Sailing on the Regal Princess for the First Time. Any Advise or Recommendations?

jennaja

Hi Everyone,

We're excited to be sailing on the Regal Princess for the first time this weekend. It's our first time on a Royal class ship.

Any recommendations on regarding not to miss venues or activities? What's your favorite place for embarkation day lunch? How do we find it?

What's special about the Regal Princess, as opposed to the older ships we've sailed on (Ruby, Sun, Dawn, Sea, Golden and Grand?)

Thanks in advance for any input!:)

Our favorite place for lunch on embarkation day is Alfredos, a casual Italian bistro type restaurant on Deck 6 midship in piazza area.

They have salads, pizza and a few other specialties. I love the veal ravioli and the eggplant. Good tiramisu too.

While we love the buffet on the Regal it can be hectic on embarkation day. If you don't feel like going to the dining room for dinner here and there try the dinner buffet on the Regal, it is excellent

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Everyone,

We're excited to be sailing on the Regal Princess for the first time this weekend. It's our first time on a Royal class ship.

Any recommendations on regarding not to miss venues or activities? What's your favorite place for embarkation day lunch? How do we find it?

What's special about the Regal Princess, as opposed to the older ships we've sailed on (Ruby, Sun, Dawn, Sea, Golden and Grand?)

We like Alfredo's for lunch, not just on embarkation day, but any day. The International cafe is also a nice place. The Regal has an extensive buffet.

The Regal is different from other Sun and Grand Class ships you have been on. Some nice things, some not as nice. For example, no truly walkable promenade like other ships. The horizon Terrace is a nice place to sit, have your buffet meal, or just have tea or coffee. It could be cool there on your voyage. Many of the ship's parties take place in the Piazza area. The ship does not have any lounge large enough to hold parties.

Alfredo's is great for lunch but be aware that most crew will try to direct you to the buffet. As soon as we stepped on board a crew member was telling us to come this way to the buffet. I imagine they've been told that most will want to go to the buffet so they're trying to be helpful. Just ignore them and head to Alfredo's.

Hi Everyone,

Can't give any advice regarding The Regal but we sailed on The Royal this year and the two ships are identical I believe. We loved to eat at the international cafe when we boarded It was interesting watching everyone as it was our first cruise. Stunning ship and i'm sure The Regal is too

Can't give any advice regarding The Regal but we sailed on The Royal this year and the two ships are identical I believe. We loved to eat at the international cafe when we boarded It was interesting watching everyone as it was our first cruise. Stunning ship and i'm sure The Regal is too

We are beyond excited for this cruise! Just hoping Hurricane Jose doesn't mess with us.

You've gotten some great advice so far. We went straight to Alfredo's on our cruise on the Regal and had a fantastic lunch and there were only 3 other couples there so no fighting the crowd at the buffet. The buffet is outstanding and we ended up eating many of our dinners there. Loved the variety and the theme nights in the buffet.

If you have a balcony, try the UBD (Ultimate Balcony Dining) that is $100 ($50 pp). Well worth it and a lot of food. We found the lobster to be much better than what you get in the MDR.

If you like trivia and games, check out Princess Live! on the Regal. In previous cruises, we never really went to events like these but we have a great time with the events held in Princess Live!

Enjoy your trip on the Regal. One of the best cruises we've had was on her.

Is the main dining room open on embarkation day? Where is it located?

Yes, one of the dining rooms at midship will be open from noon to 1:30. Just check one. If it's not open the other will be.

The MDR lunch is always a nice calm way to start your cruise. But I tend to agree with most here and go for Alfredo's. That's because its more relaxing than the buffet and not as long a process as the full dining room lunch. It lets you eat a nice meal and still get out in maybe 45 minutes to explore the ship if you want.

One little feature I liked about the Regal and Royal was the walking/jogging track up on Deck 18. There are a number of odd low-tech exercise contraptions scattered around and, at least on warm days, they often have a water station and a little fruit-on-a-stick stop you can partake in as you circle the track.

Jim

Our favorite place for lunch on embarkation day is Alfredos, a casual Italian bistro type restaurant on Deck 6 midship in piazza area.

They have salads, pizza and a few other specialties. I love the veal ravioli and the eggplant. Good tiramisu too.

While we love the buffet on the Regal it can be hectic on embarkation day. If you don't feel like going to the dining room for dinner here and there try the dinner buffet on the Regal, it is excellent

Alfredos sounds yummy. Where do we find it, since it appears the staff will be trying to send us to the buffet?

BTW, what's special about Regal's buffet? We're not usually a fan of buffets, but will give it a try if there's something special about it.

You've gotten some great advice so far. We went straight to Alfredo's on our cruise on the Regal and had a fantastic lunch and there were only 3 other couples there so no fighting the crowd at the buffet. The buffet is outstanding and we ended up eating many of our dinners there. Loved the variety and the theme nights in the buffet.

If you have a balcony, try the UBD (Ultimate Balcony Dining) that is $100 ($50 pp). Well worth it and a lot of food. We found the lobster to be much better than what you get in the MDR.

If you like trivia and games, check out Princess Live! on the Regal. In previous cruises, we never really went to events like these but we have a great time with the events held in Princess Live!

Enjoy your trip on the Regal. One of the best cruises we've had was on her.

Thanks, we're really looking forward to it! Due to my job, I have to wait til the last minute to book, and Princess is usually sold out on the itineraries we want. We feel really lucky to have gotten a cabin on this sailing.

Yes, one of the dining rooms at midship will be open from noon to 1:30. Just check one. If it's not open the other will be.

The MDR lunch is always a nice calm way to start your cruise. But I tend to agree with most here and go for Alfredo's. That's because its more relaxing than the buffet and not as long a process as the full dining room lunch. It lets you eat a nice meal and still get out in maybe 45 minutes to explore the ship if you want.

One little feature I liked about the Regal and Royal was the walking/jogging track up on Deck 18. There are a number of odd low-tech exercise contraptions scattered around and, at least on warm days, they often have a water station and a little fruit-on-a-stick stop you can partake in as you circle the track.

Jim

Sounds like we'll have lots of good options to choose from! Thanks for the information.

BTW, what's special about Regal's buffet? We're not usually a fan of buffets, but will give it a try if there's something special about it.

Regal/Royal buffet is so much bigger than other ships' buffets, and offers a lot more fancy choices. Plus, Chocolate Journey desserts are also available at the buffet. And once day they even had sushi - it was an Asian/Japanese themed lunch. Terrific!

I usually go for all the seafood choices.

Alfredo's is right in the middle of the ship in Piazza. It's a specialty restaurant, and we always thought we had to pay, so we never tried it. We will this time!