Orca Quest Cruise -- Major Marine

Italy52

"New for 2017! Orca Quest Cruise." Major Marine out of Seward is offering this excursion. Is anyone going on this? If so, would you be willing to post your experience on this board? Thanks in advance.

• 4 months later...
Thanks for the TA link, I did read some of the reviews. Like you, I was hoping for some CC reviews. We are booked for next May --- guess I will just have to wait for our own experience.

If Orcas are a priority for you, I'd suggest taking a trip out of Vancouver instead (or as well if you want to double-down on potential sightings). While it's not 100% guaranteed even down here, with the resident pods your chances are very good (all local Victoria/Vancouver companies I'm aware of generally claim 90-95% success rate across the whole season). Any cruise that goes to Seward starts in Vancouver - I know you've visited us at least a couple of time before, but did you ever try a local whalewatch? Even worst-case with no whales spotted at all, as a repeat visitor you'd be able to make use of the local guarantees (which are 'keep taking free trips until you do see a whale' rather than 'have $100' like in AK).

I'm guessing from the very tight time restriction of that Seward tour, just one month, that this is peak Orca-spotting in the area - but since undoubtedly they're coming in for a specific food source (I imagine mostly the seals which will be returning to their breeding grounds in May) you'll still have less-reliable sightings than down in this neck of the woods where there are always fish around for our residents. I also note that there is no money back guarantee on this tour, in comparison to most of the other AK whalewatch tours, which tells me that they have a much lower expectation of sightings and therefore the guarantee would actually cost them!

If Orcas are a priority for you, I'd suggest taking a trip out of Vancouver instead (or as well if you want to double-down on potential sightings). While it's not 100% guaranteed even down here, with the resident pods your chances are very good (all local Victoria/Vancouver companies I'm aware of generally claim 90-95% success rate across the whole season). Any cruise that goes to Seward starts in Vancouver - I know you've visited us at least a couple of time before, but did you ever try a local whalewatch? Even worst-case with no whales spotted at all, as a repeat visitor you'd be able to make use of the local guarantees (which are 'keep taking free trips until you do see a whale' rather than 'have $100' like in AK).

I'm guessing from the very tight time restriction of that Seward tour, just one month, that this is peak Orca-spotting in the area - but since undoubtedly they're coming in for a specific food source (I imagine mostly the seals which will be returning to their breeding grounds in May) you'll still have less-reliable sightings than down in this neck of the woods where there are always fish around for our residents. I also note that there is no money back guarantee on this tour, in comparison to most of the other AK whalewatch tours, which tells me that they have a much lower expectation of sightings and therefore the guarantee would actually cost them!

Thanks for the suggestion. We did a whale watching tour out of Victoria because we had heard great things about Orcas there. Guess what, I guess we were in the minority because we didn't see any orca, just ONE humpback and that was off in the distance. We will be back in Vancouver in May 2018 so might take a look again at local whale watching.

Thanks for the suggestion. We did a whale watching tour out of Victoria because we had heard great things about Orcas there. Guess what, I guess we were in the minority because we didn't see any orca, just ONE humpback and that was off in the distance. We will be back in Vancouver in May 2018 so might take a look again at local whale watching.

That's a bummer - whales of any flavour mean no free trip. We've been getting more baleen whales hanging around in recent years as the herring population has increased, with some part-time resident Grays who are sensible enough to stay here where the fish are ~25% cheaper;) If that continues you may end up more likely to see humpbacks or grays than orcas - but it'll be a long way off as the JKL pods make up the bread & butter of Victoria/Vancouver sightings except perhaps during the migration periods very early and late in the season.

You're actually more likely to get success on a trip with Wild Whales (the only actual Vancouver-based company - others are in Steveston, Richmond. Well, I suppose the one Prince of Whales boat that does the super-pricey whalewatch trips to Victoria from downtown also counts but it's almost 3x the price) than Victoria or Steveston folks as they have no fixed trip length - they stay out at least three but as long as seven hours to maximise sighting potential (and minimise the need to offer guarantee freebie trips!) which gives them about double the range of any other company. Even then there's a chance of no whales within cruising range of course.

This is part of a response I received from Major Marine this afternoon.

" This year's Orca Quest ran better than we thought it would, so we are very excited to see what happens in 2018. We saw Orcas practically everyday, and in large pods as well, up to 16 in a pod."

This is part of a response I received from Major Marine this afternoon.

" This year's Orca Quest ran better than we thought it would, so we are very excited to see what happens in 2018. We saw Orcas practically everyday, and in large pods as well, up to 16 in a pod."

After many trips to Alaska I accept the fact that what happens one time might not happen the next. However, I am a big believer that there is always hope --- and hope I will have that we have the same experience in May 2018 that Major Marine had this year. Thanks for posting the feedback from Major Marine.

After many trips to Alaska I accept the fact that what happens one time might not happen the next. However, I am a big believer that there is always hope --- and hope I will have that we have the same experience in May 2018 that Major Marine had this year. Thanks for posting the feedback from Major Marine.

I have booked this trip for next May as well and have the same outlook as you do, I'm sure it will be wonderful regardless.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

That's a bummer - whales of any flavour mean no free trip. We've been getting more baleen whales hanging around in recent years as the herring population has increased, with some part-time resident Grays who are sensible enough to stay here where the fish are ~25% cheaper;) If that continues you may end up more likely to see humpbacks or grays than orcas - but it'll be a long way off as the JKL pods make up the bread & butter of Victoria/Vancouver sightings except perhaps during the migration periods very early and late in the season.

You're actually more likely to get success on a trip with Wild Whales (the only actual Vancouver-based company - others are in Steveston, Richmond. Well, I suppose the one Prince of Whales boat that does the super-pricey whalewatch trips to Victoria from downtown also counts but it's almost 3x the price) than Victoria or Steveston folks as they have no fixed trip length - they stay out at least three but as long as seven hours to maximise sighting potential (and minimise the need to offer guarantee freebie trips!) which gives them about double the range of any other company. Even then there's a chance of no whales within cruising range of course.

Prince of Whales offer a 3-5 hour whale watch from Vancouver (departs from Westin Bayshore) for $160, Wild Whales is $135... Not a huge price difference. I appreciate Wild Whales is a very flexible time on the water but that might not suit everyone.

Prince of Whales offer a 3-5 hour whale watch from Vancouver (departs from Westin Bayshore) for $160, Wild Whales is $135... Not a huge price difference. I appreciate Wild Whales is a very flexible time on the water but that might not suit everyone.

Thanks for the correction - I'd entirely forgotten about PoW's RT tour from the Bayshore's dock. I was also confusing the over $300pp to Seattle with with ~$200pp to Victoria product pricing, so it's doubly-good that you made me go and recheck:o In comparison to the ludicrously overpriced V2V ferry, the Victoria PoW offering now actually looks quite attractive!

Still, $25 extra for less time on the water isn't great compared to WW's tour - it's not like Granville Island is much harder or more expensive to get to than the Bayshore from most downtown hotels and the number of folks who could spend 5.5 hours (check in plus max PoW tour length) but could not spend 7.5 on a tour doesn't seem likely to be a huge proportion. I suppose it's comparable to the Steveston-based tours for folks who use their shuttles from downtown though, which pad the price and total time - but those are generally much more specific about length so you'd know just what you were signing up for instead of having 2+hours variability with PoW or WW.

Being that the distance is significant to get out of Seward and the 2 resident orca pods have big ranges, I would hope there is some sort of "tracking" involved? This is a major reason why Vancouver Island and those 6 pods are easily identified. BUT, orcas are a priority, then I'm a firm believer that MULTIPLE runs have to be made, not just count on a single trip. My opinion only.

I go out on at least 20 whale watch trips- per year. This year has around 40 in 3 areas, Alaska, Hawaii, Ma. I went out 4 times this year out of Seward- with my usual of 50% sightings stats of orcas. Had an excellent view of one of the northern resident Vancouver orca pods in August. My preference is absolutely to park myslef up by Port Hardy for a week and go out every day. :)

Don't expect a lot from a single trip. Stack the decks and consider every opportunity to hedge the bets.

Not sure why all the mentions in responses to OP of them taking 'a single trip'. They were just asking about information in one specific area. For all we know they may have whale watching booked in every available port!

I too am doing this trip next year... as well as trips in Juneau, Icy Strait and Vancouver!

Not sure why all the mentions in responses to OP of them taking 'a single trip'. They were just asking about information in one specific area. For all we know they may have whale watching booked in every available port!

I too am doing this trip next year... as well as trips in Juneau, Icy Strait and Vancouver!

I got a notice stating that our Orca Quest excursion will now be at 1 PM instead of noon. Did you receive the same? We are doing the May 18th excursion.

We will also be doing multiple whale watching trips: 2 in Juneau, 2 in Icy Strait, 1 in Seward and possibly 1 in Vancouver.

I got a notice stating that our Orca Quest excursion will now be at 1 PM instead of noon. Did you receive the same? We are doing the May 18th excursion.

We will also be doing multiple whale watching trips: 2 in Juneau, 2 in Icy Strait, 1 in Seward and possibly 1 in Vancouver.

Yes I did receive that email. Do the timings still work OK for you doing it on turnaround day? I'll be doing it on 24th which is the day before we join our ship, so the new time works quite nicely for us and gives a slower start after our long drive the day before.

I'm sure you are going to have wonderful trips. I know you mentioned previously about going with Jayleen. Have you seen that both her and Emily will be taking trips out next season, so if you have a preference you should let her know. It didn't say that when I booked months ago so I dropped her an email last week. Just thought I'd mention it in case you have a preference :)

Yes I did receive that email. Do the timings still work OK for you doing it on turnaround day? I'll be doing it on 24th which is the day before we join our ship, so the new time works quite nicely for us and gives a slower start after our long drive the day before.

I'm sure you are going to have wonderful trips. I know you mentioned previously about going with Jayleen. Have you seen that both her and Emily will be taking trips out next season, so if you have a preference you should let her know. It didn't say that when I booked months ago so I dropped her an email last week. Just thought I'd mention it in case you have a preference :)

Yes, timing still works on turnaround day. When we take the Kenai Fjord tour out of Seward we normally get back at 5:30 PM; the Orca tour will be 5 PM --- never had a problem getting back to the ship on time. On turnaround day, we are given a "In transit" card to present to the cruise line agents so all we have to do is go through the security line --- very easy.

Yes, I have seen that Emily will be taking trips next season; we are signed up for both tours with Jayleen. However, if something were to change and we had to go with Emily, I have no doubt that we will still have a good experience. Thanks for the "heads up."