Any Tips for our Cruise?

Chippet

Hi Chippet,

I use a scooter although I can walk very short distances I think I can give you some useful info as I have been to all these ports.

Oporto The new part has a lot of steep hills and is very difficult. When I went I just got the ships shuttle into town which was a mistake. I should have just got a taxi down to the riverside where it it flat and much more scenic.

Malaga. You should be find here to just wander around, nice smooth surfaces and quite flat in the centre of town.

We did not get to do everything we planed to do here as that morning my scooter broke and I had to hire a manual wheel chair and it was so very hot our plans changed somewhat.

Cadiz This should be wonderful for you It's just a short stroll from the ship into the town. Very flat and nice smooth surfaces. It is a lovely town I have been twice and very much enjoyed it.

Cartagena This will also be great for you. Again just a short stroll from the ship. Flat and lovely smooth surfaces. There is a Roman amphitheatre there which is wheel chair accessible.

Gibralta You may be able to get an adapted taxi to take you up the rock. If not main street in nice and flat.

Lisbon Like Oporto some of it is very hilly but if you stick to the area arround Praco de comercio you should have no problems and there is plenty to see arround there. The sail in to Lisbon should not be missed it is one one the best ones I have enjoyed.

Hope this of some help. Have a wonderful holiday and if you have any questions I would be pleased to help if I can.

Edited by Scooter girl 58
spelling error

As I mentioned in your other post, I am not familiar with electric wheelchairs.

Lisbon: If you have two days in Lisbon, I'd suggest a trip to Belem. The major site in Belem is the Jerónimos Monastery, however the major attraction is the Belem tarts. We stayed over in Lisbon and took a taxi to Belem (both scooters fit in the trunk). If you do not have the extra time in Lisbon, ask someone going to bring you back a couple tarts. They are definitely a treat.

The next day, we took a taxi to Castelo de S. Jorge. From the Castle we decided to scoot through town, see the sights and back to our hotel. Two problems, rain and pedestrian streets with steps. However the standard streets had fairly good sidewalks. For your little wheels, beware of missing tile... I did a flip. Because of the rain, we limited our sightseeing. Also, we did not consider the street elevator because of the steps leading up to it.

Cadiz: For any of your sailors, Cadiz is just across the harbor from Rota. Cadiz does not offer many sights, however their market really had some interesting fish. It was easy to get around in Cadiz.

Gibraltar: Like someone else, we took a taxi to the rock and monkeys. We secured both scooters at a vendor's stall. Ruth took her crutches with her, I can do limited walking. We visited something on the rock and saw all the monkeys. When we got back down to the dock area, we wandered around the area on our scooters.

Malaga: Time to get your enlarged Google map to the 100 feet scale, that will show you where the cruise ships dock out on the point of the harbor. Was real easy to scoot around town. I believe there is a rather hefty hill around Alcazaba.

I assume you are referring to Cartagena, Spain. I have only been to Cartagena, Columbia.

Recommendation: Carry a small tool kit or at least a pair of pliers. Seems like nuts and bolts have a tendency to come loose on the cobblestones.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty