New Luxury Cruise Ships on Order

LauraS

I think the Viking expansion into the Ocean category is an interesting one. I just came back from a river cruise (lady night!) my first. They have a very smooth running operation. It would be hard to find fault.

What is interesting to me is that no one I met was interested in booking an ocean cruise And few that had cruised were ever on luxury cruise ships...

I am sure that Viking studied this up and down. Personally I love the design and they do offer some interesting itineraries. But I couldn't help but to wonder if the luxury market is becoming saturated. Or maybe each line has a specific niche.

I think the Viking expansion into the Ocean category is an interesting one. I just came back from a river cruise (lady night!) my first. They have a very smooth running operation. It would be hard to find fault.

What is interesting to me is that no one I met was interested in booking an ocean cruise And few that had cruised were ever on luxury cruise ships...

I am sure that Viking studied this up and down. Personally I love the design and they do offer some interesting itineraries. But I couldn't help but to wonder if the luxury market is becoming saturated. Or maybe each line has a specific niche.

With all due respect to Cruise Critic, their "luxury" cruise lines are a mix of upper-premium and luxury. In the U.S., the recognized luxury cruise lines are Crystal, Paul Gauguin, Regent, Seabourn, Seadream Yacht Club and Silversea. Those recognized by most cruisers as being upper-premium (or luxury lite) are Azamara, Oceania and Viking Ocean. Then there are the foreign luxury lines - not frequented by North Americans as much, luxury river cruise boats, luxury yachts and probably some categories that I haven't thought of.

While the above may be argued, all of the luxury passengers that we have met over the last 13 1/2 years discuss these luxury lines and sometimes discuss trying upper-premium cruise lines. River cruises are a different subject altogether and, for whatever reason, the foreign cruise lines are not discussed (at least no one we have dined with or spoken with in the lounge have mentioned them).