Walking in Key West

laurspag

We will be in Key West for the first time in February. We see that there is a trolley, and there are plenty of excursion. We were thinking of walking to a few places on our own. What is easy to get to from the dock? We will be on Brilliance of the Seas.

We'd love to grab lunch, and are interested in visiting some historical places, as well as some good photo ops. I hear that Truman's Little White House may be in walking distance?

Also, is the weather cooler in February?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

There are SO many things to do in Key West that are in walking distance...Truman's Little House, Audubon House, even Hemingway House is in walking distance. For a fun out of the way lunch try the New York Pasta Garden, seriously it has the best food, it's about a block away from Hemingway House. Or go to Schooner wharf for a true Key West lunch experience. Don't forget to stop at the Flying Monkeys for a frozen drink and the obligatory drink at Sloppy Joes. The boat dock is very well located. Everything is in walking distance...have fun

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We will be there next week and were debating whether to do the HOHO bus or just walk. 1 person in my group doesn't enjoy walking and prob won't want to do more than a few miles in total. Would the HOHO bus be worthwhile? We would prefer to walk if it's reasonable, mostly just want to sightsee a bit, lunch, light shopping.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just returned. We rented a golf cart/ scooter for 4 hours. Had no problem driving but you do have to pay to park in most places. Some friends did the hoho bus and enjoyed it. The tour gave a lot info. Make sure you go to blue heaven for key lime pie.

Key West is a very small island. Old Town is only about 1.5 square miles and walking from the cruise ship docks to the opposite end of Duval Street or the Southernmost Point is only about a mile.

Unless you have mobility issues there is no reason at all to rent an electric car. Walking is the best way to see things here and February has beautiful weather. Typically warm and sunny with no humidity. If you get tired, taxis are plentiful. Just call one and the fare within Old Town is rarely more than $10.

Enjoy your visit!

Walking is very easy to do in Key West. As a first timer, you might want to do the Conch Train or HOHO to get an overview of the sights, and THEN wander about at your leisure. I've always enjoyed hearing the history and stories they tell.

The answer depends on how much you like to walk. Personally, when we stay in KW (usually 3 nights every year) we walk everywhere! Our hotel is located pretty close to the main cruise pier and we do have a car. But once we arrive, our car goes into the hotel lot where it stays until we leave town. Part of the fun of KW is simply strolling, browsing some of the many cute shops, stopping here and there for a drink, reading menus, etc.

Hank

• 3 weeks later...
My family and I are going on a cruise in April and one of our trips are Key West. We want to the Trolley Tour so Can we walk from the boat to Mallory Square?

It depends where the ship will be docked

http://www.cruiseportinsider.com/keywestschedule2016.html#apr

If docked at Pier B and Mallory Square, you can walk to Mallory Square quite easily. Pier B is maybe a 5 minute walk to Mallory Square. If you look at Key West on Google Maps satellite view, There is a royal Caribbean ship docked at Pier B.

Outer Mole is on Navy property and passengers have to take a trolley to and from the ship. I BELIEVE the trolleys pick up and drop off near the Shipwreck museum which is roughly across the street from Mallory Square but you'll need confirmation on that - I've never actually docked there.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back and we enjoyed Key West a lot. We didn't have a ton of time but we were able to find a lot of choices for lunch, visited the Naval Museum and Truman's Little White House. Oh, and chocolate covered key lime pie on a stick! I'd love to go again so I can see more.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

My family and I are going on a cruise in April and one of our trips are Key West. We want to the Trolley Tour so Can we walk from the boat to Mallory Square?

As another poster said, the boat will either dock at Mallory square or the navy shipyard. Ours did the navy shipyard and they were running a free trolley from the boat to Mallory square. So yes, you will be at Mallory square when you get off the boat one way or another. We walked down to the southernmost point and back with lunch and shopping along the way.

• 1 month later...
Yuk, is there a bus or trolly at port to get to it?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

We are going to be there for the first time. After reading some of the comments on this board and others, we have decided to take a taxi to the southmost point. We are planning on walking from there to the Hemmingway House, then over to Duval Street. Strolling Duval back to Mallory Square. More or less playing it by ear depending on how the time goes.

Yuk, is there a bus or trolly at port to get to it?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

That's only a 20-30 minute walk

Head down Whitehead St and you will see Mile Marker 0, Truman's Little White House, Hemmingway's house and the Lighthouse on your way and 5hen walk back down Duval or take the HOHO trolley

• 1 month later...
That's only a 20-30 minute walk

Head down Whitehead St and you will see Mile Marker 0, Truman's Little White House, Hemmingway's house and the Lighthouse on your way and 5hen walk back down Duval or take the HOHO trolley

i wanna mark this so i remember it.(:

• 1 month later...