mocktails (husband doesn't like sweet drinks)' and he got a coffee card for the IC. That includes 15 espresso based drinks and unlimited brewed coffee and fine tea that can be shared. We purchased a few large bottles of sparkling water that we shared at dinner, and still came out way ahead. You might want to price this option. It depends how long your cruise is. Looking at the Princess website, it looks as though it is $8.05 per person per day for the soda package, and $35.65 for the coffee card. On a 7-day cruise you could get two soda packages and 2 coffee cards for less than $200. On a longer cruise, the AIBP might be a better way to go, but keep in mind the OBC also increases. A Princess rep can tell you the exact amounts. We had considered keeping the AIBP, but realized we would come out ahead with the $300 OBC. (We ended up spending the OBC on the Ultimate Ship's Tour, which was one of the highlights of our week.)

Nope, we haven't ever had it before. Are looking forward to trying it out on our next cruise since we have Sip and Sale. But neither of us drink alcohol.

If no Sip and Sale I like the PAGO (Pay As You Go) mentioned above.

Does your promotion give you the offer of OBC instead of the AIBP? If neither of you drink alcohol you may be ahead with this option.

We do enjoy some alcohol drinks while cruising, but will use a combination of Unlimited Soda & More, carry-on wine, and PAGO. Our last cruise was NCL which included a beverage package. It was very nice to try new drinks and not worry about cost, but we would have enjoyed many of the drinks virgin - especially just to try.

Does your promotion give you the offer of OBC instead of the AIBP? If neither of you drink alcohol you may be ahead with this option.

We do enjoy some alcohol drinks while cruising, but will use a combination of Unlimited Soda & More, carry-on wine, and PAGO. Our last cruise was NCL which included a beverage package. It was very nice to try new drinks and not worry about cost, but we would have enjoyed many of the drinks virgin - especially just to try.

Yes, we do have that option. I'm re-running numbers to see if that would be better for us. Having trouble finding threads in the search function that discuss pros and cons of the Soda and More package. Thankful for all I'm learning on CC.

Really wasn't worth buying for us at the old cost let alone the new.

We did buy a 12 bottle wine package on our last cruise which was plenty for us, what with that and the free drinks at cocktail parties, drinks ashore on a port intensive cruise, etc etc we had more than enough.

I can't drink the sugary mix cocktails as I am diabetic, nor soda of any kind, so they are out.

A gin and tonic is about it, or a Chairman of the Board, now discontinued in the Platinum/Elite lounge specials. And no more than 2 a day, and not every day at that.

I cannot believe how much the AIBP costs! More per day than our cruise in an inside cabin cost!

I will never purchase it in the future due to the simple fact that Princess, via some deceptive marketing ploys, made it seem like they are doing us a favor. The cost was never an issue for me. Were they making money on my purchase of the AIBP, of course. The deciding factor for me as stated earlier, was I don't like being treated like dummy that doesn't realize the new package is smiply an insult to my intelligence. This is just my humble opinion as I know there are others who think differently.

Bob

Frankly, my wife and I drink like fish - but with the recent changes it just doesn't make since anymore.

We receive 12 beers via the mini bar setup (Switch out) and bring on a bottle of wine for each evening aboard ($15 Corkage fee after the 1st two)

Between buying the small bottles (Rum or vodka) via room service and also bringing on our own 64 ounce cranberry juice containers plus buying the beer bucket or BOGO (If offered) we can do much better.

Yes, we do have that option. I'm re-running numbers to see if that would be better for us. Having trouble finding threads in the search function that discuss pros and cons of the Soda and More package. Thankful for all I'm learning on CC.

Some of my pros and cons:

Pro

• unlimited mocktails - try any drink without worrying if I will like it or not (if I really like it and want with alcohol, I can always order that later)
  • juice outside of breakfast hours (don't want scurvy on a ship ;))
  • soft drink with lunch - they likely won't have our first choice from the fountain gun, but we are fine with diet coke/pepsi with a meal (especially with a lime wedge)
  • hot chocolate with breakfast (or MUTS) - especially nice for potentially chilly Canadian evenings
  • reduced alcohol consumption (we enjoy some alcohol based drinks, but not being drunk)

Con

• specialty coffee and tea not included - would need to get a card, but still looks more economical than getting the PBP
  • bottled water not included
  • I don't think canned soft drinks are included
  • potential to not drink enough water because drinking specialty drinks
  • consuming too many empty calories

Hope this helps you find what works best for your cruise.

Some of my pros and cons:

Pro

• unlimited mocktails - try any drink without worrying if I will like it or not (if I really like it and want with alcohol, I can always order that later)
  • juice outside of breakfast hours (don't want scurvy on a ship ;))
  • soft drink with lunch - they likely won't have our first choice from the fountain gun, but we are fine with diet coke/pepsi with a meal (especially with a lime wedge)
  • hot chocolate with breakfast (or MUTS) - especially nice for potentially chilly Canadian evenings
  • reduced alcohol consumption (we enjoy some alcohol based drinks, but not being drunk)

Con

• specialty coffee and tea not included - would need to get a card, but still looks more economical than getting the PBP
  • bottled water not included
  • I don't think canned soft drinks are included
  • potential to not drink enough water because drinking specialty drinks
  • consuming too many empty calories

Hope this helps you find what works best for your cruise.

Thank you!

I have a little bit of a different take - I have purchased it previously and may again. As a Canadian, my costs are impacted by the exchange rate.

I recently purchased the AIBP before the price increase at a 30% exchange rate. Princess lowered the exchange rate to 20% today. If I compare the old and new prices and the old and new exchange rates, it works out to $6cdn per day per person difference. So, it still makes sense for me when the lower exchange rate is factored in.

As I said, just a slightly different take.

Lisa

Nope. Way too rich for our blood. We are fortunate to be able to cruise. Spending that kind of cash every day for drinks is not in the budget. We love it as a perk but otherwise will simply purchase drinks as we go.

We ditto what Thrak said. When you enjoy a good coffee, a beer now and then and a glass of wine or three, it seems that Princess could offer a package that would be more limited in # of drinks per day, at a cost that some may be able to afford, rather than always offering the only ULTIMATE DRINK PKG. The health issue alone of drinking that much alcohol in a 24 hour period to get your money's worth is very ignorant on everyone's part, cruise line and individuals alike. Or, how about lowering the price of wine and mixed drinks to make them affordable to many, then continue to offer the ULTIMATE DRINK PKG. for those that can't seen to enjoy themselves without the help of alcohol.

For what it's worth I consider the Soda and More package to be one of the absolute best bargains aboard.

I'll probably continue to purchase the package. I have always more than gotten my money's worth on the old package and I'm sure I still will. Most of the beverages I drink are at the top end of price limit so 4 martinis/wines/scotch, several bottles of water throughout the day, and a fancy coffee or two, I've more than covered the price (and I almost always have more than 4!!). I wish soda cans were still included but I do get a mini bar setup so I usually have enough there. I love the convenience of not worrying what my bar bill will be since I've already prepaid it!

Without knowing if the individual drink prices have changed, it is difficult to state whether it is a good value or not. If you don't drink at all or rarely, than that is obvious but for those who do enjoy adult and other beverages throughout the day really need to see what the drink prices are going to be before equivocally stating it isn't a good deal.

Thrak- I've ordered plenty of the small San Pellegrinos but some of the bars don't always have them and have given me perrier instead.

For what it's worth I consider the Soda and More package to be one of the absolute best bargains aboard.

I agree. Celebrity charges $9 per day just for soda (cans or fountain). To get the mocktails and juices and such that the Princess $8.05 per day package includes, you'd go up to $22 per day on Celebrity. Now granted, that $22 per day package includes specialty coffees and teas and bottled water, but the $8.05 per day Princess package + coffee card + a few bottled waters is still much cheaper.