Thoughts on Monterey (CA) vs Santa Barbara and Ruby vs Crown

tensixmom

***Thread title is wrong but I can't seem to edit it*** Should be Ruby vs GRAND****

Hello everyone. I am in the very beginning planning stages of a California coastal cruise. Princess has two (one that departs from LA and one that departs from SF) and aside from one Port, all the other ports are the same. I have never been to Monterey or Santa Barbara.

Neither have I been on a Princess ship. My husband sailed on the Star several years ago and LOVES it and my understanding is that the Grand is one of its sister ships. I don't know why he loves it so much other than the sound of the chimes (which I would imagine would be the same across all Princess ships???) and something about going up to a lounge or bar way up high on the back of the ship during departure.

The Ruby Princess goes to Monterey and the Grand Princess to Santa Barbara.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on which they'd prefer and why. If it makes a difference, I think we are looking at a March or April sailing regardless of which we choose.

Thank you!

Edited by tensixmom

***Thread title is wrong but I can't seem to edit it*** Should be Ruby vs GRAND****

Hello everyone. I am in the very beginning planning stages of a California coastal cruise. Princess has two (one that departs from LA and one that departs from SF) and aside from one Port, all the other ports are the same. I have never been to Monterey or Santa Barbara.

Neither have I been on a Princess ship. My husband sailed on the Star several years ago and LOVES it and my understanding is that the Grand is one of its sister ships. I don't know why he loves it so much other than the sound of the chimes (which I would imagine would be the same across all Princess ships???) and something about going up to a lounge or bar way up high on the back of the ship during departure.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on which they'd prefer and why. If it makes a difference, I think we are looking at a March or April sailing regardless of which we choose.

Thank you!

So I prefer the Ruby to the Grand because I love Shares restaurant. However, San Francisco is my home port and I am a creature of comfort, so I would rather sail from my home port, which is the Grand.

Now, Monterey is beautiful, and Santa Barbara is great for wine tasting.

The Spa has a shower to use on the Ruby but not on the Grand.

Both are lovely ships, however for us, Shares was awesome and we would want to go there more.

Have fun deciding!

I would choose the itinerary with the Ruby Princess over the Grand. We've been on the Ruby, many years ago when Share was Sabatini's, and we loved the whole ship. It is a beautiful ship and a little bit larger than the Grand. Be aware that your husband is probably talking about hanging out in Skywalkers for sail away or other activities, which on the first 4 Grand class ships (Grand, Golden, Star, Caribbean) was something like a shopping cart handle over the stern of the ship. In later Grand Class ships Skywalkers was moved forward to roughly the position of the stack and brought a bit lower on the ship. The Skywalkers on the Ruby is this newer configuration, but the views over the side of the ship are just as spectacular, although you can't see much of the wake from the new Skywalkers position. Skywalkers was removed from the Grand Princess in a lengthy drydock in 2011, mostly due to navigational, efficiency, and structural concerns; therefore the current Grand Princess looks a lot more like the younger sisters with Skywalkers located near the stack, but the Skywalkers space is totally absent from the Grand. If your husband wants to hang out in Skywalkers again, you had better book the Ruby.

So I prefer the Ruby to the Grand because I love Shares restaurant. However, San Francisco is my home port and I am a creature of comfort, so I would rather sail from my home port, which is the Grand.

Now, Monterey is beautiful, and Santa Barbara is great for wine tasting.

The Spa has a shower to use on the Ruby but not on the Grand.

Both are lovely ships, however for us, Shares was awesome and we would want to go there more.

Have fun deciding!

Thank you so much!

I would choose the itinerary with the Ruby Princess over the Grand. We've been on the Ruby, many years ago when Share was Sabatini's, and we loved the whole ship. It is a beautiful ship and a little bit larger than the Grand. Be aware that your husband is probably talking about hanging out in Skywalkers for sail away or other activities, which on the first 4 Grand class ships (Grand, Golden, Star, Caribbean) was something like a shopping cart handle over the stern of the ship. In later Grand Class ships Skywalkers was moved forward to roughly the position of the stack and brought a bit lower on the ship. The Skywalkers on the Ruby is this newer configuration, but the views over the side of the ship are just as spectacular, although you can't see much of the wake from the new Skywalkers position. Skywalkers was removed from the Grand Princess in a lengthy drydock in 2011, mostly due to navigational, efficiency, and structural concerns; therefore the current Grand Princess looks a lot more like the younger sisters with Skywalkers located near the stack, but the Skywalkers space is totally absent from the Grand. If your husband wants to hang out in Skywalkers again, you had better book the Ruby.

Oh that is probably exactly what he is talking about (Skywalkers). Thank you very much! I will pass this along to him. And I guess I better get him to look at current photos of both ships!

I would also go for the Ruby. Monterey iis supposed to be beautiful. I would jump on this as Santa Barbara iis offered often but not Monterey. I would also love to try SHARE, not Shares... So many reasons....

Thank you! Unfortunately the Shore Excursion part of the Princess site seems to be down right now but I will check back later!

Thank you!

We are doing the Ruby in 4 weeks. That one stops at Santa Barbara.

Re: Monterey or Santa Barbara.

Why not do as we did and do both.

We flew into SFO, picked up a rental car and drove to Monterey, staying at the Spindrift on Canning Row

We then drove down the PCH to Santa Barbara (actually stopped overnight at Pismo Beach)

Finally we drove to LA to pick up the cruise where we took a Princess hotel & transfer from LAX.

This worked out better in all respects (cost and convenience) as:

a) it enabled us to drop off the rental car a day early at LAX and take the hotel shuttle

b) avoided a taxi fare to the port from the car rental drop off in Long Beach

c) we didn't see or touch our bags between the time we put them outside our hotel room and the time they appeared in our cabin

I would choose the itin with Monterey. We sailed on the Ruby, but not sailing on the Grand until Sept.

I am told the Grand does not have the center staircase, if that is important to you.

We have been to Santa Barbara several times, and find that for us, there isn't much new to see.

On the other hand, we loved, loved Monterey and will go back.

Patti

I've been on the Grand three times and the Ruby twice (with #3 next year). I like the Ruby more simply because it's newer and I like the way the International Cafe set-up. We've never been to Monterey, so I'm looking forward to that port. If you've never been to Santa Barbara, that's a good port too but it is often missed due to wind or waves. You can't go wrong with either ship or itinerary though.

Thank you! Unfortunately the Shore Excursion part of the Princess site seems to be down right now but I will check back later!

I have been trying to see shore excursions for Monterrey for a month or so. I'd love to know if they offer any.

Edited by CATGUY7
Spelling

I have been trying to see shore excursions for Monterrey for a month or so. I'd love to know if they offer any.

I have no idea about the excursion on the ship. But there is the aquarium, and it is not that far from the wharf in a taxi. It is in Cannery row. I am so used to the town and go often so I just know driving for me is easy. There is shopping there as well. Maybe they do some excursion for pebble beach, or maybe the shopping in carmel. They might offer golf of some sort. Carmel is not that far from Monterey. If I am seeing the time it is from 7 am to 6 pm. They may offer the scenic tour for 17 mile drive. They may offer some whale watching tour as well. Hope this helps a little bit of what they may offer for you there.

I would choose to go to Monterey. I would only go to Santa Barbara because the ship was stopping there and not because I would want to go there. Monterey has a lot to offer no matter what you enjoy. Santa Barbara is more about boutique restaurants and wine tasting.

I have no idea about the excursion on the ship. But there is the aquarium, and it is not that far from the wharf in a taxi. It is in Cannery row. I am so used to the town and go often so I just know driving for me is easy. There is shopping there as well. Maybe they do some excursion for pebble beach, or maybe the shopping in carmel. They might offer golf of some sort. Carmel is not that far from Monterey. If I am seeing the time it is from 7 am to 6 pm. They may offer the scenic tour for 17 mile drive. They may offer some whale watching tour as well. Hope this helps a little bit of what they may offer for you there.

It does help - thank you.

I can't speak to the ships, but I can speak about the ports. We did a similar itinerary on Celebrity about the years ago. We'd been to Santa Barbara before, so we rented a car and drove to Solvang, which is a very cool, Danish inspired town. In Monterey, we rented a convertible and drive the scenic 17 mile drive with a stop at Pebble Beach for lunch. The chocolate fondue is worth the journey alone. There are also plenty of places to do along the way. As simple as this drive was, it was one of our favorites of the entire trip.

My $.02 worth.

If you are a foodie, SHARE, on the Ruby, is an outstanding restaurant--$39 pp cover charge. It also has a steak, chops and seafood venue called the Crown Grill ($29 pp). However, the Grand, in addition to Sabatini's (Italian) and Crown Grill (same as on the Ruby) which are also both upcharge venues ($29 pp), has an excellent sit-down pizzeria called Alfredo's with no extra charge. For the sake of completeness, both ships have the Prego Pizzeria (by the slice) on the Lido deck.

To me choosing between Monterey and Santa Barbara is, pretty much, a toss-up. Both have their "quaintness," both have nice dining venues, both have shopping, both have history, both have local wineries. It's a 4-hour drive for us to get to Santa Barbara. So, we are there a couple times per year. The Monterey Aquarium would tip the scales for us.

It looks like the OP is traveling to the departure port. Do you have time (and desire) to visit and tour prior to departure or after the cruise? That, to me, might tip the scales to San Francisco. The berth is right there in the city. If you can spend a couple days in a local hotel, touring that city is very easy. The Los Angeles port is in San Pedro. There are some nice hotels in San Pedro that many cruisers use, but getting to tourist destinations from takes a bit more effort and planning.

Have a great cruise.

Just curious, is the Monterrey Aquarium bigger or better than the one in Long Beach? I was pretty much blown away by the one in Long Beach by its sheer size and variety of sea life.

However, I would prefer to not spend an entire day at an aquarium when there are other things to do and see and that is why my question of comparing the two. If they are similar enough, I would take the ship with the itinerary that goes out of San Pedro and simply arrive a day before or stay a day longer and visit the Long Beach aquarium.

Monterrey, the city, is pretty much just a tourist town to me, never much impressed with it. However, 17 mile drive is quite beautiful and Carmel is quite charming.

I would chose itinerary over ship and a choice cruise port. You cannot beat San Francisco as a cruise port if you have the time to add a day or two on either ends of your cruise.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Monterey is one of my favorite places in the whole world! It's beautiful, historical, and has some great food. Carmel is wonderful too. It's a quaint little village that leads to an amazing beach. The weather might be better in Santa Barbara at that time of year, but you never know. The Monterey Bay Aquarium is fabulous! I dont know if its bigger than the one in Long Beach though since Ive never been there. It's definitely worth seeing. Fishermans Wharf is fun too. They have some great restaurants and a lot of souvenir shops. There are also whale watching tours that leave from there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 months later...